Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is thye Convertible a capable weekend tourer  (Read 3239 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Is thye Convertible a capable weekend tourer
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »

Me 5'10" 225, she 5'4" 145. I'm toying with the  idea of this bike. It would be my secondary bike. Something I would want to use for weekend trips of say, 500 miles. I'm wondering about the seat, the windshield, carrying capacity, Suspension (handling). If you use this bike for bar hopping you probably don't have the kind of feedback I'm looking for. But if you do a good bit of two up touring, I'd like your opinions. Also, Is this bike desireable and have any resale value. I ask because my current CVO Fat Bob is basically worthless though I still adore it.
 Gary

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: Is thye Convertible a capable weekend tourer
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »

Me 5'10" 225, she 5'4" 145. I'm toying with the  idea of this bike. It would be my secondary bike. Something I would want to use for weekend trips of say, 500 miles. I'm wondering about the seat, the windshield, carrying capacity, Suspension (handling). If you use this bike for bar hopping you probably don't have the kind of feedback I'm looking for. But if you do a good bit of two up touring, I'd like your opinions. Also, Is this bike desireable and have any resale value. I ask because my current CVO Fat Bob is basically worthless though I still adore it.
 Gary

Gary, I had a 2010 convertible and made a 2500 mile 9-day trip to Sturgis last summer.  Made a couple 500-600 mile trips that were 2-3 days long.  With and without a partner.  I'm 5-11 200 lbs/ she's 5-0 145 lbs.  Without a partner I also pack a trunk and small suitcase.  With a partner I utilize the trunk without suitcase but do bungee assorted clothing to the top of my trunk.  It has been a bit of a stretch to be comfortable as far as having enough clothes to pack, tools, tent, etc.  When I'm by myself, I generally camp and pack camping equipment.  With a partner it is motelling it only.  So, the extra space you save with a motel can be used for extra clothes, combs, hair dryers, etc etc .  ha!  The 2010 model has saddlebags that are 2/3 the size of my 2005 Heritage bags.  The 2011 model has full-size bags that lock also.  In addition you can purchase a trunk.  So the potential for plenty of storage is there with the 2011.  The ride I believe is pretty good.  Coupled with a crash-bar with pegs and passenger footboards, you can easily do 500 miles a day.  The ride is comfortable, you can carry plenty of gear, you have the power to pull a trailor if you like......and you have the luxury of cruise control which can extend your stamina and get you farther down the road in a day.  I am looking forward to taking a run to Sturgis next summer.  A great buy!  Plus, you have the added diversity to strip off the bags, the rear seat/trunk/sissy bar/windshield and just go play for the day.  What more could you ask for in a softail??  Heated seats and grips in the wintertime, you say???  Start sniffing around next July and you just might get the "ultimate" softail.  No need to buy a tourer unless you just want to!   Pork

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:31:02 PM »

I second what Pork said it is a capable medium range tourer. The most I have done in a single day so far with the ConV was about 400 miles and that was a piece of cake. I did a 2 up long weekend ride with the wife from Long Island to Baltimore MD. Instead of the tour pack I added a luggage rack to the sissy bar and added one of the medium sized H-D soft bags and we had enough space. The 2011 has bigger saddle bags so you should have no issue. As Pork said when the touring is done for the day the bike strips down very easily to a smokin' bar cruiser and she looks mighty good in that configuration.

The windshield does leave a lot to be desired but you can change that out by replacing the glass with an aftermarket one (7jurok seems to be the best of the bunch so far) or replace it with a traditional Fay Boy windshield. You can also add lower fork deflectors which seem to be well liked as they are effective but I have not added them myself. I do not mind the seat but the wife (5'7" 125 lbs) did ask for a gel cover or some other added cushion if we were planning on anything longer than a few hundred miles. The bike is low and has about 3.5" or rear suspension travel which you use up pretty quickly on big bumps and potholes, but it is nice and smooth for the most part and should do fine for the long haul. Underneath all the CVO bling it's still a Softail frame and while that's fine for me, it ain't no Ultra and doesn't pretend to be. Keep that in mind as you weigh all the options out. Given how nicely it strips down to cruise mode and how good it looks doing it, you may consider this a replacement for your current bike rather than a supplement. If you really want to keep the Fat Bob then I would consider a full on tourer as you will have the option of either style. There is a CVO Road Glide in my future as soon as I can figure out how to acquire one without having to trade in the wife to get it. :-)

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »

If you want the truth i'll give it to you. It's a fun bike. I have done 300+ miles in a hurry and was comfortable all the way. The suspension sucks on these bikes and the ground clearence is next to nothing. 2 up you will drag the boards no matter how careful you are on medium turns, I have even ground down my bottom pipe a good 1/2" so far. If you want to tour with it very, very seldom it's just o.k. This is the first softail I have ever owned and it will be the last for sure. The ride is just that poor compared to the tour bikes or Dynas for that matter. Is it worth anything? Not to dealers but it's worth whatever you can get privately.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

