Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to disconnect the power on 2011??  (Read 1161 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
How to disconnect the power on 2011??
« on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »

The other day I removed my gas tank to perform some wiring additions..i.e. installed an air horn.  Looking in the owner's manual there appeared to be some conflict as to how to do it.  Knowing that there is a monster of an alarm on both the '10 and '11 I knew I didn't want to screw it up and do something wrong.  The manual talked to disconnect the power to the optional siren (optional????) you turn the on/off switch to off.  But to disconnect the battery you turn the on/off switch to on.  I finally called the dealer and he told me to just turn the switch to on and disconnect the negative terminal.  So, I did just that.  Turning the switch to on turns all the power on to the headlight, and signal lamps, etc.  Make sure you have the fob with you and just unscrew the negative battery terminal and there is no spark, lights go out, power is disconnected.  Now you are free to change all the wiring you want.  Just don't let those wires touch.     when thru, just have the switch on, and connect the negative terminal and all goes back like it was.  Perfect.     Doing it incorrectly the first time on my '10 resulted in a good spark, siren running me out of the garage and much pain later on when the security system no longer operated correctly resulting in a need to replace the speedometer.  So, follow this method and all will be right with the world.  Pork.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:03:31 PM by porkypig »

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
Re: How to disconnect the power on 2011??
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 04:39:52 AM »

You say a needed to replace the speedo??  Why?  What happened to it?
I ask because my tach has been screwy ever since about the time I got the bike. I did not notice right off but after a couple hundred miles if I accelerated hard the tach would loose sync and just do weird things. Sometimes sit at 1000 rpm no matter what speed I was at, sometimes 0, and once it was taching 8thou + on me and settling around 55 when at idol (sorry, for the life of me I cannot remember how to spell)! Turning the bike off would reset it. The dealer tried tightening the ground but that did not work. At my 1000 mile svc they ordered a new tach/speedo... they said HD would have to burn in the miles and we estimated them at 1800 for a 2 week order process... Here I sit at 3800 miles + with the tach STILL on order.... I think I need to call someone at a higher level since this is a hosed up situation.... Other than this prob the bike is great!!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:20:33 PM »

Jeff, yes they had to replace the speedo.  Originally before I took it in for the 1000 mile check, I failed to read the manual and disconnected the power like I had done with my Heritage....just pulled off the wire......well, there was a slight arc, the security system went APE and siren drove me out of the garage only to return shortly with the fob!  then I read in the manual that you must turn the ignition to "on" (lights on, etc) (actually I believe it was ign-off-ign-off-ign)  and then disconnect the cable with the fob in hand, of course.  The bike recognizes you as a 'friendly' as soon as you turn on the ign and it lets you do whatever you like, so to speak.  Well, ever since that time the security light failed to blink every 3 seconds or so when the bike was off.  The siren went ape whenever you moved the bike if the fob wasn't present but no light every 3 seconds after that.  Then I went into the mode where the key light would come on and stay on most of the time.  Also the 6th gear light would come on and then go out on a regular basis even when in 6th gear.  Dealership couldn't figure it all out.  Moco had them empty the program and reprogram the security system with the hope it would solve the problem.  (I am 85 miles from the dealership so it was all on my dime)  Finally that did not do the trick even the 6th gear light began working correctly when they replaced the clutch interlock switch (?) but the security issue remained.  Dealership said they were going to order and try a new speedometer as they had to do that for one person previously (why not try that the very first time you say???).  So, in that case I asked them about the mileage thing......they told me whatever mileage the bike had when I brought it in would be the mileage on the new speedo when it came in 2 weeks later so I could just put however miles I wanted on the bike and it would be "free mileage".  In other words, "drive the _ _ _ _ out of the bike".  So, I did and when the new speedo came in they replaced it and the new one had even fewer miles on it than expected.  My gain....... and the new speedo appeared to be the issue.  The security "key" began working and all seemed well with the world.   So, it may have fried something in the speedo from the getgo and that is what it took to resolve it.  It did seem as though they were approaching the problem with sunglasses "firmly in place".......  Maybe Moco mechanics should read the forum a little more often to stay abreast to the problems we are having.  Hopefully they are!  these bikes definitely aren't your grampa's Harley!

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »

You say a needed to replace the speedo??  Why?  What happened to it?
I ask because my tach has been screwy ever since about the time I got the bike. I did not notice right off but after a couple hundred miles if I accelerated hard the tach would loose sync and just do weird things. Sometimes sit at 1000 rpm no matter what speed I was at, sometimes 0, and once it was taching 8thou + on me and settling around 55 when at idol

My tach always worked correctly as I remember.  I remember reading about a few people that were having issues with it early on.  Hopefully the new unit will be the answer.   Pork

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.