Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Check your headlight adjusting screws...  (Read 1690 times)

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
Check your headlight adjusting screws...
« on: September 11, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »

In my quest for better lights... I had initially adjusted the headlight up as far as I thought it would go.

Changed to HID lights.  I took the trim ring off to view the adjusting screws and found the two mounting screws on the left and right (the ones with springs) were mashed tight so there was limited vertical adjustment.  I backed off the left and right allen head screws and gained the vertical adjustment needed to bring the light up enough.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Check your headlight adjusting screws...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 01:41:59 PM »

In my quest for better lights... I had initially adjusted the headlight up as far as I thought it would go.

Changed to HID lights.  I took the trim ring off to view the adjusting screws and found the two mounting screws on the left and right (the ones with springs) were mashed tight so there was limited vertical adjustment.  I backed off the left and right allen head screws and gained the vertical adjustment needed to bring the light up enough.

Mal

Mal, it's also not uncommon with those that no matter where the side adjuster screw is there's not enough vertical adjustment.  Perhaps a later revision of the part has corrected this but on bikes as late 08 I've had to shorten the spring on the top screw to gain more elevation.  On my own 05 had to lose nearly half the spring to get a proper height.

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
Re: Check your headlight adjusting screws...
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

Last night after I got the HIDs installed... I was still not happy with the beam height... I initially thought... "well, that's as far as it will adjust up"... so I put a little pressure on it and jammed a piece of plastic in at the bottom. That gave me the elevation.

Then I woke up last night with an AH HA!! moment... loosen those two horizontal screws to allow further movement on that axis. Sure enough, I now have enough adjustment that I can go too high.

Anyway Twolane... you are going to LOVE the HIDs.  I am not sure if the High Beam was necessary... I'll be interested in your take.

I added the passing lamps, so I had to order some white lights to, hopefully, match the HIDs.

Mal
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

Page created in 0.41 seconds with 22 queries.