Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Depreciation galore  (Read 8425 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Depreciation galore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 09:24:44 PM »

Not to stir a pot here, since its my intent to buy CVO next, and maybe all future bikes, but....

Another site I am on for years mostly consider CVO a waste of money and for RUBs, not actual real riders.  I know, thats BS, but I am only stating my observaton of their attitude, not my own.  Comments like a CVO cant be found with over 1,000 actual road miles on it, the rest is dyno mileage, and such crap like that.  I suspect there are a number of HD riders that think a CVO is only for the rich, or RUB or posers, which might explain lower demand.

That and that many like to do their own customization rather than by a bike with a lot of the customization done for them.  I have seen others state if they want a custom, they would buy a Big Dog, Bourget, etc, rather than a HD.

To each his own.  Personally, I have always like the CVO lineup since inception.  I also used to like to customize my bike on my own.  But, as I get older, I just want to ride and to heck with working on the bike, other than oil changes and clutch adjustments.  Tired of futzing.  When I buy a CVO, I cant care less if some azzhat thins I am a RUB, poser, or whatever.  Its their problem, not mine.

Anyway, this might help explain the lower values, but nothing impacts them as much as todays economy and the used bike market.  Everything is down.  I just sold my 103 RG (07) for $14.2K and lost a bit of money on it, that I wouldnt have 3-4 years ago.  Thats just the market today, like it or not.  If I was uptight about it, I would have held the bike a few more years to see what happens.  But, who knows that it will come back?  If you know, please PM me the Powerball numbers for the draw this Saturday, please.  Cus I need a new CVO.  lol
Dennis

I think I know the site you mean...there are some comments made that I have to just ignore or I would get too worked up about them..who cares what they think.....ride what you want..that's the name of the game.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:51 PM »

Alot of these people are just jealous. Who wouldn't want to start out with a CVO if they could? You see them at the dealership staring at the CVO's. Since its out of their league, they just bad mouth the bikes and their owners. That's how they justify the fact that they don't own one. I don't do alot of miles, but when I open the garage door, it makes me smile. Its called pride of ownership. That's one of the things that really make the CVO's special and purposeful. And as far as depreciation? Try high performance boating. It makes the depreciation of these bikes look like the bargain of the century.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 11:00:24 PM by pm203 »

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »

who cares what anyone else thinks, i get as much pleasure today as 15 years ago when i first straddled my custom softail, just remember the harley adage
"if i have to explain you wouldnt understand"
we have a passion for harleys , someone else has a passion for stamps or football or racehorses, what does it matter ,  we enjoy it . it costs money, yiou forget about it once it is spent. dont worry about what youre gonna get on the resale....... cars depreciate twice as fast...... cancel that about six times as fast

TBATFAN

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Con V Crimson
    • CVO2: 2008 FDXSE2 Screamin Eagle Dyna 287/1050
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

Here is my story:
  I owned a 2007 Electra-glide out right, bought it brand new in '07 and paid $17,650. In march this year I paid $21,500 for a 2008 screamin eagle dyna with 93 miles on it. That's the good parts..........
  My wife and I fell in love with the 2010 CVO ConV, so my bright idea was to trade in both bike for the ConV. The dealer gave me $11,500 for the glide ( which I thought was reasonable , the bike had 14k ) . But the Dyna was what cost me........$15k for a bike I had owned less than 6 months!!!!!

The touring bike had depreciated much less in 3 years than the Dyna SE!!!  Live and learn!!!!

Got to be happy with the ConV , I am gonna keep this one for a while!!!!!!
2007 Electra Glide Classic ( My Geezer Glide )
Dark Cherry
2008 FXDSE2 Screamin Eagle Dyna
Anniversary Edition 287/1050
2010 CVO ConV Crimson

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »

That's the spirit - Buy what you like and can afford, and ride the chit out of it.  The best way to combat depreciation is to amortize that over many, many miles donning a silly grin the whole way.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:20 PM »

My next bike will be a CVO (Ultra or RG????)....probably (slightly) used as I can import it to Canada easier than a new one...for now I am happy with my 103" in my Ultra...really I am happy...if I keep telling myself...

WARNING: Areas of floor adjacent to Harley Davidson CVOs may be slippery ( I drool!)
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 10:47:26 AM »

You found a dealer who was desperate. Not all dealers are. There is no way I would sell it for 21k. I still feel that this offer is light. And, by the way, you got an awesome deal.

Found a 2010 Crimson for $23,800 + TTL 2 days before at another dealer.  Invoice on the 2010 bike is $23,000  so at sticker the dealer is making a killing.  Tack on some bogus "freight and set-up" fee and the dealer is laughing his a$$ off as soon as you drive off the lot.  It will be no different with the 2011 models.  If you are going to buy one wait until October 2011 and you will get a smokin' deal. 

