Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Help! Bike quit and wont start  (Read 19726 times)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 Screaming Eagle Deuce ! My Wife's !
Help! Bike quit and wont start
« on: September 06, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »

I changed the oil in my bike yesterday and while the oil was out of the engine I installed a oil temp guage harley #75265-04a and also a Ultra cool fan assisted oil cooler. After the install I put the oil back in the engine and cranked the bike up it ran for about 15 to 20 minutes I was setting beside the bike where I could see the temp guage it was around 125-130 degrees and the bike just quit not a noise or a sputter it just died like the switch was turned off. I did not think much about so I turned the switch off and went and took a leak I walked back to the bike and turned the switch back on and hit the start button and the bike just turns over and over but will not start. Now my mind starts turning trying to think what may be wrong so I start checking, the fuses are ok checked with test light, double checked the wiring I did for the guage and the cooling fan on the cooler, pulled the spark plugs grounded them and spun the engine over spark is ok, checked fuel pump it's cycleing on and off like it should, so I start thinking fuel, I removed the fuel line from the top of the intake where it feeds the injectors and the fuel flows free to this point. I was thinking ok fuel ! I have cranked my off road cab trucks and jeeps with fuel injected engines after a roll over or getting water in the intake with carb cleaner so I turned the switch on cracked the throttle a little hit the start switch and give it a shot and it fired right up and ran for a second. The question is what have I missed ? what would cause it to just die all of a sudden and not start back up ? What is keeping the injectors from letting the fuel pass thru them ? just so you know I am running a T Max with Autotune and engine mods that I have put about 8 thousand miles on with out a problem if anyone knows what may be my problem please respond to this post it's looking like I may end up at the dealer if no one knows what it may be I've done everything I can think of

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Help! Bike quit and wont start
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 05:25:52 PM »

When you hook up your tmax do you show any codes?

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 05:52:17 PM »

When you hook up your tmax do you show any codes?

No codes at all 

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 10:18:58 PM »

Check your main breaker  Just an idea
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

grahn1967

• FL

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 10:24:47 PM »

Anytime power is disconnected,the E.F.I. module must be re-calibrated to engine sensors.
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »

Anytime power is disconnected,the E.F.I. module must be re-calibrated to engine sensors.

Not doing that repetitive on-off on-off on-off cycle wouldn't keep the bike from starting though.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:47:57 PM »

Electric or Fuel can be the only issues.....

Electric OK then it must be fuel

spray fuel in throttle body?

if it runs then it has to be something with injecters.

what is the fuel pressure? 50 - 60 PSI?

This is the sequence I would try............
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grahn1967

• FL

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »

Diagnostics and Troubleshooting____________________________Always pull the ECM fuse before disconnecting or reconnecting the
battery! At any point if the ECM Fuse has been pulled, including battery
replacement, the ThunderMax ECM must be re-initialized. Failure to do
so may require linking to the module to fix the IAC Stops location
IAC Plunger Check
Entering from the throat of the throttle body, probe with a soft tool
like a spray tube from an aerosol can into the IAC port until you
reach the face of the IAC plunger. Make certain the handlebar switch
is in Run, turn the ignition switch on and then “off.” The IAC
plunger should extend out (closing the port) and then retract (opening
the port) to a home position every time the switch is turned off.
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.

grahn1967

• FL

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »

Go to page 151 of the smartlink tuning manual,that's a good place to start.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 08:27:50 AM »

The circuit breaker is ok checked all of the fuses and relays first. Power to the ecm was not lost during the install of the guage but I did the switch on switch off three times just to be sure. It is getting fuel to the point of the injectors and the pump seems to be working ok. The bike will start right up when it's sprayed with start fluid. What is puzzeling me is that the bike cranked up and run at idle for 15 to 20 minutes setting in the garage

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »

FUEL  IN TANK????

