Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting issues anyone.  (Read 2007 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Starting issues anyone.
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »

Since new, my bike has had this quirk where on occasion it won't start on inital push of the start button. Only happens on a dead cold engine and when you let off the start button and hit it again it fires up every time. This isn't a common occurence, just every now and then. Happened this morning prompting this post. No big deal but wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Dealer can't duplicate the problem, what's new.
 Gasry

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Starting issues anyone.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:43 AM »

Since new, my bike has had this quirk where on occasion it won't start on inital push of the start button. Only happens on a dead cold engine and when you let off the start button and hit it again it fires up every time. This isn't a common occurence, just every now and then. Happened this morning prompting this post. No big deal but wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Dealer can't duplicate the problem, what's new.
 Gasry

Does the starter turn the engine over but it doesn't start, or do you mean you push the button and nothing happens?  The first is fairly common, the second is definitely not.  Often if you just "punch" the start button rather than hold it down, the engine won't start if it doesn't happen to hit just right on that first revolution.  Try holding the button down until the engine actually starts.  Also, make sure you're letting the fuel pump fully pressurize the fuel lines and injectors before you hit the start button.  In theory it shouldn't make a big difference, but for whatever reason Harley's don't seem to hold system pressure when not running as well as other vehicles. 

My SEEG had the same issue you mention, even when I definitely let the fuel system pressurize properly and forced myself to hold the start button longer.  Not always, and mine didn't seem to care if it was cold or hot.  I eliminated 99.8% of the issue by going into the start fuel setting in my PCIII and adding a little more fuel (5%) for the first 10 rpms.  If you have a tuning device with that capability, you might try adding just a little fuel at startup and see if it helps.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Starting issues anyone.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:36:21 AM »

The engine turns over fine Jerry. You can hear the compression releases working. I've held the start button down for a long time but it never starts. I thought about the fuel pressure and listened closely to make sure the pump primes. It does but bike still didn't start. One mechanic says it has to do with where the engine shuts off after a ride. Don't know what that has to do with anything. One guy says it could be the compression releases. That makes no sense to me either. I know a local Bob owner and he's never had the problem. As I said, it doesn't happen that often and it always fires after re-hitting the button so it's no big deal. Just a curiosity. Thanks for the reply.
 Gary

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.