Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: 5 dead 5 hurt in SoCal crash with 7 cycles  (Read 8390 times)

JasonDeezy

• Ride it 'til the wheels fall off...
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Orange you glad it's a CVO?...

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B
King Tour Pack
Roland Sands Design Diesel Wheels 18"/21"
Klock Werks 21" Slicer Fender
Klock Werks 8" FLARE Black Windshield
Hawg Wired DCS/SX System
Cary Faas Racing (CFR) Slipons
Fullsac X-Pipe B
8" Yaffe OEM Monkey Bars & Power Mirrors
TTS Mastertune
Dakota Digital Gauges MCL-3006-R
Carl Brouhard Floorboards (Front & Rear)
   Brake Arm, Brake Pedal
   Heel & Toes Shifter (w/pegs), Shift Arm & Linkage
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame (#9182)
Arlen Ness Deep Cut Grips
Wheeldock EZ-Up Centerstand

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Re: 5 dead 5 hurt in SoCal crash with 7 cycles
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 06:47:21 AM »

Sorry to hear this....hope they find the guy who caused this and burn his but good.....

napalm
napalm

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 07:09:56 AM »

So tragic.  :( Ditto what Nick Said.  >:(  I've all but given up group rides. Polish the bell.

Kern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »

Daaaamn. Another senseless yet tragic loss of life.

Everybody is in a such a hurry these days.

wxdude

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »

I just finished reading this on foxnews then saw it here.  Such a sad yet ever so typical story.  Impatient cager causes multiple injuries and deaths, sounds like half the drivers here around Memphis.

May those that are no longer with us be remembered. 

Stay safe out there.
2011 FLHTCUSE6:

Straight stock so far...

CJ

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »

I hope they find him.

RJW

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE5d #506
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:48 PM »

They found the person responsible.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 08:37:53 PM »

I hope they fry him
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »

Honda car driver still at large, the one responsible.

bobaroni

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 1999 Dyna LowRider
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »

So tragic.  :( Ditto what Nick Said.  >:(  I've all but given up group rides. Polish the bell.
:2vrolijk_21:

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:37:03 AM »

Just read about this five minutes ago...darned tragic...Honda guy needs to be tried for murder...multiple counts.
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 08:42:12 AM »

how can somone drive away from this like nothing happened?
<a href="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&amp;videoId=us/2010/11/14/ca.motorcycle.crash.cnn" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_416x234_embed.swf?context=embed&amp;videoId=us/2010/11/14/ca.motorcycle.crash.cnn</a>
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

StrokedRider

• If i had to do it all over again i would Ride a little harder, Love a little better and Stay a little longer.
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Ride Hard, Live Free!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red / Black Ice (SOLD to Mjcw01)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:02:51 AM »

HEAVY SIGH!
"Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:54 AM »

2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 12:46:52 PM »

I see where they have the one in the car that actually hit the cycles.

He was driven off the road to the right and ended up crossing back over the road into the cycles.

I have not seen yet, that they got the guy (Honda Guy)that actually started the the chain reaction.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 01:09:38 PM »

Sad Day, That hit,s  any group hard.To think your going to have fun for the weekend and not come back home sucks. I was on a ride this weekend, pounded a lot of ground/miles when i heard of this.  Can,t help but wonder if there was anything the group could have done to save there live,s . Were they packed up to tight? Did they have time to Ditch ? Run there bikes off road then go down ? i,ve done that 7k damage to bike a little black and blue but i,m still here.  anything we can learn from this?  if there is a collection for the family,s i,m in...AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »

Horrible mess and my thoughts go out to the survivors and families. The guy that hit them allegedly was drunk, and he's the one ultimately responsible. If they ever find the other car, they can go after them as well, but it'll be tough without a plate number or better ID than what's been said so far. Another senseless tragedy.
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »

dam shame
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »

My condolences to the families, friends and all concerned.

Accident caused by a person who has determined his reason for being in a hurry, and damn the consequences. Being done by persons with two, four and eighteen wheelers. (Driver mentality: A bad driver is a driver that doesn't drive like me! If they drive slower than me they are a wuss if they drive faster than me they are a maniac.)

