Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39643 times)

fasttruck

ipod interface install
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »

Has anyone out there installed the Boom ipod intrface yet ??  Did it work as h-d says it will ??  How hard was it to install ??  Just a plug and play or some fun ?? wiring   I saw this in the new parts book and thought it looked  good  Thanks for your help   fasttruck

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 05:44:26 AM »

Has anyone out there installed the Boom ipod intrface yet ??  Did it work as h-d says it will ??  How hard was it to install ??  Just a plug and play or some fun ?? wiring   I saw this in the new parts book and thought it looked  good  Thanks for your help   fasttruck

I don't know if anybody has done it, but here is a thread with some interesting reading and some alternatives since that module is pricey....just my $.02

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52255.0

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:01:51 AM »

I just ordered one, but was told it might take a couple of weeks. Also, be aware that you need to buy the extra $85 cable if you want the ipod in the trunk!  Wasn't counting on that!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:03:28 AM »

I just ordered one, but was told it might take a couple of weeks. Also, be aware that you need to buy the extra $85 cable if you want the ipod in the trunk!  Wasn't counting on that!

Hope you ordered from a 20% off dealer!

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »

Mine's sitting at home waiting to be installed this weekend.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:18:11 PM »

Mine's sitting at home waiting to be installed this weekend.
What are the chances of getting you to scan the instructions and post them??   :)

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 05:15:29 PM »

I actually got a pre-copy from the Dealership, but I won't have access to a scanner until tomorrow late.  Anything in particular you want to know I can look at for you?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 06:14:23 PM »

I'm just trying to get a good overview to figure out what I'm up against.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 11:41:25 AM »

Not a bad install at all.  The hardest part was getting to an inner port in the 35 pin connector for the radio.  Basically, there are 5 dummy plugs in this connector.  You remove the dummy plugs, insert the wires from the interface, unplug another connector and hook the interface in between them, mount the unit, and you're done.  It took me about an hour because I had problems figuring out how to get the new pins in the plug correctly.  Once I RTFM, it was easy.

When the module is installed, you now get an iPod option on the screen, along with AM/FM Weather CD Intercom and CB.  Select iPod, and you can then use the soft keys on the radio to browse playlists, artists, albums or songs.  Works fine.  I think I may get the extension and move the iPod to the tour pack, that way I won't have to cut any holes, just use the existing ones.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 11:46:36 AM »

Not a bad install at all.  The hardest part was getting to an inner port in the 35 pin connector for the radio.  Basically, there are 5 dummy plugs in this connector.  You remove the dummy plugs, insert the wires from the interface, unplug another connector and hook the interface in between them, mount the unit, and you're done.  It took me about an hour because I had problems figuring out how to get the new pins in the plug correctly.  Once I RTFM, it was easy.

When the module is installed, you now get an iPod option on the screen, along with AM/FM Weather CD Intercom and CB.  Select iPod, and you can then use the soft keys on the radio to browse playlists, artists, albums or songs.  Works fine.  I think I may get the extension and move the iPod to the tour pack, that way I won't have to cut any holes, just use the existing ones.

Does anyone know yet if this extension cable to reach tour pak or saddlebags has a disconnect in it to more easily allow removing bags or tour pak?

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:36 PM »

It has a disconnect, but you'd have to have the disconnect located under the seat in order to remove it easily.  The install says drill a hole, install the cable through the hole, then install a grommet in the hole.

I don't believe the disconnect, which is the same one I have as the cable is nothing but an extension cable, is waterproof

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »

Where exactly does the unit mount? The concern I have is, with the 250w J&M amp, you have to remove the existing CB and XM modules, and mount those under the shelf. The amp is then mounted on top of the shelf where the CB & XM modules were.  So, if this new Ipod unit is to be mounted under the shelf, that's going to pose a conflict.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

It is made to mount where your XM was, next to the CB.  It says if you already have both units, there is an additional bracket that will allow it to be mounted on top of the 2, but in your case, I don't know wher you'd put it.  It's cabled to the bike, so you could put it anywhere it'd fit under the fairing.  It's about the same size as the CB module (I don't have the XM to se ehow big it is).

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 04:40:14 PM »

Thanks man - I supposed I could loose the XM which I don't use anyway.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2010, 04:47:55 PM »

If you do, I'm sure you could sell the module here to someone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.