Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Author Topic: ipod interface install  (Read 39781 times)

CVOIRA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Scarlett Red Pearl & Dark Slate
Re: ipod interface install
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2010, 01:51:04 AM »

I have a 2010 cvo ultra and just received the I pod interface. I spent the last  3 hours trying to figure out where the 6 way conectors 6a and 6b mate from the iPod harness fit into. The instructions say mate to 6b on the vehicle interconnect harness and 6a on the vehicle audio harness. I cant find any connectors that will accept these. There are no other harnesses listed as needed for my model. My bike has the 35 pin connector and comes stock with xm,navigation and cb radio. Has anyone done this install on an ultra or cvo ultra. Called my dealer they no nothing as usual. Any help with instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2010, 07:03:57 AM »

I have a 2010 cvo ultra and just received the I pod interface. I spent the last  3 hours trying to figure out where the 6 way conectors 6a and 6b mate from the iPod harness fit into. The instructions say mate to 6b on the vehicle interconnect harness and 6a on the vehicle audio harness. I cant find any connectors that will accept these. There are no other harnesses listed as needed for my model. My bike has the 35 pin connector and comes stock with xm,navigation and cb radio. Has anyone done this install on an ultra or cvo ultra. Called my dealer they no nothing as usual. Any help with instructions or pictures would be greatly appreciated. 

It sounds like you already have the harness you are trying to connect on the bike. Looking at the back of the radio the harness you are tyring to connect is on the right side of the radio. If you have all those extras already then the harness is there. I don't know what the instructions say after the installation of the harness.

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

You are looking for an assembled connection that has the male and female connectors plugged together; you'll need to separate them to install the harness with the ipod module.

The connectors are six-wire connectors, black in color.  They probably have only four wires in them:  black/green; red/orange; blue/yellow; and, violet/gray colors.

The connectors will be close to the radio side or bottom, depending on how the larger harness was arranged.  What you are looking for is there.

Suggestion:  If you don't have one already, buy the HD Service Manual supplement for your bike; it has wiring diagrams identifying the multitude of electrical connections, wire colors, and locations.

Good luck with your search.

Carl

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »

Found the connector on my bike on the lft side of the radio ( as your sitting on the bike ) between the radio and the fairing bracket . kind of stuffed, pushed back , and hid in the dark. Finding the connector was the hardest part of the install .

CVOIRA

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »

Guys,

I really appreciate your responses. I am at work now so I won't be able to start my hunt for the harness again until late tonight. This has been driving me crazy since yesterday. Once I start something and have a problem I can't get it out of my head. I attached a picture of the inner fairing showing the ipod interface and the harness.

Ira

CVOIRA

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »

one other question

The instructions say

if a NIM (navigation interface Module) took me a while to figure what that stood for is also installed, they say follow the instructions for detail mounting and electrical connections. Well my bike already has navigation so that is already installed.

If a NIM is not installed, insert the cavity seal plugs into the loose six way housing from the kit.

Does this mean I have to find the navigation harness as well and attach it to the ipod interface with the six way housing connector that stands alone on the ipod harness as you see in the picture above??

I am going to take your sugestion and get the service manual for the bike.

Again, your help is much appreciated. Thanks Guys !!!!!! :)

Ira

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2010, 03:00:53 PM »

CVOIRA:
I believe the NIM is different from the nav system module in the HK radio.  The NIM replaces the nav system and allows other nav systems to integrate with the HK radio.  On my 09 with the HK nav system, I used the seal plugs to terminate the plug and left it hanging.  Everything works just fine.

Also, I initially installed my iPod interface module straddling the CB and XM radio modules just like you have in your picture.  However, the fairing cap would not fit back on easily because the back of the iPod interface module rubs on the inner fairing cap.  To remedy the problem I turned the iPod interface module sideways and laid it across the other two modules - pushed as far forward as I could get it - with the plugs coming out on the left side  (as you are facing the front of the motorcycle.)  That did the the trick.  
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 03:04:22 PM by fourstar »
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2010, 03:14:33 PM »

Thanks for the mounting and NIM tip. That will save me alot of time. Where did you find your harness on the radio to connect the I pod harness connectors?
I ordered the Saddlebag gromets to fill the hole in the saddlebags. Didn't even show you needed that part in the catalog.
Did you use Harley part number 76436-06 )Dual-Lock Mounts when mounting the i-pod sideways to the radio? If not what did you use? 

Thanks

Ira

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

The connector for mine was on the right side (when facing the front of the motorcycle) just next to and above the radio.  My plug is a little confusing because one side has wire colors that match the wires on the plugs on the iPod harness, but the other side of the plug has several white wires coming out of it.  

The dual lock connectors are 3M products.   I found them at Target, I think they were with the Velcro stuff.  I hear they also sell them at Radio Shack.  

Can you post a picture of the grommet so I can see what I need to look for?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 07:20:45 PM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2010, 06:13:51 PM »

Wish I could post a picture but they didn't come in yet. Backordered should have beginning of next week. I will post a picture as soon as I get it.   So it's basically velcro holding the module to the top of the radio. Amazing they couldn't include that in the kit. I might just run to target and pick up some velcro so I can finish instead of waiting for that part.
Are you using an I phone, I touch or I pod?  Hope this is all worth it. How do you like the operation so far. Thanks again for your help.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »

It's actually a little more sophisticated than velcro but yes, same concept.  I misspoke earlier, it is a 3M product.  If you Google images for "Dual Lock" you'll see what it looks like.

I like the interface.  I only use it with a Nano, but it works very well.  Much better than my previous set up.  It was worth the time and money to me. 
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2010, 11:32:09 PM »

Found the harness and mated the connectors. So far so good I tried the I phone quick and it seems to be working fine. Next running the extension cable to the right saddle bag. Can anyone give advise the best route to take and the procedure they used? Looks like under the fuel tank. Does it have to be removed or just lose to get the cable under it? Thanks   

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

I took the tank off and ran the cable inside the plastic cable channel over the backbone of the frame.  It isn't necessary to put it in the channel and it is kind of a tight fit, so running it alongside one of the other cables outside of the plastic channel will work too.  Removing the tank involves pulling the fuel pump fuse, starting the bike and letting it run until it dies, then remove the fuel line by sliding the chrome collar up and letting the valve release.  Take off the console and rest it on a towel on the rear fender.  Remove the two bolts at the front of the tank and the two bolts at the rear of the tank and lift the tank off.  You can probably unbolt the tank and tip it up but I wanted to be able to route the cable cleanly and secure it.
Make sure you leave enough slack on the fairing end of the cable to allow the forks to turn without pulling it.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:48:51 PM by fourstar »
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

CVOIRA

« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:25 AM »

Thanks again for the tip. Sounds like a weekend job that I will try and tackle this weekend. Once again things for writing back and all your help. I will let you know what happens.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »

Has anyone considered running the cable OVER the tank, under the console? Much easier, and provides heat resistance confidence as well.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 21 queries.