12 motorcycles in a group (staggered on that road) would almost equal (guessing) eight cars driving in a group? Doing between 50 - 70 mph. Hard to pass safely.

You obviously can't stop a determined vehicle from passing so how does a group of bikes communicate or go about letting somebody go around them on two lane roads. I could see where a large group might leave a gap like every 4, 6, or 8, bikes. Rear riders flashing headlights to warn bikes in front that a wannabe passer is behind group. You can't drive safely forward by constantly checking your rear but being aware of what's behind is good defensively. (I've also heard of an unwritten rule that you don't let other vehicles into the group. PRIDE!)

I've seen situations where some drivers go really slow through curvy or hilly sections of road backing up lots of traffic and then speed up to where they can't be safely passed in the straight aways, instead of staying at a slower speed so vehicles can safely go around, and then speeding up. (Trailer towers, trucks with heavy loads, motorcycle groups, etc.) This situation has caused lots of drivers to take extra risks in passing, mostly out of frustration. I'm guilty!!!

Maintaining the speed limit would be the safest for most scenarios. People tend to want to pass more when the vehicle in front is below the posted speed. (You will always have the person who wants to be first and fastest and I don't really care as long as they aren't endangering everybody around them. I try to figure out a way to safely let them go by. But how to do this in a large group of riders is my question?)

All my respect and heartfelt condolences to the victims of this accident. My questions and comments are only in regards to understanding how to be the safest when riding in a group.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:52:24 PM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 07:23:28 PM »

The driver of the Avenger was found sober by tox. tests today. He now has to live with loosing a friend killed in the crash and reliving the whole scene over and over. As of 4p today the Honda driver has not been located.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »

The driver of the Avenger was found sober by tox. tests today. He now has to live with loosing a friend killed in the crash and reliving the whole scene over and over. As of 4p today the Honda driver has not been located.

So glad he was found to be sober ( just heard this also ) with all he has to deal with the rest of his life!

red ben59

• 1K CVO Member
  • ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL
    • NC

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »

This is tragic. None of us is promised another day. But to lose friends and family to a IDIOT leaves no comfort. With all the traffic cameras in use I can't believe this SOB can't be found. Prayers are out for the families.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 09:22:34 AM »

Fled to mexico, go figure.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »

As a long time San Diego resident I can tell you that I've riden that piece of road on many occasions. It's nice out there this time of year, especially this year because we've had so much rain. It's truely unfortunate to see a wreck of this magnitude and the circumstances behind it. I hope the Honda driver will be found and brought to justice, It won't bring back those lost, but will certainly help the survivors deal with this disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to The Saddle Tramps MC and their families and friends.

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

As a long time San Diego resident I can tell you that I've riden that piece of road on many occasions. It's nice out there this time of year, especially this year because we've had so much rain. It's truely unfortunate to see a wreck of this magnitude and the circumstances behind it. I hope the Honda driver will be found and brought to justice, It won't bring back those lost, but will certainly help the survivors deal with this disaster. My thoughts and prayers go out to The Saddle Tramps MC and their families and friends.

_Beags

X2, and here is the latest from the media....http://www.pe.com/ap_news/California/US_Motorcycles_Crash_538429C.shtml

BADBAGG

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 O/B D& D Fat Cat , SE 259E Cams , High Compression Pistons , TTS Mastertune, Yaffe Monkeys bars , Yaffe Monkey engine guard , Kenwood DVD/CD radio 650 watts 7 speakers. C & C solo seat , Motorcycle Armor, Klock Werks 8" windsheild,30 tooth pulley
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 06:15:37 PM »

Please keep the info coming. I hope the driver of the Honda is found soon. My prayers go out to the families and friends to all that were involved in this horrible accident.....