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in?  Currently, and this is no slight to anyone, baggers (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc) are the movers where I'm at.  Unfortunately, you see the convertibles (new and used alike) sitting for months on the floor waiting to be sold around here, just like the SE Fat Bobs.  When I took my 07 SEUC down and traded it for my RUSE, they didn't even put it into service to have it checked over, they just rolled in on the floor and sold it within 5 hours of it hitting the floor.  (Of course it didn't hurt that they knew how I take care of my bikes and that all the service had been done at their dealership.)  My 08 Street Glide that I put on consignment to get my 10 SESG lasted two days on the floor before it was sold and my 02 Ultra that I traded in on the 07 SEUC lasted all of two days before it was sold.  The market around here, and, from what I've read, across most of the country, currently is for baggers.  You're going to get a higher trade in from the dealers, or higher private resale, with a bagger because they are the most popular Harleys right now and dealers know they can turn them around relatively quickly.  Again, no slight, but putting saddle bags and a tiny wind deflector on a softtail, does not a bagger make.  JMO.  

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 01:19:31 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in?  Currently, and this is no slight to anyone, baggers (Street Glides, Electra Glides, Road Glides, etc) are the movers where I'm at.  Unfortunately, you see the convertibles (new and used alike) sitting for months on the floor waiting to be sold around here, just like the SE Fat Bobs.  When I took my 07 SEUC down and traded it for my RUSE, they didn't even put it into service to have it checked over, they just rolled in on the floor and sold it within 5 hours of it hitting the floor.  (Of course it didn't hurt that they knew how I take care of my bikes and that all the service had been done at their dealership.)  My 08 Street Glide that I put on consignment to get my 10 SESG lasted two days on the floor before it was sold and my 02 Ultra that I traded in on the 07 SEUC lasted all of two days before it was sold.  The market around here, and, from what I've read, across most of the country, currently is for baggers.  You're going to get a higher trade in from the dealers, or higher private resale, with a bagger because they are the most popular Harleys right now and dealers know they can turn them around relatively quickly.  Again, no slight, but putting saddle bags and a tiny wind deflector on a softtail, does not a bagger make.  JMO.  

I never paid much attention in school but I think you just accurately described supply and demand.

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 08:07:50 PM »

Another important factor you have to remember when trading in/selling your bike is what is popular in the area/market your selling in? .  

So very true. Springers are soft in the NH area so I am told.

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 08:15:52 PM »

who cares about depreciation, you have bought a bike that you like , not just cos you will get abetter trade in next year,
i bought my first 42 inch plasma for $9,000 , now i can buy a better bigger one for a tenth of the price, but i wanted it then.

live with it

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 12:43:37 PM »

who cares about depreciation, you have bought a bike that you like , not just cos you will get abetter trade in next year,
i bought my first 42 inch plasma for $9,000 , now i can buy a better bigger one for a tenth of the price, but i wanted it then.

live with it

Well said!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

Well, I have been trying to trade or sell my 2010 flstse for a week now and the very best offer I got for her is 21k. The thing is spotless, 3800 miles, 2k in upgrades and doesn't even need a bath. Looks like this bike was the worse bike purchase ever.

As a matter of percentages, what would a one year old auto bring you on a trade ? I've got a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-6 with every single option Mitsubishi offered in 08 except GPS. Orginal price was just a few bucks shy of $35,000. The vehicle has 27,000 miles on it and would only need a good detail job and new tires to pass as brand new. The dealership where I bought it offered me $12k for it in trade. That was last April and obviously, I'm still pissed off. Bottom line is the minute you ride/drive away with a new vehicle you lose at least 1/3rd of the sticker price.It's why financial experts recommend buying two year old vehicles vice new ones. 

B B

pm203

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2010, 02:24:18 PM »

As a matter of percentages, what would a one year old auto bring you on a trade ? I've got a 2008 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-6 with every single option Mitsubishi offered in 08 except GPS. Orginal price was just a few bucks shy of $35,000. The vehicle has 27,000 miles on it and would only need a good detail job and new tires to pass as brand new. The dealership where I bought it offered me $12k for it in trade. That was last April and obviously, I'm still pissed off. Bottom line is the minute you ride/drive away with a new vehicle you lose at least 1/3rd of the sticker price.It's why financial experts recommend buying two year old vehicles vice new ones. 

B B
In your case, you lost alot of money as soon as you took delivery of your new vehicle. And, in alot higher percentage than your average vehicle. Not that your Mitsu is a bad vehicle. Its just a unpopular car in a very slow market segment. From Audi TT's and Porsche Caymans to BMW Z-4's ,that segment is dead right now. If you had purchased a new Audi S5 for instance, you may have only lost 20% or so. And, that also gets mirrored to the bike market. Certain HD's and Ducati's for instance bring more money and hold better resale than others. In the end, you have to buy what you like. Buying for resale sounds nice, but really doesn't make sense when talking about buying  something as a toy or for your hobby.

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:35 PM »

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my first post but the second one should have cleared things up a bit. This model has a far greater depreciation rate than other HD's, which caught me by surprise I guess. Compared to other HD's I have owned I would take the worse beating on what I thought was going to be the best return. Like I said, live and learn.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.