Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 SERK Recalled?  (Read 1376 times)

roly4

• Full CVO Member
  • What?

• CVO1: 2008 SERK - Duracell #0217 *SOLD
    • CVO2: 2012 SERG - Skunk
2008 SERK Recalled?
« on: October 04, 2010, 08:46:44 PM »

So I find out while roaming around on this forum as a new user,(Thanks for all who welcomed me) that my recently purchased used 2008 SERK has been recalled. Boy do I feel like a schmuck, I guess the indepedent dealer has no responsibilty to inform me of this? Well I've put a few 100 miles with no issues that I know of...I did a Service Check up on the HD site and nothing came up..I guess that means everything is just fine? Hopefully everything is OK, I'll be calling my local dealer tomorrow to see what they have to say. Any input is welcome. :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

roly
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 08:58:17 PM by roly4 »

retired_colonel

• Retired Army
Re: 2008 SERK Recalled?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:28:21 AM »

My wife and I each own a FLHRSE4 Road King.  I am not aware of any official 'recall' program for these bikes.  H-D did offer owners the opportunity to have 'enahancements' performed at no charge; the enhancements addressed some issues that other owners have experienced...mostly with the 110" motor.  There are posts on this forum that contain the actual tech documents involved; I would look for those.  Neither of our bikes have experienced any of the problems, so we have elected to not fix what ain't broke (yet?...that is the accepted risk).  There are many other owners that have many miles on their SE4's without incident.  Your dealer can run the VIN# to determine if the previous owner had the 'enhancments' performed.  I also believe there was a 2 year time limit on having the work performed...not sure if that is negotiable.  Regardless, if you have no issues, I would just enjoy these wonderful bikes.
2008 FLHRSE4 x 2
2004 FLHRCI
2003 FXDL

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 02:36:21 PM »

Actually, there is at least one official safety recall for the 2008 Touring models, including the SERK.  It's for a fuel filter housing defect.  See this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=25524.0;topicseen

There was also a "Product Enhancement" program for the 110 engine, which isn't a recall but a service program.  Details are available on this site, and any dealer should be able to put your VIN into the Harley computer system and tell you if your bike is eligible for either the recall or the enhancement program, or tell you if they have already been performed.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:54:26 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

roly4

• Full CVO Member
  • What?

• CVO1: 2008 SERK - Duracell #0217 *SOLD
    • CVO2: 2012 SERG - Skunk
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »

Thanks for the input Jerry and Colonel, Update: Just got back from the dealer, both the enhancement and the recall were done by previous owner. But to ease my mind I had them do the 5k service and a once over as well. The only recomendation they had was to install a HI-Flow breather & Super Tuner due to the bike running lean. Other than that ole' Copper Head is just fine.

Roly :cool3:

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.