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »

As the years pass, and I watch my riding skills erode with age and injury, I ponder incidents such as this. I'm not alone as I've gotten a couple of PM's from long time site friends contemplating hanging it up after seeing the images on TV and reading of this.
This is a motorcycle forum. As established, it is here for us to discuss issues regarding this thing we all love so much. I am saddened by the loss of a group of indivduals who gave much to the San Diego community and took little in return. My heart goes out to family members of lost loved ones and I cannot help but think of the man who will have to be told his wife is gone when he comes out of the induced coma he's in.
There are thousands of members on this forum. Is there anything each of us can learn from this ? How can we help each other avoid a similar fate ?  We can discuss the issue and listen to each who contributes a retelling of an experince they may have had that did not end in tragedy as this did.
I want to begin that discussion by saying that nothing I write here should be misconstrued or twisted around in any fashion that might suggest that this horrific incident was in any way the fault of the SaddleTramps. They are not a 1%er club in any way shape or form other than that some folks less schooled in flying colors might think theirs to be of the 1%er variety. They are not. They are a good bunch of folks. Beags and I 1st encountered them practically at their inception 10 years ago when they hosted a benefit for a local indy shop owner in need of a heart transplant. And throughout their history that is what they have done. The news reports even mentioned the amount of time and money they have donated to the Boys and Girls Clubs of San Diego. Good folks doing what they love exercising their freedom as Americans to express themselves in the fashion they choose. Not much else I can say there.
Moving along, what is the how and why of this. The why is that an impatient driver did not wish to continue to drive behind a small pack of motorcycles at below the posted speed. The how is that he passed that group in an illegal and as we have seen deadly manner. Could anything have been done by the riders to protect themselves here ? Perhaps, perhaps not. I am going to suggest a couple of things. A)  A dozen bikes riding two abreast with 8 ft between them as do patch clubs is taking up aprx the same distance as three autos driving one behind the other. So therein lies my 1st suggestion. Keep to groups small enough to allow for some idiot to pass you illegally or large enough that even the most bold and drunken would not attempt it.
B) Bikers riding "Parade Formation" unless they are of the 1%er outlaw variety will most often ride below the posted speed limit. Often by as much as 10mph. Fine and legal and prudent, especially as in this case the intent of the ride was a nice leasurely putt in celebration of 10 years of brotherhood. But nonetheless, an impetus for an impatient and perhaps drunken driver to get tired of being "stuck" behind the pack and attempt a pass. So my 2nd suggestion is that if you're going to ride in group formation like this, ride a few mph above the posted speed limit. Some might say "well that's illegal" Perhaps, but doubtful to me that a cop is going to pull over a dozen motorcycles going down the road at 70 in a 65 zone if they are all obviously in control and riding in proper fashion. C) Any ride of more than four vehicles should have an appointed Road Captain and an agreed upon set of hand signals that all recognize. In this case what could the RC have done. One hand straight up over the RC's head being waved fore and aft signaling single file as soon as it was noticed that a vehicle was attempting an illegal pass. All bikes fall in behind one another and move to the extreme right side of their lane, perhaps even slowing down quickly to allow the driver of the vehicle passing the opportunity to be done with his stupidity as soon as possible. In a fair world, the group encounters the driver of the vehicle at a gas stop somewhere down the road and explains to him/her the error of their ways but at the #1 thing you do while something wrong is going on is protect yourself. And lastly would be that riding parade formation at highway speeds is not prudent. There is nowhere for the rider closest to the lane divider to go with another bike to his/her right. As such, when riding in groups, rider should stagger the formation so each vehicle has ample room to move to the right if needed.
Would any of the above have prevented what happened ? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes an inch is a good as mile in a near miss. I recall one day long long ago in a group of 10 bikes on a blind corner in Maine, out of nowhere a Corvette lost control going into the corner coming at us and actually rounded the corner broadside to our group. Several of us went off the road into the woods to avoid the Vette and one guy was banged up a bit from sideswiping a tree as he did so. But, we all lived to tell the tale and the Vette itself was the recipient of numerous broken parts as the driver locked himself in while we prevented him from driving away. Not that the town Constable was pleased with any of us for that , but adrenelin creates such scenes.
In closing, I would say to those who have read the reports, watched the images on TV and questioned their own continued riding; before you make a decision like that, ask yourself if you have ever given any thought to being prepared for the eventuality of an act of wanton stupidity such as what caused this tragedy ? If your answer is no then maybe you should rethink how you ride rather than quit. If it is yes you have considered contingencies then by all means quit. There's no more dangerous a motorcycle rider than one who's afraid of riding. And above all else - - - - Vaya Con Dios

B B

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2010, 08:02:06 AM »

BB,

I agree with many of your suggestions but I can't imagine ever riding abreast at anything over 15-20 mph.  I guess I'm paranoid about having an escape rout available at all times but its kept me in one piece...so far.  

