Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Driver Backrest Bracket Install - SESG2  (Read 1356 times)

fastbikedroid

• Full CVO Member
Driver Backrest Bracket Install - SESG2
« on: August 27, 2010, 08:50:30 AM »

The good news is it really does install in just a few minutes .. Seems like the second to last hole lines up best with the stock seat to minimize the wrinkling of the leather.  If everything goes perfectly it's no more than 15-20 minutes to install the bracket.  I wish they'd painted it black, but you'll never see it with the seat on.

The bad news is Harley continues to employ great designers and (imho) challenged engineers. 
1. The kit requires you to lift the ECM tray and bolt the bracket using two holes.  Not a big deal, except it's not exactly easy to get a wrench under there, and if you happen to drop one of the bolts ... which I did ... it disappears into the deep dark recesses of the battery tray.  Now I know how to remove the battery :)
2. If you need to adjust the fore/aft position of the bracket you need to remove two already existing nuts (you reuse) on the seat studs, plus a bolt/nut on the support arm.  This is the other bolt that can fall if you're not careful. 
3. Like many parts, this one isn't exactly well deburred, and it's sitting right on the fender.  I used some electrical tape to try to provide some kind of scuffguard to protect the fender.
4. For some reason they black powdercoated some of the pieces, but left the bracket itself plain/zinc coated.  It's functional, but it's ugly.
5. the backrest that matches our seat does match really well.

Happy with the backrest, hate the bracket - but it's in!
-------------------
'10 BMW R1200Rt
'11 SESG / FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
Previously '10 FLSTSE

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.