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »

FUEL  IN TANK????
Yes 3 fresh gallons very first thing I did

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »

I had one guy tell me it may be the crank position sensor what do you all think ? he may be right but the bike was setting in my garage and had been running for a good 15-20 minutes when it died and has not hit a lick since except when I sprayed it with carb cleaner 

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 11:19:42 AM »

Check the fuel line connector for 'trash'/obstruction......it's been known to cause your exact scenario.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »

I have already taken the fuel line loose where it connects to the top of the intake just before the injectors fuel flows free to that point I think I'm right in thinking that the injectors are not pulsing or spraying fuel since I can crank it with starting fluid. The guy that told me about the crank position sensor said in short that it can all of a sudden go out and cause the ecm to not get a signal to fire them he may be right

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:13:05 PM »

I have another question for you guys if the crank position sensor is bad would it not kill the spark to the spark plugs. I assume that the sensor tells the ecm when to fire the plugs and also tells the injectors when to spray fuel am I correct in this assumption ? I don't want to buy a $54.00 sensor until I am sure that it is whats causing my problem in other words I dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »

A faulty CPS will throw a code. My wife's 04 still ran (poorly) when the CPS went on it.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 03:52:04 PM »

Been on the phone this evening with Zippers (Randy real nice guy) he suggested I pull the ecm from the bike and send it to them and let them check it and my dyno guy suggested the same it has got them both scratching their heads after they asked me all of the standard questions related to the bike not wanting to start. They both told me that from what I said that I have already checked something is killing the signal to the injectors. 

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 05:40:04 PM »

Does your bike have a TSM or a TSSM? A faulty or water impregnated TSSM can cause your symptoms. (Don't ask how I know this  :'( )

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

(Turn signal security module) yes it does do you know if they are known to go out all of a sudden ? the bike was sitting in the garage running at idle and had been for 15-20 minutes when it quit

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »

Does your bike have a TSM or a TSSM? A faulty or water impregnated TSSM can cause your symptoms. (Don't ask how I know this  :'( )

Wouldn't it throw a code?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 09:47:28 AM »

I have another question for you guys if the crank position sensor is bad would it not kill the spark to the spark plugs. I assume that the sensor tells the ecm when to fire the plugs and also tells the injectors when to spray fuel am I correct in this assumption ? I don't want to buy a $54.00 sensor until I am sure that it is whats causing my problem in other words I dont want to start throwing parts at it.

Correct if the CPS isn't working you shouldn't get gas or spark. The CPS doesn't usually throw a code, if not working the ECM just thinks the motor isn't turning over, so no gas or soark.

Craig
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:49:55 AM by Talon »

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 10:13:50 AM »

Correct if the CPS isn't working you shouldn't get gas or spark. The CPS doesn't usually throw a code, if not working the ECM just thinks the motor isn't turning over, so no gas or soark.

Craig
I hate it when I get no soark  ;D  :D I think he said that he was getting soark but no gas. Does a non functional cps always cut gas and spark?
The TSSM Problem I was refering to just happened last Thurs. in Yellowstone and didn't throw any codes untill we screwed with it for a few hours. Turns out it was water logged from riding in the rain two days prior.(nice seal job HD). Most likely not Silver's problem, just thought I'd throw out another possibility.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:03 AM »

I just plugged a buddys stock 05 EG ecm up on my bike just to see if by chance it would crank the bike (NO) it didn't doe's the same thing the T Max doe's would my TSSM keep his ecm from working on my bike ? do you guys think I should change the CPS just to see if by chance that is the problem. if the CPS is bad does it always kill the spark or not ?   

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »

I just plugged a buddys stock 05 EG ecm up on my bike just to see if by chance it would crank the bike (NO) it didn't doe's the same thing the T Max doe's would my TSSM keep his ecm from working on my bike ? do you guys think I should change the CPS just to see if by chance that is the problem. if the CPS is bad does it always kill the spark or not ?   
THe ECM and the TSSM have to be married together via a complicated process or using a program only available at your dealer. You can not just replace one or the other without doing this (as you have found out)

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »

Let me ask you guys another question if my buddys ecm should crank the bike but don't what would cause both of the ecm's not to crank the bike ? the CPS ? maybe the TSSM ? what do you think I'm open for suggestions

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 11:11:58 AM »

Trapperdog you are correct in what you are saying and I did know this but I have and did use another buddys stock ecm off of a 03 SERK to cycle the fuel pump and check the elec system on my bike when I converted it over to EFI from carb once the injectors get primed and the ecm pulses them to open the engine will run until that small amount of fuel is burned 2 to 3 seconds that is why I tried the ecm from the 05 it did the same thing with the fuel pump but something somewhere is not letting the injectors pulse or open to shoot that first fuel into the intake. In my earlier post I said I can crank it with carb cleaner and it will run for that 2 to 3 seconds with it also. I know I have fuel to the injectors and I can make it run with the carb cleaner I have to figure out what has killed the injectors.   