I read in one of the news articles that this group was riding staggered with 3-4 car lengths between them.  To me, this is the perfect interval for that speed and may be the reason why so many of the other riders in the group survived albeit with serious injuries to the ones who went down & off the pavement to avoid the car.  At a combined speed of 120 mph, you only have a fraction of a second to make a decision on evasive action or just do it instinctively.  I don't know how I would perform in a situation like this.  

I avoid riding in large groups but when I do, I pick a spot as far back as possible and leave as much room as possible.  I much prefer to ride in a group of 3-4 bikes but we (wife & I) ride solo lately.  I too sat in the garage last night and pondered what my life would be like if I gave riding up...I do this every time something like this happens.  Last time was when that Meth-head in the truck ran over that group at the stop light...again, not much they could have done on the riders part.

Our prayers are with the victims and their families & friends.  This tragedy has effected not only them but thousands of riders and non-riders who've read or seen this on the news.  

God bless,

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:42:32 AM by 61bbltop »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:20 AM »

lots of things about this to ponder. i have ridden truly solo and 2up with no other bikes around. i have ridden in groups both small and large. and as i make regular visits to a good friend of mine who after 1 month still hasn't been told when he will be allowed to bend his knee as part of his rehab ( or when they will let him go home ) who i think would agree he made a bad judgement call going around a vehicle waiting to take a left turn, almost lost part of his leg moving 15-20 mph. he doesn't think he will ever ride again and he owns 3 motorcycles. not really sure where i'm going with this, just rambling on here.... but we take a risk every time we walk out the front door of our house we all chose to make riding part of our lives the reason we do it are different for each of us but no matter how many close calls i have had with cagers who are doing everything but driving their vehicle while driving or close call because of a bad decision i have made, i just don't see me stopping riding.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »

Introspection and self evaluation are good things to center one's self and make important life decisions. But in the end, sometimes just "chit" happens. Planes, cars, motorcycles, icy sidewalks, etc., etc. Life is full of perils. Make the smartest choices you can but life isn't just existing, it's living.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »

For those in the SoCal area:
Join us for a blood drive to help survivors of the accident last weekend. Respects to: Saddle Tramps MC
Sad month for all of us.

From Facebook:
Time:   
Saturday, November 20 · 9:00am - 3:00pm

5600 Kearny Mesa Road
San Diego, CA

Created By:   
San Diego Harley-Davidson

More Info:   On behalf of the Saddle Tramp Motorcycle Club, Please join us for a Blood Drive with the American Red Cross.
HOGMIKE

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »

Join us for a blood drive to help survivors of the accident last weekend. Respects to: Saddle Tramps MC
Sad month for all of us.

From Facebook:
Time:   

5600 Kearny Mesa Road
San Diego, CA

Created By:   

More Info:   On behalf of the Saddle Tramp Motorcycle Club, Please join us for a Blood Drive with the American Red Cross.

Bringing this up to the top again so it stays in everyone's mind. Those in the San Diego, Riverside, Orange,Los Angeles and San Bernadino Counties, it's supposed to rain through the weekend, but don't let that stop you from donating blood at San Diego H-D for this most worthy cause and also in remembrance of fellow riders lost. We are all brothers and sisters of the road.

B B

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2010, 07:29:52 PM »

as sad as this incident is - let's learn. Use your mirrrors and train a signal to regroup in in single lane to let eventual idiots pass by - and never ever be slower as the mainstream. Riding faster than the cars is your way to safety.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

funewgy

So Cal Tragedy
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 06:21:52 PM »

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2010, 05:51:14 PM »

Sad month for all of us.

