Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: ADDING TURN SIGNALS TO LED TOURPACK LIGHTS (parts list and instructions)  (Read 101542 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: ADDING TURN SIGNALS TO LED TOURPACK LIGHTS
« Reply #150 on: July 26, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »

Have you noticed if your rear turn signals ALTERNATE (between the TP and stock turns) when the brake is applied while using your Badlands module ? It seems that the rear turn signals on the tour-pack and stock bar don't flash together if using any kind of module that converts the stock turns into running, brake, and turn. They will flash together if the brake is not applied but when you apply the brake they start to alternate. That was driving me nuts so I took the turn signal conversion module off and left the tour-pack module hooked up.

Well you are correct. I just checked and if you hold the brakes on, the TP and lower rear turn signals will beginning alternating the flashing signal. As soon as you let go of the brake, they go back to flashing in synchrony. Hit the brake and they go back to alternating. I also tried connecting the TP Module AFTER the Badlands module but that is definitely NO GOOD. Connected this way, the TP and lower turn signals flash together until you hit the brakes. Then, strangely enough, the TP and lower turn signals alternate their flashing signals but on the OPPOSITE sides (if you started with a right signal, and then held the brake, the lower right turn signal would still flash but the TP would now flash on the left side.)

I went back to having the TP connected before the Badlands module and have just accepted that the TP and lower turn signals will alternate their flashing whenever the brake is applied. If you think about it, it's not really a bad outcome as it will definitely make your turn plus braking far more visible to those behind you when the flashing alternates. I would be interested to hear if anyone found a way to keep the TP turn signals in syncrony with the lower turn signals even when braking?

I would also be interested to hear if anyone just simply ran a direct connection from the Y-harness AFTER the Badlands Run/Turn/Stop module and just skipped the HD module in the TP. Wouldn't the Badlands module run the rear TP lights the same as the lower lights without the HD module? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:35:04 PM by Heatwave »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:28 AM »

Have you noticed if your rear turn signals ALTERNATE (between the TP and stock turns) when the brake is applied while using your Badlands module ? It seems that the rear turn signals on the tour-pack and stock bar don't flash together if using any kind of module that converts the stock turns into running, brake, and turn. They will flash together if the brake is not applied but when you apply the brake they start to alternate. That was driving me nuts so I took the turn signal conversion module off and left the tour-pack module hooked up.

I looked at JDO's video in post 133 and mine flash the same as his with a Kuryakyn run-brake controller.  Mine do not alternate with the brakes applied.     :nixweiss:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2011, 11:16:00 AM »

Forgot to add the current msrp prices. If you order from Chicago HD or Surdyke.com expect 10% -20% Savings. I paid roughly $70 plus shipping.  ALL PLUG - N - PLAY!

69911-11 module harness $64.95
70933-10 Y-harness $20.00
73106-96bk housing $1.75

All that is left is to follow the instructions for 67931-11 & 67932, Tour pak wrap around LED lights. See reply #23 of this thread to download the instructions.

hth

JDO was the first to figure this out on his own.  Appreciate his efforts and is a must upgrade for anyone who own a 2010 and up.  Just purchase from him and be done with it.  Thanks, JD for your efforts.

blkout50

« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »

Like JDO, I'm a DIYer. Searching for something else I stumbled onto this thread. I also did some research and discovered that Harley sells a Y-harness. I made my own Y-harness since I have crimpers, wire, and all of Harley's connectors and pins that I use on a daily basis.

Since there are others like myself, I freely passed on this learned information. Since not everyone has all the tools and equipment that I have, they can purchase the factory pieces to accomplish this task with minimal cost.

Sorry that it offends you that I am freely giving away my additional research.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:05:48 PM by blkout50 »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #154 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:05 PM »

The y harness was not sold seperately when this thread started so that is good to know.  JDO made them.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #155 on: July 27, 2011, 12:10:14 PM »

Well you are correct. I just checked and if you hold the brakes on, the TP and lower rear turn signals will beginning alternating the flashing signal. As soon as you let go of the brake, they go back to flashing in synchrony. Hit the brake and they go back to alternating. I also tried connecting the TP Module AFTER the Badlands module but that is definitely NO GOOD. Connected this way, the TP and lower turn signals flash together until you hit the brakes. Then, strangely enough, the TP and lower turn signals alternate their flashing signals but on the OPPOSITE sides (if you started with a right signal, and then held the brake, the lower right turn signal would still flash but the TP would now flash on the left side.)

I went back to having the TP connected before the Badlands module and have just accepted that the TP and lower turn signals will alternate their flashing whenever the brake is applied. If you think about it, it's not really a bad outcome as it will definitely make your turn plus braking far more visible to those behind you when the flashing alternates. I would be interested to hear if anyone found a way to keep the TP turn signals in syncrony with the lower turn signals even when braking?