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »

Let me ask another question. this problem started after I installed a oil cooler on my bike is there anything else other than the CPS in the area of the voltage regulator that may cause the problem i'm having I had to remove the regulator for the install. keep in mind the bike ran for 15 to 20 minutes before it died.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 01:36:44 PM »

I hate it when I get no soark  ;D  :D I think he said that he was getting soark but no gas. Does a non functional cps always cut gas and spark?
The TSSM Problem I was refering to just happened last Thurs. in Yellowstone and didn't throw any codes untill we screwed with it for a few hours. Turns out it was water logged from riding in the rain two days prior.(nice seal job HD). Most likely not Silver's problem, just thought I'd throw out another possibility.

In my experience with cars, trucks this has been the case, never had a bad one on the bikes. When the CPS isn't working the ECU doesn't know the motor is spinning over, so it doesn't provide spark or gas.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »

I have spark ! one of the first things I checked it will run with a shot of carb cleaner I went and picked up a new CPS to try I figured for $59.00 it is worth a shot and that will at least eliminate that part of the puzzle

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »

For you guys that have responded to this post the CPS (crank position sensor) is not the problem it still won't run I pulled the T Max off and I'm going to send it to them tomorrow and let them see if there is a internal problem I'll post what they tell me when I hear from them Thanks !   

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »

For you guys that have responded to this post the CPS (crank position sensor) is not the problem it still won't run I pulled the T Max off and I'm going to send it to them tomorrow and let them see if there is a internal problem I'll post what they tell me when I hear from them Thanks !   

Got another bike handy you can quickly hang the T-Max on?  You'd at least know if started and ran.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

Got another bike handy you can quickly hang the T-Max on?  You'd at least know if started and ran.
:2vrolijk_21:

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

Just wondering if there is an oil pressure shut-off of any kind on your HD. 

I know this is grasping at straws but in reality it worked before and other than a routine oil change the only other changes were related to oil.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 08:22:15 AM »

Yes I have several friends with bikes I may do that before I box it up and send it to Zippers. My bike is an 04 and i'm not sure if they have any kind of oil shut off I have never heard of or seen in my shop manual saying anything about these bike having a oil pressure shut off maybe some of these real good engine guys will see this and respond and let us know 

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 08:38:07 AM »

Yes I have several friends with bikes I may do that before I box it up and send it to Zippers. My bike is an 04 and i'm not sure if they have any kind of oil shut off I have never heard of or seen in my shop manual saying anything about these bike having a oil pressure shut off maybe some of these real good engine guys will see this and respond and let us know 

Just saying everything is good and then you make a few changes to the bike and now a problem...
I think the first place to look is at the most recent changes.  If the bike ran good before and for 15-20 minutes after and then all hell breaks loose...it's most likely to be related to something you just changed or did. 
These bikes are very electrically sensitive, did you pull the main fuse before doing your work?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »

No oil pressure monitoring shut off switch.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »

No I did not pull the main fuse and yes I did install a Harley oil temp guage in the fairing and install a oil cooler during the process and I went back and unplugged the guage sensor in the pan and the guage in the fairing (undoing what I had done) I guess you would say I am almost 99.9% sure it is an electrical problem My buddy is running the same T Max on his bike he is going to hook my T Max up tonight on his bike and see what happens the way I see it i've not got anything to loose!