From Facebook:
Time:   

5600 Kearny Mesa Road
San Diego, CA

Created By:   

I went down to give blood in the early afternoon and even though it was a down pouring rain storm there was an overwhelming turn out of people for this event, while getting drenched I was glad to be part of it.     MAT

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2010, 07:32:04 PM »

Way to go Mat
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2010, 09:05:24 PM »

Dont know what to say !? F#@k!!! makes me mad.....
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2010, 12:02:00 AM »

Dont know what to say !? F#@k!!! makes me mad.....

I couldnt have said that any better.

My condolences to the Family and Friends of the Saddletramps MC.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »

I second Andy's "way to go Mat"!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 06:48:48 AM »

Probably never locate the cage driver, I wish I could feel he would get his later, but sounds like he got away with Murder!
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 11:32:29 AM »

Probably never locate the cage driver, I wish I could feel he would get his later, but sounds like he got away with Murder!

I cannot imagine somebody being responsible for these deaths and never ever speaking of it to anyone. The sad thing though is this. At this point with this driver not having come forward of their own accord, what would the charges be if they were caught. Illegal pass ? Leaving the scene ? No Law Enforcement witnessed this. The people involved do not have any concrete information regarding the individual. They can't really describe the vehicle or the driver beyond the most vague of descriptions. There's no damage to the vehicle. Legally speaking, I do not know how this person could be prosecuted unless their own conscience causes them to confess. From every account I've listened to, read of etc on the news, none of the people who survived this tragedy could identify this person in a police line-up; nobody can provide a dscription of the vehicle beyond color/Mfgr and nobody can provide a license plate number. It is bizarre beyond anything I've ever seen or heard of. All Law Enforcement has to go on is man in a baseball cap driving a yellow Honda passed a group of motorcycles in a no passing zone.
   We live in an age where we demand that people be held accountable for their actions. Stop and think how many times you've seen justice served by an individual wielding a video camera. I saw on the news recently that there are some 30,000 cameras mounted at various places on the highways of CA and monitored by CALTRANS. There are security cameras everywhere. We have a huge steel wall at our southern border. There are more law enforcement agencies in San Diego County than anywhere I can think of in the USA excepting Washington DC. And yet nobody can provide even a clue as to this person and this crime. It boggles the mind.

B B

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »

A sad event indeed...I can only trust that justice will be accomplished...in the meantime support is needed and Thank You to all that have provided and considered it for a fellow rider...

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »

Probably won't provide any satisfaction or ease the pain of the families but Karma will come around for that guy sooner or later. Some day he will answer to his maker.  My deepest condolances to all involved and families.

2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

he's probaly already in mexico

Randylee

• Full CVO Member
  • RN; USAF Medic ('97-present); USMC ('88-'92)

• CVO1: FXDFSE - Fat Bob (Black & Fire Quartz)
    • CVO2: aka 2002 Yamaha V-max (commuter bike)
    • CVO3: aka 2008 XL1200L (wife's Sportster)
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2011, 12:25:47 AM »

Hello all, as I read through the postings of this thread, a few people posted links to reports about this tragedy but apparently as time goes by these news links get taken down.   Currently, the link posted in REPLY #34 by funewgy is the only one still active.  Because I suspect that this link will also be taken down eventually, I cut and pasted it's article to this thread so that future readers here will be able to get the full context of everyone's comments.
     Sorry but I'll have to break it up into sections because I'm not allowed to post more than 600 characters at a time.  

The Saddletramps' fatal crash reconstructed
Interviews with survivors, witnesses and others tell the story behind the crash that killed four people and hurt five others
    By Steve Schmidt
     Friday, November 19, 2010 at 12:01 a.m.

Five people were killed and five others were seriously injured in a collision involving two cars and several motorcycles Saturday near Ocotillo. The driver accused of causing the crash left the scene.

Those who died:
          Anna Corral Gonzalez, 31, Mexicali, Mexico. An attorney for the state of Baja California.

Amy Heath, 36, Alpine. A hairdresser and mother of two boys.

Lance Heath, 43, Alpine. A father and married to Amy. Worked for a demolitions company.

George “Bill” Miller, 57, Ramona. Ran an aluminum gutter business.

