Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Time for New Tires  (Read 1145 times)

goldfar

Time for New Tires
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:05:16 PM »

7,300 miles, worn and cupped tires (always have had correct pressure).

The dealer will replace with the Dunlaps that came originally from factory.  Price is a little steep - $216 rear, $200 front - but the killer is $150 labor to do the mounting!  $566 each time I ride 7K miles??!!

Now, it's been a while since I bought bike tires (OK, 1974) but isn't this way too much for a pair of tires??

The guy down the street with a small shop that just sells bike tires will sell me Dunlap Elites, $172 rear, $143 front and a more reasonable $65 labor to mount and balance.

Questions:

Are the Dunlap Elites as good as the factory originals?

Should I stick with the dealer to ensure that the wheels are properly reinstalled?

Are there better tires for this bike?  Avon Cobras??
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
Re: Time for New Tires
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »

when my tires wear out  ia'm putting on metz's , had metz on other bikes in the past   and i really like  ride ,  been caught in rainstorms that could drown a frog and the metz's  still gripped well in all kinds of weather and road conditions ....  as far as our stock dunlops goes   they would make a awsome   tire swing  for the kids
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:33:36 PM »

Never had an issue with HD Dunlaps, get over 10K rear more on front.  Replacement in Alabama $475.00 installed including tax.  Check around, your dealer is too high.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »

I guess I'm doing something wrong. I'm thinking 7,500 would be good mileage for a back tire. But then I gotta remind myself that I ride my bike everywhere it goes. And my speed is usually higher than 45mph. Ditto on the Metzellers...My second back tire was a Metz 880...luved the traction 'especially' in Torrential Downpoors! My third will be another 880 and probably before Jan.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:46:06 PM by 1Man »
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:04:51 AM »

The Cost of tires and tire changing:

I feel for ya brother...  I was pretty shocked the last time i priced out the cost of mount and balance.

I have a buddy who is a motorcycle enthusiast club member that invested in a tire changing tool and static balancer setup.

He showed me how to change and balance my own tires.    It was a piece of cake.  saved the $200 they charge at my local dealer.  AND i was shocked to find that my static balance made the bike smoother than it had ever been from the dealer work.   

I kid you not.  if you have any mechanical skills at all,  team up and fund the tools, do it yourself.
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 01:21:08 PM »

Tried 3 times last night to reply here but some virus ware on the computer kept playing games with me.  I got on average 12,000 on my rear tire on the '05 Heritage over 57,000 miles.  Front one was changed at 35,000!  Now these are wider (much wider) on the rear but I would expect to get at least 10K and possibly more if I don't hotrod the bike.  Tires for the rear I expected to (not quite, but almost) break the bank.  That bike wouldn't look as good with a smaller rear tire at all.  And there is substantial cost for someone to knock it down and reinstall it.  We have a local place that is about 1/2 the stealer's price if I want to remove the wheel from the rear fender myself.  Every little bit of help on $$ helps.  Bite the bullet, get some new rubber and stay safe!!

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 22 queries.