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »

can you reinstall the stock ecm just to see if it would at least start!!!  only take a few min

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 09:57:26 AM »

I do not have a stock ecm for my bike I converted it to EFI from carb using all new harley parts except for the T Max I borrowed a buddy's stock ecm and tried it it does the same thing. I know what you are thinking that his ecm wont crank it because of the difference of the TSSM but I used a stock ecm from a 03 SERK when I was doing the swap and they will activate the guages and cycle the fuel pump and even crank the bike for  2 to 3 seconds until the ecm finds out its not programmed to this TSSM I am going to plug my T Max up on my buddys bike and see if it will run his bike maybe this will eliminate a problem with my T Max

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »

I do not have a stock ecm for my bike I converted it to EFI from carb using all new harley parts except for the T Max I borrowed a buddy's stock ecm and tried it it does the same thing. I know what you are thinking that his ecm wont crank it because of the difference of the TSSM but I used a stock ecm from a 03 SERK when I was doing the swap and they will activate the guages and cycle the fuel pump and even crank the bike for  2 to 3 seconds until the ecm finds out its not programmed to this TSSM I am going to plug my T Max up on my buddys bike and see if it will run his bike maybe this will eliminate a problem with my T Max

I'm probably way off here as this comes from a single bike and incident several years ago.  But I thought I remembered the following from a bike with an ECM and TSSM that weren't mated (though there's not a specific mating on the Marelli bikes, just the Delphi bikes).

Guy I knew had a Road King whose TSSM took a dump.  He got a used TSSM.  Pretty sure I remember the bike still starting and the signals and other lights still working.  Just no alarm function nor ability to programs fobs to the alarm.

Don't take this as gospel.  Was a long time ago and only one weekend afternoon he was telling me about it.  But that's the recollection.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »

I'm probably way off here as this comes from a single bike and incident several years ago.  But I thought I remembered the following from a bike with an ECM and TSSM that weren't mated (though there's not a specific mating on the Marelli bikes, just the Delphi bikes).

Guy I knew had a Road King whose TSSM took a dump.  He got a used TSSM.  Pretty sure I remember the bike still starting and the signals and other lights still working.  Just no alarm function nor ability to programs fobs to the alarm.

Don't take this as gospel.  Was a long time ago and only one weekend afternoon he was telling me about it.  But that's the recollection.

Ok, thought about this more.  More I remember the bike didn't have alarm.  So it was a TSM and not a TSSM.  That'd likely make more sense too as I don't think there's password sharing between ECM and TSM when one TSM replaces another.

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 02:43:28 PM »

Ok guys just checked my T Max on my buddys bike it cranked right up so the problem is not with the ecm it has got to be fuel (right!) if I'm thinking correct my fuel pump is running but may have lost pressure enough to pass thru the injectors. what causes the loss of pressure and not flow ? does this make sense if not let me know what you think. I borrowed a set of noid lights that are used to check the injectors for pulse and I am going to double check them before I pull the pump fron the tank. remember I can start my bike with carb cleaner ! and when it died it had been running for 15-20 minutes at idle. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »

If the lines inside the tank aren't perforated there is also a pressure regulator.  Have also seen the line from the tank to the intake collapse internally. 

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

fuel line from the bottom of the tank to the injector block seems ok fuel flows free thru it one of the first things I checked. I'm leaning more to some problem inside the tank with something the pump does run but i'm unsure if I only have flow but no pressure doe's that make sense ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2010, 05:22:16 PM »

fuel line from the bottom of the tank to the injector block seems ok fuel flows free thru it one of the first things I checked. I'm leaning more to some problem inside the tank with something the pump does run but i'm unsure if I only have flow but no pressure doe's that make sense ?

Check fuel pressure like this....
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

Check fuel pressure like this....

A sacrificial fuel line and trip to the hardware store.  I believe 58 lbs. +/- a couple is the desired fuel pressure.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2010, 05:29:15 PM »

I may end up having to do that I was wondering if anyone made some type of guage to check it I'm with you make your own !

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »

Ditto

check fuel pressure............

if it runs then it has to be something with injectors.

what is the fuel pressure? 55 - 62 PSI?

the bike will not start with 35 - 40 PSI,  This recently happened on a friends bike.

PS. careful taking out fuel pump with line routing and the torquing of screws (console)

use new screws and follow torque pattern. or may have a lap full of gas like my buddy.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 08:05:38 AM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:31 PM »

I may end up having to do that I was wondering if anyone made some type of guage to check it I'm with you make your own !