Tonya Trayer, 37, Lakeside. Helped raise three children, active with the 4-H.

Zipping down a desert highway on his black Harley, his motorcycle buddies at his back, John Lombardo suddenly heard a crash of metal on metal. Chunks of handlebar and engine shot into the air, and something punched a hole in his shin.

Even as he sped ahead, the mayhem behind him, he briefly closed his eyes.

It seemed like the only thing to do. The crash was so explosive that he didn’t think he would survive.

Less than a week after that multivehicle accident in Imperial County, the 55-year-old Lakeside man is using a cane while his leg heals. He’s among the fortunate.

Four people with ties to the Saddletramps motorcycle club in Lakeside died in the tragedy Saturday on state Route 98, along with a woman from Mexicali, Mexico. Five others were seriously injured; they remained hospitalized Thursday at UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest.

Two memorial services are planned for this weekend, and several fundraising events are in the works to help the affected families.

Interviews with survivors, witnesses and others tell the story of a day that started out so well for so many people, only to end on a flat, straight, two-lane road near the U.S.-Mexico border.

A Mexicali couple headed west that morning. They were planning a weekend getaway in San Diego.

A band of experienced motorcyclists — workaday folk with families and businesses — bore east. These Saddletramps were celebrating their 10th anniversary.

Now they’re a badly shaken brotherhood. “I’m having a hard time with this,” Lombardo said. “At night, it’s worse.”

Moments after the accident, Lombardo found himself down the road from the crash. He was in no condition to help his friends, not with his injured leg. So he stayed put.

In a way, he thought, it was better not to see his buddies that way, not with all the blood and severed limbs. Better to remember them as they once were.

Bikers’ destination: Yuma
At 9 a.m. that Saturday, a row of shiny Harleys had lined up on the gravel outside Carl Smith’s house in Alpine. Smith, 52, is president of the Saddletramps.

They had helmets, saddlebags and a plan: They would spend several hours threading through the eastern backcountry, avoiding the freeway as much as possible, and wind up at a casino near Yuma for the night.

There was Smith. His club nickname is “Coyote.”

There was George “Bill” Miller, 57, of Ramona, who ran a business called A-Built Aluminum Gutters. The others called him “Bigfoot” because he was stocky.

There was Tonya Trayer 37, and her husband, Wilson, 39. The Lakeside couple raised chickens, rabbits and other animals and were active with the 4-H. They had been married for 14 years and raised three children — Amanda, 21, Sierra, 15, and Wilson, 13.

There were the Heaths, Amy and Lance of Alpine. They just celebrated their 15th wedding anniversary and had two boys, 13-year-old Garrett and 14-year-old Wyatt. Amy, 36, was a hairdresser. Lance, 43, worked for a demolitions company. His nickname was “Demo.”

About 9:30 a.m., the Heaths and the rest of the group headed out — 21 people on a dozen motorcycles, with Smith leading the pack.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:57:59 AM by Randylee »

Randylee

• Full CVO Member
  • RN; USAF Medic ('97-present); USMC ('88-'92)

• CVO1: FXDFSE - Fat Bob (Black & Fire Quartz)
    • CVO2: aka 2002 Yamaha V-max (commuter bike)
    • CVO3: aka 2008 XL1200L (wife's Sportster)
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2011, 12:31:21 AM »

continuation of The Saddletramps' fatal crash reconstructed
                     By Steve Schmidt

Tribute to a fallen friend
That same morning, Carlos Ramirez Bobadilla, 36, and his girlfriend, Anna Corral Gonzalez, 31, left their Mexicali home for a weekend along the San Diego coast.

Both worked for the state of Baja California — Gonzalez as an attorney, Ramirez as a computer systems expert.

The Saddletramps headed east and stopped in Dehesa, along a patch of road where a club member died a few years ago. He was riding alone when the accident happened.

The bikers waved in tribute, revved their engines and moved on, weaving through the mountains and passing through civic specks such as Pine Valley and Guatay. They got on Interstate 8 for a short stretch before turning southeast near Ocotillo to get on state Route 98.

They rode in a staggered formation, the front wheel of each long bike near the side of the bike in front.

