Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: drag bars on FXR3  (Read 10828 times)

HD-CVO

drag bars on FXR3
« on: November 03, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »

i recently got a blue flame- the bars a sort of narrow so i am thinking to go drag bars- i noticed lots of posts from FXR4 folks removing the drags and installing bars more like the 3

anyone out there in the 6 ft size that like the drags?

anyone who removed the drags form a 4 want to sell them?

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: drag bars on FXR3
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 02:29:36 AM »

Before you spend money on "drag" bars you might want to settle on a seat first then focus on the bars.

You are right the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) bars for the FXR2 and FXR3 are only 28 inches wide. I posted a THREAD in this Section regarding a transformation to different "wider" handlebars, easy to find THREAD.

Drag bars like every thing else is a "taste" thing.....you might check out FLANDERS through a google search and take a peek at their options for a drag bar that would fit an FXR in general, my budy PZN16 is an "official" "lurker" here never posts and fits the height requirement you mentioned above he is using some different bars than what was provided OEM as well but not "drag" bars.

You might take a "gander" to v-twinforum.com where there is also a FXR Specific Section and ask some FXR owners over thete as well.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:36:03 AM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »

I have a set of OEM bars that I took off my FXR4, I'm willing to sell them, sent me a msg
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

call me if you want to discuss buying my FXR4 stock bars ....

eight 03 -466-8118
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Sputnik

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 08:44:03 PM »

I have an FXR4 and find myself reaching for the bars with the straight riser configuration. The FXR seat sits me low in the saddle and back a bit, so that adds to the problem. I have been looking for an FXR seat for under $300. but they are hard to find unless you want well worn seats that you find on E-bay. I wouldnt personally go with drag bars. I am 6ft tall, maybe I have short arms. The stock ergonomics are not good for me, but the rest of the FXR experience makes up for it.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »

I have an FXR4 and find myself reaching for the bars with the straight riser configuration. The FXR seat sits me low in the saddle and back a bit, so that adds to the problem. I have been looking for an FXR seat for under $300. but they are hard to find unless you want well worn seats that you find on E-bay. I wouldnt personally go with drag bars. I am 6ft tall, maybe I have short arms. The stock ergonomics are not good for me, but the rest of the FXR experience makes up for it.
Agreed.  First thing I did was forward controls, pullback risers and old style bars.  Way more comfortable for me.  I don't know why they would ever put straight risers with drag bars.  Very unusual and contradictory IMHO. 
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FXR4Jay

• Swamp Dweller
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »

Starting to think the Drag bars have to go on my FXR4 as well while like the look,  I ride a lot and sometimes with some distance involved .. Think these bars will be the next to go although will probably save them as i have everything changed so far so the original look could be restored ..
Took me long Enough, but finally got my Dream Bike

HD-CVO

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 09:31:27 PM »

I wanted to provide an update, as old as this post is. I kept the FXR3 the way it was, never really been comfortable for me but after riding a while I get used to it. I just bought an FXR4 with the stock "drag" bars and what a difference

I am 6'1- the FXR4 is a much better fit for me and since they are basically the same bike I can tell you it works better, at least for me

I don't know that I will change them on the 3 since it is unmolested right now- but it will never feel as good as the FXR4

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:57 PM »

My bike came with drag bars. They were not comfortable for me 5'9". The bars were too narrow.  Could NT see out I'd rear veiw mirrors.  I bought 10" Buckhorns.  Like them a lot, they got my hands higher and closer to me. Had to extend wiring though a kit (easy). Longer throttle,  clutch and brake lines total. Coast was bit but worth it now that it was 40,000 miles ago!

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.