For about $450.00, Jims will sell you a kit.  Or for about $30.00 you can make your own (or less depending on your shop stash).
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2010, 06:08:20 PM »

Since this is a carb conversion, is the fuel pump new from HD? Could it have failed?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2010, 09:39:37 PM »

Yes the pump is new along with all of the other parts installed around febuary of this year new wiring, new T Max, new HPI throttle body, injectors, ect,ect done a total conversion from a Road King to a FLHT with all new Harley parts except what I mentioned

I have another question for you guys. tonight I pulled the fuel line off of the injector mount block on top of the intake with a cup in hand ready to catch what gas I thought would be in the line from the pump to the point where I unplugged it I soon found out that a cup was not going to hold it it never quit running is this normal ? and another thing while I was sitting there letting it run in a gas can I had a thought ! lets see if the pump would really made the gas squirt if I turned the switch on. NOPE just trickle no different than the line just being unplugged.

The problem is with the pump but it is running there has to be a line that has come off or something has went bad with the pump I'm going to pump the gas out of the tank tomorrow night after work and pull the pump and maybe I will find the problem everyone has been very helpful with your suggestions and ideas Thanks   

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »

Yes the pump is new along with all of the other parts installed around febuary of this year new wiring, new T Max, new HPI throttle body, injectors, ect,ect done a total conversion from a Road King to a FLHT with all new Harley parts except what I mentioned

I have another question for you guys. tonight I pulled the fuel line off of the injector mount block on top of the intake with a cup in hand ready to catch what gas I thought would be in the line from the pump to the point where I unplugged it I soon found out that a cup was not going to hold it it never quit running is this normal ? and another thing while I was sitting there letting it run in a gas can I had a thought ! lets see if the pump would really made the gas squirt if I turned the switch on. NOPE just trickle no different than the line just being unplugged.

The problem is with the pump but it is running there has to be a line that has come off or something has went bad with the pump I'm going to pump the gas out of the tank tomorrow night after work and pull the pump and maybe I will find the problem everyone has been very helpful with your suggestions and ideas Thanks    

This is the inside of an Electra Glide tank...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:52:07 PM by sadunbar »
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2010, 09:56:44 PM »

A sacrificial fuel line and trip to the hardware store.  I believe 58 lbs. +/- a couple is the desired fuel pressure.

Target range is 55-62 psi.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2010, 10:12:09 PM »

Target range is 55-62 psi.

Otherwise known as 58 psi +/- a couple few....more or less   :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

(of course, only after you pull the swing arm...)
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2010, 10:14:42 PM »

it is proobly the oil presure sender only thing that cuts fuel off to injecters  un plug and try

I got this message in a pm from scooter6262.  Makes sense so I thought I would pass along.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

it is proobly the oil presure sender only thing that cuts fuel off to injecters  un plug and try

I got this message in a pm from scooter6262.  Makes sense so I thought I would pass along.

When did a low oil pressured signal for a fuel cut off begin?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »

When did a low oil pressured signal for a fuel cut off begin?

Curious about that myself....  Can more details be shared?
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2010, 10:39:06 PM »

Curious about that myself....  Can more details be shared?

Just checked the 2009, 2010 and 2011 model year tech bulletins and found no mention.  So if it was incorporated was 06, 07 or 08.  But I've never heard of oil pressure triggered fuel cut off being added.  As low as TC oil pressure used to be at idle it would have shut off a lot of bikes over the years :huepfenlol2: .

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2010, 11:12:02 PM »

This cannot be right.........

low oil levels with idle would have caused shut down on many bikes......

going to the garage and drain the oil out of the bike and see if it starts...........
Formally FLHTCUSE3

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »

Don't have the answers just passing along what was sent to me.

Have no idea if it is correct. 

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2010, 08:14:41 AM »

going to the garage and drain the oil out of the bike and see if it starts...........

Keats

Make sure you only see if it starts, not how long it runs.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2010, 10:17:12 AM »

Keats

;)

SBB

X2  I was thinking...I won't be doing that!  Considering the fact his bike started and ran 15-20 minutes after oil change and mods...