It was a sunny 74 degrees and nearing 1 p.m. Their speedometers read about 65 mph. At that rate, they would be pulling up to the casino in an hour.

Then, whoosh.

The collision
A gold Honda Civic going in the same direction roared up from behind and slipped into the oncoming lane to pass the motorcycles.

It looked like a man behind the wheel. The driver, who wore a baseball cap, appeared to be alone.

Crazy fool, some of the bikers thought. What’s he doing trying to pass a pack of Harleys that stretched several car lengths?

The Civic kept barreling east in the oncoming lane — even as an oncoming white Dodge Avenger headed west in the same lane.

Ramirez was steering the Avenger. Gonzalez sat next to him, cradling a Chihuahua puppy in her lap.

The Civic appeared to pick up speed, forcing Ramirez to swerve onto the westbound shoulder. He tried to gain control of his fast-moving vehicle, but as he fought to straighten it out, it shot into the eastbound lane, through the middle of the motorcycle pack.

The first instinct for Smith, the club president, was to chase down the Civic. He saw its brake lights blink, and then it sped on.

Then his ears rang with the sound of metal on metal.

He looked in his right rearview mirror. He saw a motorcycle 20 feet in the air. It was on fire.

A chaotic scene
The other bikers scrambled in the chaos. Tom “Short Cut” Knight, near the rear of the pack, struggled to steer through a 100-foot-wide spread of oil, blood, molten metal and bodies.

The Avenger came to a halt near the middle of the highway.

Smith got off his bike and rushed to check several bodies for a pulse. George “Bill” Miller: nothing. Amy Heath: nothing. Lance Heath: nothing.

Tonya Trayer seemed to be breathing, so Smith tried cardiopulmonary resuscitation. She faded away.

It took several hours for the California Highway Patrol, paramedics, Life Flight crews and others to work through the wreckage. The most seriously injured victims ended up at UCSD Medical Center.

Ramirez and motorcyclist Kelly Halley, 42, of Santee were listed in good condition Thursday. Saddletramps member William Barnes, 57, of San Diego was in serious condition, while his wife, Melanie Barnes, 46, was listed as fair.

Wilson Trayer’s family has asked that his condition not be released, but a relative said Thursday that Trayer could be in a wheelchair for as long as a year.

The driver of the gold Honda Civic remains at large.

A surprise survivor
When Gonzalez’s body was pulled from the Avenger, hours after the crash, paramedics found the Chihuahua nestled in the dead woman’s arms.

The female puppy was alive. It hadn’t made a single sound while buried in the wreckage. No one had known it was there.

The dog was passed around the crash scene. One woman clung to the creature, finding comfort in its softness and fragility.

Then it was taken to an animal shelter, and Gonzalez’s family picked it up this week.

steve.schmidt@uniontrib.com (619) 293-1380 Twitter @SteveSchmidt1
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 01:59:35 AM by Randylee »

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »

In my heart I truly believe that somewhere the driver of the Civic is slowly deteriorating, perhaps numbing the memory of that day and the headlines that followed through drink or drug ; a little more, a little more each passing day. There are few true sociopaths on this earth, few people with no conscience whatsoever. Somewhere that man sits, unable to do anything except relive the moment he made the decision to pass the line of bikers.; relive the moment whether through impatience or want he needed to be past that line of bikers. The right side of his brain tries to convince himself he did nothing wrong, but the left side of his brain knows all too well his guilt and cupability in this. Somewhere a gold Honda Civic sits abandoned, perhaps hidden waiting to be uncovered. Waiting for it's forensic tale to be told. Somewhere the truth lies waiting for the right moment to expose itself. And we wait with it. We wait for the day when the final chapter of this story is told, when justice is served. And still we will never forget. Whether we knew the victims or not, each of us as, everytime we throw a leg over our motorcycles thinks of this happening. For myself I say a prayer asking God's mercy and protection for a good day and safe return. 37 years ago, I lost my cousin in a one vehicle accident while riding his motorcycle. I've never forgotten him nor will I ever. These people will not be forgotten either.

God's Blessings to those lost as well as those left behind to suffer their loss.

B B
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 21 queries.