I would also be interested to hear if anyone just simply ran a direct connection from the Y-harness AFTER the Badlands Run/Turn/Stop module and just skipped the HD module in the TP. Wouldn't the Badlands module run the rear TP lights the same as the lower lights without the HD module? Thoughts?

It has something to do with the turn brake controller when the brakes are applied. I also think it acts differently if you have LED bulbs rather than halogen installed for the rear turns. I removed my controller since the tour-pack is now working great and I never liked how bright the controller made the running lamps compared to the taillight and TP brightness.

I had previously tied the TP lamps into the run,brake, turn controller and didn't like the results on the TP due to  minimal light output and not being able to see the flashing during the day.

blkout50

« Reply #156 on: July 27, 2011, 12:33:32 PM »

The y harness was not sold seperately when this thread started so that is good to know.  JDO made them.

Actually it was.

Notice that the Y-Harness has 2010 part number. Also notice that the Module Harness has a 2011 part number.

In a nut shell, the Y-Harness was released before the Module Harness.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:24:41 PM by blkout50 »

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #157 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:41 PM »

It has something to do with the turn brake controller when the brakes are applied. I also think it acts differently if you have LED bulbs rather than halogen installed for the rear turns. I removed my controller since the tour-pack is now working great and I never liked how bright the controller made the running lamps compared to the taillight and TP brightness.

I had previously tied the TP lamps into the run,brake, turn controller and didn't like the results on the TP due to  minimal light output and not being able to see the flashing during the day.

I have Custom Dynamics LED front and rear turnsignals, Kuryakyn controller with 3 load equalizers and the upper and lowers flash together with the brakes applied.  With the 4 ways on, only the lowers flash.   FWIW

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #158 on: July 27, 2011, 12:42:57 PM »

Actually it was. Notice that it is a 2010 part number. I might be mistaken, but I think there are other places that I Harley uses a Y-Harness for lighting.

I was just going by the Harley instructions in posts 3 and 4 of this thread and "y harness" not sold seperately when you go to the parts break down.   Nice to know you found it available.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #159 on: July 27, 2011, 01:01:37 PM »

I would consider this approach except my TP is detachable. I wouldn't want to lose the RUN/TURN/STOP function on the turn signals when the TP is off the bike. By keeping the Badlands module as well as the HD TP Module, the bike has RUN/TURN/STOP LED Lighting whether the TP is on or off.

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »

I think I might order plug ends and try y link behind the badlands module and see if that would work like run,brake on tail lights ,if so that would fix 4 way problems. I will post out come.

hotroadking

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #161 on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »

Just finished the kit and it works great. The led plug on my 11 only required me to move two ground wires by flipping the turn led grounds

Tip before removing all the wires simply remove one pair of purple and black wires

Insert them into the open connector on the harness in the correct slots for them and turn on power to determine if you have the right or left led panel pair

There are three wire harness coming from led. Left center and right

The center is three wire and mine was already in the correct position so noting that it reduces removing all wires as instructed. No reason to take out and put right back

Once you know which pair is left and right you simply switch the wires. Basically you need the left ground under the right power (purple) and visa versa.

After that it's simple

Also. On the module the connections
Match up color coded except on the wires coming from the module there is no blue or white wire.

So the Yellow goes to blue on the y connector otherwise it's color matched  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Winston Churchill

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #162 on: July 28, 2011, 10:55:35 PM »

I think I might order plug ends and try y link behind the badlands module and see if that would work like run,brake on tail lights ,if so that would fix 4 way problems. I will post out come.

Please let us know how it turns out. This might be a very simple solution that gives the TP RUN/TURN/STOP capability plus functioning 4-way flashers on the TP. And it would eliminate the need for the HD TP Module for those bikes that are already using the Badlands Illuminator module for the lower turn signals.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2011, 04:18:56 AM »

I would consider this approach except my TP is detachable. I wouldn't want to lose the RUN/TURN/STOP function on the turn signals when the TP is off the bike. By keeping the Badlands module as well as the HD TP Module, the bike has RUN/TURN/STOP LED Lighting whether the TP is on or off.

That make sense. I would also want to retain the run/brake/turn functions if my TP was removable. I just don't care for the inconsistent operation for the turn signals as previously discussed. Oh well, maybe i'm just too picky !

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »

OK,I made a harness to try and use Badlands module to make run,brake and turn on tourpak and turns work just not very bright and brake not noticed any light brightness change so Harley kit is only one so far.   jdo
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Page created in 0.644 seconds with 22 queries.