Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 4884 times)

tmb916

What would you do?
« on: September 07, 2010, 01:36:30 PM »

I was at the end of a 7 hour ride on my 2008 electra glide classic. Due to previous circumstances my back was aching.  I was rushing to get home and was 400 yards from my garage.  I was coming down a very busy two lane road with another lane for the parked cars. It was a busy Sunday on Labor Day week-end of the beach town of Hermosa Beach.  Cars were backed up from red light to red light. I decided to come down the lane closes to the side walk and going 5 miles an hour.  I did not know that the pick-up truck was stopped in the number # 2 lane to:
a)   Keep the area that clear that said “keep clear” in front of McDonald’s driveway on my right
b)   Let a SUV cross in front of the pick-up to drive into McDonald’s
I put on the brakes slid to a stop and the bike fell over. The woman in the passenger seat of the SUV was horrified and the driver proceeded to the McDonald’s drive through without stopping.  I picked up my bike and there was very minimal damage and kept riding.
How would you have handled the situation differently and how would you have handled the SUV?
This is not meant to sandbag any one and I am hoping this doesn’t turn into a thread I read (http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/transformers-3-movie-extra-seriously-hurt-during-indiana-stunt-gone-wrong-in-her-own-car) that was as tragic as the accident it was talking about.

Glad I am a new member

04se103

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:44:29 PM »

tmb916 Welcome to the site glad you have joined us when you can go by New Member Introduction and start a thread over there and Introduce yourself over there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:56:00 PM »

Not certain reading your incident report correctly.  Is it that you thought it ok to carefully ride a lane not normally used for traffic since you were so close to home?

If so it's a typical case of landing fixation.  If it wasn't a good driving lane it wasn't a good driving lane.  Beginning of day, end of day, sore back or not makes no difference.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »

I was at the end of a 7 hour ride on my 2008 electra glide classic. Due to previous circumstances my back was aching.  I was rushing to get home and was 400 yards from my garage.  I was coming down a very busy two lane road with another lane for the parked cars. It was a busy Sunday on Labor Day week-end of the beach town of Hermosa Beach.  Cars were backed up from red light to red light. I decided to come down the lane closes to the side walk and going 5 miles an hour.  I did not know that the pick-up truck was stopped in the number # 2 lane to:
a)   Keep the area that clear that said “keep clear” in front of McDonald’s driveway on my right
b)   Let a SUV cross in front of the pick-up to drive into McDonald’s
I put on the brakes slid to a stop and the bike fell over. The woman in the passenger seat of the SUV was horrified and the driver proceeded to the McDonald’s drive through without stopping.  I picked up my bike and there was very minimal damage and kept riding.
How would you have handled the situation differently and how would you have handled the SUV?
This is not meant to sandbag any one and I am hoping this doesn’t turn into a thread I read (http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/transformers-3-movie-extra-seriously-hurt-during-indiana-stunt-gone-wrong-in-her-own-car) that was as tragic as the accident it was talking about.

Glad I am a new member

Glad to hear you weren't injured. I agree with all of twolanerider's reply and then some.

Most importantly, what did you learn from this episode?

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 09:29:42 AM »

TMB916,

Sounds like you were using something similar to a breakdown lane or shoulder.  I use these in traffic jams on the highway since our bikes are air-cooled.

If you use these type lanes...YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN PERRIL.  I know this and am extra cautious for the "one" person who just can't stand me going ahead in the given situation and cutting me off...or in your case, one person letting someone pass through the line.

That being said...the moral thing for the guy in the SUV to do was to get out and see if you were okay and maybe help you right your bike.  However, he seemed to exercise his right to call you a dumba$$ and go his merry way.  If it's any consolation, I'm sure he paid dearly for his choice by enduring extended counselling from his upset passenger :coolblue:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:39:07 PM »

TMB916,

Sounds like you were using something similar to a breakdown lane or shoulder.  I use these in traffic jams on the highway since our bikes are air-cooled.

If you use these type lanes...YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN PERRIL.  I know this and am extra cautious for the "one" person who just can't stand me going ahead in the given situation and cutting me off...or in your case, one person letting someone pass through the line.

That being said...the moral thing for the guy in the SUV to do was to get out and see if you were okay and maybe help you right your bike.  However, he seemed to exercise his right to call you a dumba$$ and go his merry way.  If it's any consolation, I'm sure he paid dearly for his choice by enduring extended counselling from his upset passenger :coolblue:
No offence to 18 wheeler drivers because 99% of them are great but that 1% azzhole really gave me grief several years ago when I had to take to the shoulder on I-40 due to unbelievable backup due to a crash.  My bsr was scared chitless by his insane response to my riding the shoulder at 2-3 mph.  Unfortunately some folks (most LEOs especially) do not appreciate that we are sitting atop a miniature furnace and on a hot day it feels like a nuclear reactor under out butts.  Sitting in traffic just does not cut it and I've had to take my chances several times - unfortunately lost a couple of innings to LEOs who were not sympathetic at all.  Oh well, that's the price we pay.  Stay vigilant.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:49:26 PM »

Amen brother!  I have a distinct advantage in these situations though...my BSR whines & moans so loud it sounds like a police siren and BEHOLD, the sea of vehicles parts in front of me :orange:

Ed45

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »

I interpreted your scenerio as a pick-up allowing the SUV to make a left into McD's in front of you. Wherever you were, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, WHENEVER I see a  break, I assume some dude is going to be coming through to complete a turn. Depending on the type vehiicle holding the gap open, it can bbe impossible to see the turner until it is too late. I approach every gap in heavy traffic as a potential tragedy and if I can't SEE CLEARLY, I stop. Welcome aboard a great forum.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »

1. Welcome to the site....

2. Glad you were not seriously hurt......

3. traveling down the right side of any stopped traffic will get you into trouble when there is a space between vehicles.
   the only difference between going down a Lane (roadway) or open parking places is who is to blame.
   The result may be the same....
    going down the lane, they are to blame and going down Non lane, you are to blame...

4. Rude cagers are not something new though.....

5. Handled the SUV? I would not have done a thing, I do not want to get shot before trying to pick up my bike.

6, Do something different? I would not ride down right side of traffic without that expected result, Legal or illegal.
    (even if you were traveling in a designated lane and legal the result would be the same)

7. "Lets be careful out there"  an old NYPD saying
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:53:36 PM »

Welcome to the site. We have all done things on a bike that were not quite right or legal. Glad you not hurt and that the  bike suffered minimmmmmal damages if any. The SUV driver did nothing illegal as far as I can see from the post. Would it have been the right thing to do if they got out and to help you with your bike while stopped in the street creates additional risk for all if they pull into the ^&&^%$##@$% lot and come back to help in all reality you would have already had the bike back up on its wheels or  maybe just maybe the passenger was telling the  driver better not stop that crazy biker will be very angry and will  rape and or pillage us ...................................... Ride Safe/Ride Hard/Have Fun.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »

Welcome to the site. We have all done things on a bike that were not quite right or legal.

Not me.

Dammit.

fresh oil and pipes

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:29 PM »

Not me.

Dammit.

I would have to call bullchit on that one Mr. Twolane I have seen you ride.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 08:54:40 PM »

BUSTED!

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »

BUSTED!

SBB

Ummmm......... I meant just today :angel: .

fresh oil and pipes

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »

Ummmm......... I meant just today :angel: .

But I will ride with you anytime old boy.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.