Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Death of a SE Fat Bob, way too many miles, it's done  (Read 10080 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Death of a SE Fat Bob, way too many miles, it's done
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »

Well at 5400 miles I'm informed my FB is worn out. I didn't even know. Good thing I was told about it this morning cause I was actually going to ride it today and had planned an overnight trip on it for next weekend. Man, that was close. Guess I'll call a salvage company Monday morning to get it out of here.

What has prompted this thread is a guy who had some very, very mild interest in buying m 09 SE FB emailed me saying because the bike is out of warranty and the mileage, it killed the deal for him. Warranties are nice and I can see how that could matter. No problem with that. But saying the mileage was an issue? 5400 miles is too many? Neither of my bikes are garage queens. My wife and I ride. Just got back from California where I we did 3500 miles on my 08 SG which already had 29,000 mies on it. How stupid was that. I think there are people who own motorcycles and then there are MOTOCYCLIST'S. We are the latter. The Motorcyclist, I think understands the modern motorcycle is a reliable, let me repeat that, RELIABLE, well engineered and comfortable piece of wonderfull machinery. I never leave my house with my fingers crossed, hoping I'll make it home. And let me be clear, there is nothing at all wrong with using your bike for occasional weekend rides. I understand fully you don't have to cross the country on a motorcycle to enjoy one. However, to get a full understanding of the capabilities and reliability of modern bikes it would help if you actually rode them a little bit more than occsionally................Sorry, my wife just walked in and reminded me that we took our 38,000 RKC and our 04 VTX with 17,000 to Nova Scotia...........I guess however there was a time in my younger days (I'm almost 62 now) when I to thought a motorcycle should be trashed at 2,000 miles or so. I could go on but let me leave this piece of info for those that own a motorcycle and and are not yet a MOTORCYCLISTS, don't worry about mileage. QUIT WORRYING and start riding. You will enjoy your bike a lot more. You take care of it and it will take care of you. BTW, my wife and I have seen so much of this country on our bikes. If I was worried about mileage on our bikes, I would still be looking at pictures in books. If your bike isn't under warranty or you have more than a few thousand miles on it you better hang around the house. If you don't give a damn about warranties and milage then I say to you, Nova Scotia late July 2011. Anybody's welcome.
Gary
P.S.  I will concede that last year in the Arizona desert for three hot as heck, desolate days and with a toothache I did hope I didn't break.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
Re: Death of a SE Fat Bob, way too many miles, it's done
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:57:12 PM »

You happen to be a victim of too many bikes out there sold to people that did not ride them.

I am well aware of the mileage that these bikes can do with moderate care and they can last a while.

I find myself doing the same thing as your potential buyer did in giving lower mileage bikes an edge.

Now it is rediculous to turn down a 5400 mile bike due to mileage unless you find one with 100 miles.

I have found many bikes with reasonable mileage of 10-20K only to uncover one that had less than 7K.

My Deuce is also going on the scrap heap, it has over 5K miles on it and I never ride that bike. (I am afraid)

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

yellow103

• 2005 Electra Glide SE
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »

Gary,
Well said :), Every bike I have owned, I bought for one reason, TO RIDE IT mileage be damned. My 05 SEUC, has 24,000, I have only owned this one for a year, in that year the wife and I put 14,000 miles on it, and my rding season is not over,as long as it doesn't snow, or ice I will ride. When I sold my 03 Ultra, it had over 50,000, and the guy that bought it, was not a bit concerned about the mileage. Like anything in life, you take care of it right, and it will take care of you.
2005 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide
Screaming Eagle 6 speed W/21 tooth primary drive
SE Race Tuner
Rhinehart Tru Dual
Traxxion Front Supension
Rear Sway Control
King Tour Pak
Panacea LED Light's front/rear
Heated Grips
LED trunk spoiler

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »

You and I see things exactly the same. My wife and I have heated gear so we to ride in the winter.  Don't ride as far as we do in the summer but we're still out there. I see you live in Mauretown. I'm around the corner from you. I live in Srrasburg. Shame we are that close and don't ride some time. If we do ride some time, you can lead so none of the parts on my old, high milage bike fly off and hit you. Actually we are doing a weekend trip down to southern W. Va. next weekend. Just two couples and another guy. Maybe you would be interested.
  Gary

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:33:14 PM »

I guess I will have to slow down maybe even park mine it has to be really worn out at 25,500 miles :nixweiss:

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:33 PM »

Hey yellowcvo, take a look at my tank console and side covers. $250 and your pieces. As I can't give my bike away I will be trading it in on a CVO SG in early Nov.. The dealer said I can take everything off I added. I have some nice stuff. You may be interested in some of it. My console and covers are very unique and make my bike one of a kind. Let me know if your interested.
 Gary

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:40:34 PM »

Sorry bout that. Here are the covers and console.
http://garysbikes.wordpress.com/
  Gary

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »

Gary,I had my side covers custom painted also so I do not need yours good price though.I will have to see if I can post some pics of mine when I get a chance.
      Paul

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »

I guess with 45000mi my 07FXDSE is worthless.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

Gary,I had my side covers custom painted also so I do not need yours good price though.I will have to see if I can post some pics of mine when I get a chance.
      Paul

Cool, I'd like to see what you did.
 Gary

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »

The Answer we received from a fellow harley owner was (quote)
HOG is Harley Owners Group not Harley Riders Group
True enough he did own one it was in the dark for so long the headlight turned pink. :huepfenlol2:
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 04:06:07 PM »

Just rolled over 16,000 m on my 09 FXDFSE.  Guess I'll need to park it and quit riding it every day NOT!

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 09:17:46 PM »

Gary,I just took my covers off to have 3M paint protector installed so paint stays as nice as it is now  :2vrolijk_21:
                                  Paul

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:39 PM »

here is the left side  :huepfenjump3:

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »

Now we're talking. WOW!
 Gary
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.