If something unrelated to the mods of the oil system are NOT the problem, it sure is one heck of a coincidence that it ran fine before.  
Try pulling the main fuse let it set for a couple minutes, then after you put the main fuse in, pull the ECM fuse for a couple minutes and then reinitialize your tmax.  Then give it a try.
Simple enough to just try an electrical reset.  Certainly can't hurt.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »

Keats

;)

SBB
That's really what we wanted to know  :) You just ruined another perfectly good test  :P
In most  engines, the oil pressure/level cutoff switch cuts off the spark. Interesting if HD would choose to cut off the fuel.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2010, 10:27:37 AM »

Keats

;)

SBB

LOL...... I like you guys, but not that much...... :2vrolijk_21:

if I really wanted to find out the result, all I would due is pull the wire off oil sender unit. (easy to get to on right side up front)

figuring no signal would equate to no oil pressure.....
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »

Looking at the manual on the 2008, I can find no link to a fuel cutout and low oil pressure.

looks like back in the days of 1974 - 1980 they might have had 1 model where that link existed.
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2010, 10:40:32 AM »

This is the inside of an Electra Glide tank...
I had one act up on another bike (goldwing) and it turned out to be the rubber diaphram in the pump turned to liquid rubber due to a buddy of mine dumping Sea Foam in it to try and clean the carbs.  The carb cleaner wiped the pump out and I had to get him a new pump and the bike fired right up.  With the bad pump the only way I could get the bike to run was by pouring gas in the cabs, soon as it ran out it died.  Don't know if the problem is the same but it sounds like it to me.  Keep us posted
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2010, 01:07:26 PM »

I had one act up on another bike (goldwing) and it turned out to be the rubber diaphragm in the pump turned to liquid rubber due to a buddy of mine dumping Sea Foam in it to try and clean the carbs.  The carb cleaner wiped the pump out and I had to get him a new pump and the bike fired right up.  With the bad pump the only way I could get the bike to run was by pouring gas in the cabs, soon as it ran out it died.  Don't know if the problem is the same but it sounds like it to me.  Keep us posted

I'm not sure a post about rubbers, diaphragms, foam, and pumping really belongs in this thread!  :coolblue:

SILVER ROAD KING

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2010, 09:52:19 PM »

OK guys for those of you that have been reading this post and responding with suggestions of what might cause this problem I can awnser that with one word ME :( The cause was a blown off fuel supply line on the fuel pump as my luck goes when I did the conversion to EFI when I installed the pump assembly in the tank I failed to tighten the hose clamp enough thats why the pump was running but I had no pressure at injectors it was just circulating gas in the tank after it came off. I,m damn lucky it came off setting in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere. I have ridden this thing probally about 5 to 6 thousand miles like it was like I said damn lucky ! I sent my buddy a text tonight and told him after everything I have checked on this thing I should have a PHD in trouble shooting ;D I want to thank all of you for you help and suggestions maybe if someone else has a similar problem this thread may help there's a lot of knowledge on this forum and it pays to listen     

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »

OK guys for those of you that have been reading this post and responding with suggestions of what might cause this problem I can awnser that with one word ME :( The cause was a blown off fuel supply line on the fuel pump as my luck goes when I did the conversion to EFI when I installed the pump assembly in the tank I failed to tighten the hose clamp enough thats why the pump was running but I had no pressure at injectors it was just circulating gas in the tank after it came off. I,m damn lucky it came off setting in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere. I have ridden this thing probally about 5 to 6 thousand miles like it was like I said damn lucky ! I sent my buddy a text tonight and told him after everything I have checked on this thing I should have a PHD in trouble shooting ;D I want to thank all of you for you help and suggestions maybe if someone else has a similar problem this thread may help there's a lot of knowledge on this forum and it pays to listen     

Good news you found it.  That's the most important part.  Surprised you didn't hear the fuel running.  Not all repairs are as cheap as a hose clamp and a set of screws either.  Glad you got her done :2vrolijk_21: .

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

Glad you found it and it was something so simple to fix.  It those damn little things that can drive you crazy, ride safe.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:37 PM »

Hopefully you are using a hose clamp intended for fuel injection.  There is a difference between an standard hose clamp and a fuel injection hose clamp.  They are required due to the high pressure. 
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »

Outstanding!  Glad you figured it out. 

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:41 PM »

I Just saw this and am glad that you found the problem and it is a simple fix. The whole trouble shooting process and posts have taught me a few things though!
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 21 queries.