Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tachometer fogging  (Read 1624 times)

Bikerdude1018

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2010 FLSTSE2 CVO Softail Convertable-Sold
Tachometer fogging
« on: September 06, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »

I know this was brought up previously, but I still have the problem with no solution.  My tach seems to fog up at various times throughout my rides, on almost every ride.  Doesn't matter what the outside temp is, nor how much gas I have in the tank.  A few times, it has covered the speedometer, which isn't safe. 

When I approached the dealer, I was told that all tachs fog & HD doesn't cover under warranty.  Seems to me that this would fall under a safety issue & they should be required to determine the cause and cover the issue.

I was wondering, are there tsb's (technical service bulletins) like auto manufactures have?  Maybe, I can see what the factory is saying about the fogging.

Any direction to solve my problem would greatly be appreciated.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Tachometer fogging
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 08:52:30 AM »

I know this was brought up previously, but I still have the problem with no solution.  My tach seems to fog up at various times throughout my rides, on almost every ride.  Doesn't matter what the outside temp is, nor how much gas I have in the tank.  A few times, it has covered the speedometer, which isn't safe. 

When I approached the dealer, I was told that all tachs fog & HD doesn't cover under warranty.  Seems to me that this would fall under a safety issue & they should be required to determine the cause and cover the issue.

I was wondering, are there tsb's (technical service bulletins) like auto manufactures have?  Maybe, I can see what the factory is saying about the fogging.

Any direction to solve my problem would greatly be appreciated.

Rather than rely on the typical fast answer from a dealership, I think I'd take it up with the MoCo itself.  And you're right, it shouldn't be fogging up on a regular basis.  I can see it happening if you park it in a rain storm or right after you wash the bike (good idea to cover the gauges and clean them separately btw), but if this happens just riding down the road on a normal day then something doesn't sound right.   Call H-D.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 11:52:07 AM »

Your dealer is f.o.s. Mine has never fogged. Not even after a bath or rain. My fuel gage did fog but I replaced it with the flush mount so that problem is gone.

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »

I have the same issue with mine, depending on the temperature and humidity. It looks like a small amount of moisture was trapped in the case during manufacturing. I also asked my dealer, and when we went out to the lot, the gage was clear again.

I'm interested in the response from MoCo. Do they say....talk to the dealer?

I'll bring this up again when I stop by the dealer and have the situation present. Again, it does vary with temp. It does not appear that rain, washing, etc has any impact. To me it looks like trapped moisture trapped inside the case.

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »

Mine has fogged up many times.
Live To Win!

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 08:21:54 AM »

Mine is still doing it. And it's really starting to tick me off since it's only happening to a few of us.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 05:03:03 PM »

it happens to mine all the time. I am going to try and warranty replace it.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.