Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dual Antennas on the RGU  (Read 3887 times)

RGU

Dual Antennas on the RGU
« on: September 18, 2010, 01:27:34 PM »

There are two Antennas on the tour pack on the RGU. One is CB and other is AM/FM. The both Antennas look the same except there are labels on each if you look real close. My question is: "Which male connector on the tour pack is CB? I swapped them and the FM reception doesn't seem to change that I notice. Owners manual doesn't denote this issue.  Any one know?

Tony Smith

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLHXSE
Re: Dual Antennas on the RGU
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

Starboard side is CB.
2019 FLHXSE Black Forest/Wineberry
2017 FLHXSE Black/Orange FOR SALE
2012 FLTRU Black SOLD
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver SOLD
2007 FXSTC Black Cherry/Pewter SOLD
1988 Suzuki Katana 750 SOLD
1994 Kawasaki KX250 SOLD
1974 Honda 500 (crashed and left in a ditch somewhere)

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 08:45:01 AM »

Also in the tourpack attached to the starboard ant recepticle is a resister load for CB.  It used to be in the antenna but the antennas are pretty much the same now.   I have piss poor FM reception on my 09 SERG.  Still trying to run that down.  Believe its the radio as I connected a hidden ant under the fairing and it didn't help.  Now using Satellite Radio.  My 2011 FLTRUSE's radio works great!

CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:46:54 AM »

In testing a few aftermarket CB antennas, I found that the AM/FM antenna is just about worthless. I ended up getting close to the same reception without it mounted. And based on the results of testing other CB antennas, I found the HD version to be relatively worthless too. The 1/4 to 1/2 mile line of sight max, jumped substantially with a good antenna.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:57:45 AM »

In testing a few aftermarket CB antennas, I found that the AM/FM antenna is just about worthless. I ended up getting close to the same reception without it mounted. And based on the results of testing other CB antennas, I found the HD version to be relatively worthless too. The 1/4 to 1/2 mile line of sight max, jumped substantially with a good antenna.

So point us to a 'good' CB antenna for replacement. I noticed on my last long trip that on the road very little CB chatter was coming in, only around truck and gas stops could I really pick any extended conversations up.

DesertHOG

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:46:49 PM »

I posted this earlier in the electronics thread, but the issue regarding the CB antenna got largely ignored? Go figure?

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52525.0

Since then, I have bought a few more versions of their Firestik antennas in different lengths. And a new thinner version I'm testing that comes in 3ft and 4ft lengths as well, but does not include the tunable tip. I have subsequently bought a SWR meter and was shocked to see that no matter what I do, the SWR cannot be reduced below ~10. You should be below 2, and ideally closer to 1.

I tested another guys bike and his was very high too, so I'm guessing this is a function of the radio, and the lead back to the antenna, as I'm adding the SWR to the leads in the Tourpak and not behind the radio where you are supposed to connect, as that obviously requires removing the fairing for each session, which would get a little old.

So, what I have done so far is tune the antennas the best I could by connecting the SWR Meter to the leads in the Tourpak, and gave them a whirl.  As described in the original post, with the stocker, I would get around 1/4 to 1/2 mile in range to another stock Harley, if we were both in sight of each other folowing each other on the highway. The second someone turned off, it quickly became dead silence. On the road, I could hear truckers but most would never hear me unless I was right on top of them, so I knew there was a problem.

I then tried the Harley shorties, the J&M hidden, and some others the previous guy included with the bike and none worked much better. I then talked to a couple of truckers and was told about a few antenna mfr's like Wilson, Firestik, and a few more. I reviewed each and found that the Firestiks would probably work best for the harley application so I bought the first 4 ft Firefly.  At that point, I got it right before a Canadian trip around the Great Lakes and didn't have the SWR meter yet, so it wasn't tuned. I just adjusted the tuning screw so it was 1/2 way out.

The antenna worked fabulous. While I wasn't running with another Harley at the time, I had a bunch of conversations with truckers along the way admiring the bike, and just based on milemarkers, which are moving targets at 70+ mph, I think I was getting out about 2 to 3 miles and having still clear conversions. The bottom-line was, I was absolutely getting perhaps as much as a 10 fold increase in performance - for real!

However, and this is a BIG however, towards the end of my first leg, things started getting rural up on Canada and I hadn't noticed the drop in squelch breaks as a result, but I was shocked to find the antenna was gone at my stop in Barrie, Ontario. Upon inspection, I found that the Harley CB mount stud has snapped off, and the antenna was somewhere on the highway many miles back.

When I got back, I ordered a few of these studs, and a variety of new antennas, and the required Sierra adaptors, so I can continue my testing, but it's pretty hard getting folks to want to do this scientifically.  Obviously, the 4 ft Firefly is a stud breaker, so I'm hoping the 3ft version will be OK. However, I don't know how the 3 ft Firesfly will perform against the new thinner 4 ft version. Typically, the longer the better, but the Firefly is a better antenna, so I just don't know. It's probably a toss up.

For the Ultimate solution, if anyone is interested, I would remove the worthless AM/FM antenna, which does sap the CB performance, no matter what you use. Then I would go with the 4ft Firefly, and simply tie a little string from the antenna to the tourpak rack, to prevent the wind resistance from breaking the stud. You could probably use a plastic clip, for a more elegant solution.  From there, I'm still trying to determine if the 3ft Firefly is too much for the HD stud, and how that would stack up against the newer and thinner 4ft. Worse case scenario is, the 3ft thinner version still seems to out perform the stock antenna by at least doubling or tripling the range.

The cool thing is, these Firstik antennas cost just a small fraction of the alternatives. I think the most expensive is around $20. You do need the $10 Sierra harley adaptor too, so with shipping and everything, you're around $50. Still alot of money to purposely be trying to loose them to test the stock stud!

I probably shouldn't have gone into this much detail here, but seeing nobody asked in the original thread, I figured I might as well share what I've figured out the hard way.  If anyone has any questions, and needs some guidance, please just respond to that original post in the electronics section, so we can keep things organized.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 12:51:44 PM by mrmagloo »

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 02:04:35 PM »

mrmagloo, thanks for your detailed explanation of your experiences and testing, and for the prompt reply to my PM.

I found the adapter (?) here:

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SIE%2DHARLEY%2DADAPT

Thanks, again, for your post.

Carl

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »

Yes sir, that's it.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.