Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Death of a SE Fat Bob, way too many miles, it's done  (Read 10054 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Re: Death of a SE Fat Bob, way too many miles, it's done
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 03:39:59 PM »

I ride my bikes and actually brag about the high miles. I ride about 20k per year split between two bikes. If bikes are like my 4-wheelers they deteriorate faster when not in use.

Technically most endanger the warranty when they add tuners and pipes as I have been told by a dealer.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »

I ride my bikes and actually brag about the high miles. I ride about 20k per year split between two bikes. If bikes are like my 4-wheelers they deteriorate faster when not in use.

Technically most endanger the warranty when they add tuners and pipes as I have been told by a dealer.

Well said....

Ride them and enjoy them...

Whenever I have sold a bike to someone I dont know, they play the "oh its got high miles" game...  I tell them thanks for your time and ride away... When someone wants what you have for what it is they will pay you what its worth... If you dont need to sell, dont.

I'd rather own a bike with moderate miles than something stupid low that just sat parked... FI problems, like new tires failing because they are aged, dead batteries are all common issues with bikes that sit parked, unloved for long durations at a time.

I own a 1984 Monte SS that I am the second owner and have owned it for 11 years. In that time, 4 batteries, 3 fuel pumps, 3 alternators, 1 starter, 2 complete sets of tires (not worn, just aged) 23K miles driven in 11 years... 12K the first year... and 1 set of tires replaced then... so, in 10 years, 11K miles... more like 8K.. I've actually driven the car this year when the bike was in the shop... (yep... another set of tires again)

Really... I should have just driven it more often... 

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Badger

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:48 AM »

Gary,I just took my covers off to have 3M paint protector installed so paint stays as nice as it is now  :2vrolijk_21:
                                  Paul

Stunning artwork. Looks 3 dimensional. Really nice work.

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 10:47:36 AM »

Thanks Badger,I wanted to get it done when I first bought the bike but had a hard time finding good airbrush artist.When I found him I found out I had to start saving  :'(  money well spent  :bananarock:  :huepfenjump3: get compliments every time I take bike out.
                                 Paul

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »

I don't understand how a motor can be worn out in so few miles. my son's TC motor had almost 30k miles when we took it from 88 to 95", cams and headwork etc.
The mechanic showed us the pistons  and cykinders had very little wear they are still quite usable. The machining on the shirts was not even  worn only a small amout of the black was worn off the shirts. The old style cam chain tensioners had very little wear.
Ltank

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

Did I ever pull the wool over the eyes of the people at Steve Drane HD...I traded my '08 with 50,000 MILES.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.