Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: FXR3 Narrow rear pulley?  (Read 9358 times)

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
FXR3 Narrow rear pulley?
« on: August 28, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »

Time for a 10k and figure it's time for new rubber..  Does anyone know what the right part numbers are for the narrow thunderstar pulley for the 1 1/16" belt?  
There are several part numbers for the thunderstar ones and the dyna wide tire kits have different types of pulleys...
From what i can tell in my parts book the stocker is a 65 tooth with part number 40427-00..  
I've read the post about the 140 easy replacement, 150 needs a little work.. thanks!

Is this the correct one?
65 Tooth Fits: '97-'99 Softail models equipped with Wide Tire Kit P/N 43684-98B or 43684-99

Part #40336-99
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:03:59 PM by 63SSRagtop »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: FXR3 Narrow rear pulley?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 02:10:30 AM »

63ssragtop-

Yes you have the right part number.

You will need a new belt also and that part number is 40015-00.

Which is a 133 Tooth 1.125" belt.
This belt is currently being used on a 2006 Street Bob.

Regards,

Tim

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:06:20 AM »

You da man!  I was pretty sure that was the right animal, just wanted a second.. Thanks for the belt info as well.. going ahead with Venoms..

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

63ssragtop-

Your welcome......

So if you are going to be putting on the venums I would assume you are going to be putting on the following rear tire:

150 80 which is 157 mm wide sooooooo is this the actual  "venum" tire you are going with????

So let me/us know about your results............ ie: photos, any other part numbers needed to complete this project, riding impressionsi/handling, any other  "alterations" required to facilitate this modification. 

So when do you plan to finish the project??????????????

Thanks

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 12:03:13 AM »

Hello Everyone...........

CLICK HERE

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:07:14 AM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »

You da man!  I was pretty sure that was the right animal, just wanted a second.. Thanks for the belt info as well.. going ahead with Venoms..

Venoms   ...   I put that on the rear of my FXR4 before I headed out to Colorado this fall ..... just several weeks ago ..... in Aug.   I have about 7K miles on that tire .... still looks good, and handles really well dry or wet.

I'm now in need of a new front tire, and I"m gonna put a venom on there too.

I've been running metzlers for years, no problems and I really like the performace handling of them .... they are soft so the mileage isn't that good.   The venoms are a bit harder, are wearing better than the mets and handle every bit as good as the mets.

I called venonm and talked to someone in tech support to find out what pressure to run in it.  I explained my riding style and bike.   Single up all the time, touring mostly, 35--50 pounds of gear ..... he suggested that I run the rear (I don't have on on the front yet) at 44PSI  ........   I've heard 'stuff' from others that said they wore the tire out in a very short period of time.  They said they were running HD manual recommendation PSI, which is less than what Venom recommends........  I suggest that you might call them and ask ..... they know best   :-)

Good Luck with it !!!

Ride Safe .....
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:04:55 AM »

Just so ya know ..........

you can put a 140 on the bike with no mods required ..........  tight, but fits, and when done correctly there is no rubbing either, it's tight, but fits.......   I've been running 140's on the rear of my FXR4 for several years with no problem .....
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

takanohana

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 07:55:00 AM »

Venoms   ...   I put that on the rear of my FXR4 before I headed out to Colorado this fall ..... just several weeks ago ..... in Aug.   I have about 7K miles on that tire .... still looks good, and handles really well dry or wet.

I'm now in need of a new front tire, and I"m gonna put a venom on there too.

I've been running metzlers for years, no problems and I really like the performace handling of them .... they are soft so the mileage isn't that good.   The venoms are a bit harder, are wearing better than the mets and handle every bit as good as the mets.

I called venonm and talked to someone in tech support to find out what pressure to run in it.  I explained my riding style and bike.   Single up all the time, touring mostly, 35--50 pounds of gear ..... he suggested that I run the rear (I don't have on on the front yet) at 44PSI  ........   I've heard 'stuff' from others that said they wore the tire out in a very short period of time.  They said they were running HD manual recommendation PSI, which is less than what Venom recommends........  I suggest that you might call them and ask ..... they know best   :-)

Good Luck with it !!!

Ride Safe .....

Yea man; I ran my Metzs at 25 psi to South Carolina one year...Didn't work so well        :bigcry:               :ROFLOL:       That was many years ago  :2vrolijk_21:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »

Yea man; I ran my Metzs at 25 psi to South Carolina one year...Didn't work so well        :bigcry:               :ROFLOL:       That was many years ago  :2vrolijk_21:

serious ???

:D :D :D

I remember that ......   I thought it worked out alright ..... except for the big momma that tried to get you to take her for a ride   ............. 

:o
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

takanohana

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:24:49 PM »

serious ???

:D :D :D

I remember that ......   I thought it worked out alright ..... except for the big momma that tried to get you to take her for a ride   ............. 

Aunt Jemima could slurp down 50 gals of her syrup and not get as big as the lewinski was.... :zroflmao:

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »

:vrolijk27:
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 08:23:46 PM »

Hey fellas, long time since i been back, finally got off my butt and found a pulley.. I'm very purplexed though, i thought all of these thunderstar pulleys had a rough finsh on the spokes and not the shiny chrome.. did i luck out and get one that actually came with one of the wide tire kits or is it possilby just the wrong pulley??? thanks!

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

I've been running 150's on rear of my fxr3 ever since I bought it. Previous owner had changed out sprocket and belt, no rubbing, great handling too. I've had dunlops on her and good tire life. May do the same with my fxr2 when the time comes, nice to have more rubber on the road.

63SSRagtop

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »

Yeah i'm going on with venoms but this pulley has got me scratching my head.. i expected to see a pulley like the one pictured in this post about 150 tires... I either got really lucky (fancy smancy chrome one) or i got boned and it wont fit, lol~!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=26168.15

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 11:20:42 AM »

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but in this post or the corresponding post someone mentioned the "newer 3/4" pulley and belt".  Is it possible/feasible/relatively simple to fit the 3/4" pulley and belt on our FXR2's - 3's, and then go with yet a larger than 156mm rear tire?  I've been contemplating switching to a 70-tooth rear pulley to lower my gearing (raise it numerically from 2.93:1), so if there is a 3/4" 70-tooth rear sprocket and corresponding belt that fits the FXR3, then while I'm switching out the rear sprocket, I could kill two birds with one stone by also going with with a wider than 156 mm tire. Win Win......
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.