These are the three best and informative replies I have ever had regarding any subject. Wow! Anyway, I have an 08 SG with 103 but I'm trading that in on a new CVO SG. I'm 62 this month and in excellent shape (So far). But somewhere down the line I may need a lighter bike and the VERT is very appealing because of the way it's equipped this year. CC, ABS and speakers are all must haves for me (I will never own another bike without ABS). I think very highly of my CVO Fat Bob and the wife and I have been very comfy on it but as I said, I'm impressed with the VERT's equipment. Another question. Has anyone altered the suspension and is there any way to add clearance i.e. taller shock and maybe higher rate springs in the front? Thanks again for the great replies.
 Gary

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 12:16:35 AM »

Gary, you didn't say if you had done anything thus far with the suspension on this bike yet.  Have you adjusted it yet?  On this bike, I believe there is 5 full turns that you can get out of the shocks to reinforce the ride.  I never adjusted the shocks on my 05 Heritage until i had probably 50,000 miles on it.  Just never had.  and when I did, man what  wonderful ride it became when we went 2 up.  Makes a huge difference.  I have not done it either.  Have a 2nd tool coming soon that will allow me to adjust them.  I think you're correct in that the changes this year are substantial. Not sure I could ever be truly happy with anything less than the 110 after having one for a full year.  Even though I was very impressed by the 96 from the 88.........  88 to 110??  Night and Day!   Pork

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »

I'm 50 years old and have had two knee replacements. I traded my 96cuin Ultra in for the lighter 10 Conv. I just made a 3200 mile two week trip with a three day stopover in New Orleans. The conv performed fine, but it is what it is. Its not a long range cruiser. 350 miles a day is about right. I've. Grown tired of sleeping on the ground. And the motel bed everynight probably saved me on this one. I got a 21" windshield from a 10 heritage to hide behind, mustache bar and pegs. Just lean back against the T-Bag and twist. Plus my wifey rides her own Dyna Fat Bob so we can carry our own stuff. It wouldn't work for me two up.
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

FreestateSE3

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2012 FLSTSE Convertible
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 07:52:34 AM »

Touring Two-up you will be limited on luggage space.  As to comfort, it's all relative.  My wife traded her 2006 Heritage for a 2010 Convertible, and is extremely happy with her choice.  In August, we took a 2500 mile run (camping) from VA down around the Gulf Coast.  The longest day in the saddle was from Savannah, GA back to the ranch, which is around 600 mi.  Next year, it's back to Sturgis. 

Don
Rolling Thunder, Inc.
Virginia Chapter 1
"Never Again"

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »

I'm 50 years old and have had two knee replacements. I traded my 96cuin Ultra in for the lighter 10 Conv. I just made a 3200 mile two week trip with a three day stopover in New Orleans. The conv performed fine, but it is what it is. Its not a long range cruiser. 350 miles a day is about right. I've. Grown tired of sleeping on the ground. And the motel bed everynight probably saved me on this one. I got a 21" windshield from a 10 heritage to hide behind, mustache bar and pegs. Just lean back against the T-Bag and twist. Plus my wifey rides her own Dyna Fat Bob so we can carry our own stuff. It wouldn't work for me two up.

Hey 1man, because you guys own a Fat Bob also, can you compare it to the Softail? If you had to ride two up which bike would you want to to that on?
 Gary

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »

Hey 1man, because you guys own a Fat Bob also, can you compare it to the Softail? If you had to ride two up which bike would you want to to that on?
 Gary

The Fat Bob is probably as good a tourer as a Softail, add easy brackets and detach bags and your about there? It just wont bottom as easily  :nixweiss:

I had 2 late model Softails and toured with both 2 up (over 20,000 miles each), Added the Tour Pak and still short on room. We loved them both until we got the SESG you don't know what you don't know?

The SESG is going to be the ticket for that and the weight difference is minimal.

My suggestion save your money get the SESG and add the Detach Tour Pak it has much more storage capacity and rides significantly better.

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »

Heavy on the tour pak.  almost can't imagine a long trip without a tourpak.  Lots of storage (2500 ci if I recall correctly) and quick release is the way to go. And the chrome buttons really match the rest of the bike.   Niccccce bike!  I likey!   

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 01:41:01 PM »

Wheels, what kind of bags do you have on the bike?  And what year is the bike?  2009?  Maybe a mustang seat??  Couple mods I would suggest to you would be crashbar up front and saddlebag crash bars.  I would have them on my '11 but unfortunately they arent making them just yet. 
another mod would be a passenger grab rail.  they make one for softails now, but I had a stock one from a 2004 Road King.  About $140 but passenger then has something to grab onto when the bike starts going sideways......and over railroad tracks.........  Pork

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »

Just was using it as an example for the OP I sold it to buy my 2010 Street Glide

It's a 2007 Heritage Softail Classic with Tins painted by Attitude Customs in Florida We put 28,000 miles on her in 18 months. So I guess that counts as a "Tourer"?

The bags are from  http://www.ccsaddlebags.com/ (Good selection and Quality) detachable on Easy Brackets and the seat is a Saddlemen Classic Explorer with rider and passenger Gel. Most comfortable seat I've had especially for the BSR. She misses that seat

Everything was removable same premise as the Conv but before Harley built one

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 02:23:19 AM »

The Fat-Bob vrs. Softail Comfort....... The "E model" engine is just so much smoother I have to go with the softail. I've rode behind her on her FXDF.......but not far.....but it's lowered.....frankly I didn't like it. Was not comfortable. She loves her Fat Bob. I thought about her riding my bike. But I think she'd like it too much! :)
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 22 queries.