Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39640 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 06:55:32 AM »

It has a disconnect, but you'd have to have the disconnect located under the seat in order to remove it easily.  The install says drill a hole, install the cable through the hole, then install a grommet in the hole.

I don't believe the disconnect, which is the same one I have as the cable is nothing but an extension cable, is waterproof
Steve my Ipod mod should get here on Tuesdays, I'm still trying with this stuff. So you need to have a extension cable also? Do you have that part number so I can order that ahead of time.

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

Not a bad install at all.  The hardest part was getting to an inner port in the 35 pin connector for the radio.  Basically, there are 5 dummy plugs in this connector.  You remove the dummy plugs, insert the wires from the interface, unplug another connector and hook the interface in between them, mount the unit, and you're done.  It took me about an hour because I had problems figuring out how to get the new pins in the plug correctly.  Once I RTFM, it was easy.

When the module is installed, you now get an iPod option on the screen, along with AM/FM Weather CD Intercom and CB.  Select iPod, and you can then use the soft keys on the radio to browse playlists, artists, albums or songs.  Works fine.  I think I may get the extension and move the iPod to the tour pack, that way I won't have to cut any holes, just use the existing ones.

You said "soft radio buttons".

I hope you can use the normal buttons at each hand grip. I can do almost the same as the act touch buttons now.

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 07:58:58 PM »

You can use the normal handlebar switches, radio soft switches come in when you want to play a particular playlist, artist, genre, etc....  Just playing songs and skipping once you are in any of the above works with handlebar controls.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:01:11 PM »

Steve my Ipod mod should get here on Tuesdays, I'm still trying with this stuff. So you need to have a extension cable also? Do you have that part number so I can order that ahead of time.

Trey

Extension not needed initially.  The cable is easily long enough to get to windshield bags.  If you choose to put the iPod elsewhere, like saddlebag (as they intended, which I think is stupid) or tourpack, you need the extension.  I am no longer home with the instructions, so I can't give you the number.  Any dealership should be able to pull it up.  It retails around $95.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »

You can use the normal handlebar switches, radio soft switches come in when you want to play a particular playlist, artist, genre, etc....  Just playing songs and skipping once you are in any of the above works with handlebar controls.

Steve, don't mean to  :beatdeadhorse: but I was under the impression that with the handlebar controls you could scroll through playlists, pick songs, etc, or just about anything you could do with the front iPod scroll wheel.  Also all the items shown on the iPod screen would show up on the HK main screen, albeit text only of course.

If I still have to use the soft touch HK radio buttons, it's not much better than what I have now.

Thanks for the input though.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »

The instructions state you can do that.  If you can, I can't figure it out.  I can skip songs with the handlebar controls, and everything does show on the screen....but to select a playlist and scroll through, looking for a particular song, for that I can only figure out how to do it with the radio soft buttons.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 01:07:08 PM »

The instructions state you can do that.  If you can, I can't figure it out.  I can skip songs with the handlebar controls, and everything does show on the screen....but to select a playlist and scroll through, looking for a particular song, for that I can only figure out how to do it with the radio soft buttons.

Steve, thanks for the help.  As long as the instructions say you can do it all from the handlebar controls, I think I'm going to let loose with the money and get one on the way.

You don't by chance have the ability to post the instruction sheet do you?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 01:49:38 PM »

Steve, thanks for the help.  As long as the instructions say you can do it all from the handlebar controls, I think I'm going to let loose with the money and get one on the way.

You don't by chance have the ability to post the instruction sheet do you?

Thanks.

I just got off the phone with Jenni at Tri-County HD in OH and they have these in stock.

She said that they've sold quite a few of these, but she has only played with them at the HD show in Vegas.  She said that you can do anything on the handlebars that you can do on the front iPod scroll wheel.

I should have mine by this weekend for an install on Saturday.

I'll let you all know how mine turns out and if I can figure out what buttons to push.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:15:58 PM by Dan_Lockwood »
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »

I don't have the instructions with me to scan, sorry.

Let me know how the install goes and if you can figure out how to use the handlebar controls for everything.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:41 PM »

Boom! Audio™ iPod Interface

Available exclusively for models equipped with the Harley-Davidson® Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon. The Boom! Audio™ iPod interface allows you to access your iPod playlists, artists, songs, and albums while you keep your hands on the handlebar. At the touch of your fingertips, you can use the factory audio hand controls to scan through the iPod menus, and view the selections on the radio face. The module mounts directly to the radio, and is concealed inside the fairing for a clean look. Just plug in your iPod nano, iTouch, or iPhone device and hit the road. Kit includes a powered iPod cable that charges your player when it is connected to the system and the bike is turned on. The iPod can be remotely stored in the saddlebag with the separate purchase of P/N 90200002 and Cable P/N 72648-11.

76476-10

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTCUTG, FLHX, FLHXXX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLTRU models equipped with an Advanced Audio radio. '06-later FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLHTC models and those not equipped with wiring harness P/N 70169-06 require the separate purchase of Connector Kit P/N 69200033.

MSRP US $399.95

Even with 20% off online that seems like a very steep price!  Think I'll just stick with my playlists! 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »

Boom! Audio™ iPod Interface

Available exclusively for models equipped with the Harley-Davidson® Advanced Audio System by Harman/Kardon. The Boom! Audio™ iPod interface allows you to access your iPod playlists, artists, songs, and albums while you keep your hands on the handlebar. At the touch of your fingertips, you can use the factory audio hand controls to scan through the iPod menus, and view the selections on the radio face. The module mounts directly to the radio, and is concealed inside the fairing for a clean look. Just plug in your iPod nano, iTouch, or iPhone device and hit the road. Kit includes a powered iPod cable that charges your player when it is connected to the system and the bike is turned on. The iPod can be remotely stored in the saddlebag with the separate purchase of P/N 90200002 and Cable P/N 72648-11.

76476-10

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits '06-later FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTCUTG, FLHX, FLHXXX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLTRU models equipped with an Advanced Audio radio. '06-later FLHX, FLTR, FLTRX, and FLHTC models and those not equipped with wiring harness P/N 70169-06 require the separate purchase of Connector Kit P/N 69200033.

MSRP US $399.95

Even with 20% off online that seems like a very steep price!  Think I'll just stick with my playlists! 

Don't forget about the additional cable if you want to put it in your saddlebag. I think that's another $85!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 11:30:45 AM »

I just got off the phone with Jenni at Tri-County HD in OH and they have these in stock.

She said that they've sold quite a few of these, but she has only played with them at the HD show in Vegas.  She said that you can do anything on the handlebars that you can do on the front iPod scroll wheel.

I should have mine by this weekend for an install on Saturday.

I'll let you all know how mine turns out and if I can figure out what buttons to push.

I ordered my iPod Interface Kit from Jenni on Wednesday this week and it arrived yesterday, Friday.

I will scan the instructions sometime this weekend and post them.

So far from the instructions it looks pretty simple.  If I can do it anyone can simple...

I'm really looking forward to being able to change a playlist while riding.  I setup to listen to, say 100 Elvis songs and by the time we hit 10 of them I'm bored and want to change out the playlist.

I think I do things a bit differently on my iTunes than most do.  Yes, I do have collections of songs, Guitar Rock of the '70s, Motown, Folk, '60s, '70s, Jukebox favorites of the '50s/'60s, etc. but I keep all my artist's greatest in playlists as well.  So I can do Elvis for a couple hundred songs, the Kinks for about 50 songs, the Beatles for about 300 songs, Jazz for a few hundred etc.

My problem now is that I have my iPod Classic loaded with about 95 gig of music (160 gig total) and about 300 playlists.  Since I did that I have dumped my old hard drive and put in two new 1T drives and keep all my music on the slave drive.  Now that I've reinstalled the new iTunes I have all my 85k songs, but no play lists.  I have to start all over again with the playlists.  Yes, there are "some" duplicate songs in my iTunes because I have lots of Greatest Hits that have the same song in them as the original album. 

I was thinking of getting the XM module from someone here, but even at a fair price along with the subscription, I felt at the time it wasn't worth it.  Now that we have the iPod interface and I have all the songs that I would have paid to listen to, the iPod interface was a better option for me

I'll post how it all went down at the end of the weekend.

Thanks to all here with the suggestions and information.
So I think the
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Bigdog6996

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »

I installed my iPod interface and nim this am and in went very easy. Followed the directions and everything worked fine.  Still trying to figure out the playlists from the handlebar controls, but all else works as stated.

Happy trails. :mango:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »

Well it's like this, with my '09 SERG I did NOT have the 35 pin plug that I believe the Classics, Ultras would have with the XM or CB or intercom would have.

When you read the info it's not real clear what you need to order to install this.

How do you know if your bike has the wiring harness P/N 70169-06?  It's obvious now that I do NOT have this harness on my bike.

It does say that if I have a FLTR that I would need to order the Connector Kit P/N 69200033.  It's only $19.95 and if I would have known this BEFORE I ordered my kit, I'd have ordered it with it.

The problem is that these are very new kits and if you ask the dealership, even Tri-County, they are not familiar enough to ask what bike this is going on and then suggest that you order the extra harness.

What I'm saying is that you do need this 35-pin connector kit to finish the install.  After reading the instructions and looking my bike over very good, I think this is the last item I'll need for the install.  Guess what, nobody is stocking these, even if they stock the iPod Interface kit, they do not have the connector harness, at least the dealerships locally in the St. Louis area.

I've scanned the instructions and they will be posted in the next four posts.

So after all this I still have to tear it back down for a second time and finish it up...

Page 1 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »

Page 2 of 5

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.