Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Glide Ultra CVO Paint Flaws  (Read 3816 times)

mtbronco

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG Silver/Titanium
Road Glide Ultra CVO Paint Flaws
« on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:17 AM »

Two weeks ago I went in to pick up my Charcoal Slate / Black Twilight ride, finally after it sitting at dealership for over a month due to my work schedule and was horribly disgusted.  We were doing the walk around and found flaw after flaw in the paint.  First noticed was the tour pak, up by the latch, looked like something chewed on it, there were actual chunks missing from the edges, then looked under the tour pak and it was scratched everywhere, even had chips in the paint.  SO we decided to look over the bike with a fine tooth comb and it didn't get much better.  The inner front fairing on the glove box doors found more flaws.  The lower edges of the doors had missing paint areas and extremely rough edges.  The tank was so so, there were marks on the underside by the heads that we think will buff out.  The saddlebags also had scratches on the bottoms, which we are going to try and buff.  The front and rear fenders are ok as are the side covers.  HD is going to replace the entire tour pak and parts and inner fairing but we are going back and forth on the rest.  The only parts that didn't have flaws was the fairing and side covers.  So then I get a call last Thursday that my wifes Rio Red / Black Ember RG CVO came in, first thing I said is not to open it up till I am there so I can go over this one also.  Well I head up to the dealership and we unbox it together and begin to go over it.  WOW, where to begin, first thing we see is a huge rub mark on the front fairing right above the headlights, about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.  It's a hard rub mark but going to see if we can buff or its getting replaced.  Look down at front fender, one can see 'silver' overspray paint mixed in with the red, bummer.  Move to tank, there are two marks of where something rubbed right through clear coat, needs replaced.  Side covers, they look good.  Saddlebags, the undersides look like someone used them for bowling balls down the lane, the undersides are scratched and showing paint flaws everywhere, needs replaced.  The rear fender, looks good.  The tour pak, almost as bad as mine, right up by the latch, there is damage and the underside has chips there also.  WTF, does HD have some quality issues.  These are the first two RG CVO's of the year so it's hard to say what the problem is.  I haven't really looked that close at some other RG CVO's I have seen in other HD shops.  The dealership is having their rep go over them and complain to get parts replaced but one would think that if you spend 36K PER BIKE they better be great!!!  These are the 7th and 8th HDs purchased in just over 6 years and 3rd and 4th CVOs and only one other bike had any flaws.  I am quite upset with HD and am going to do my own complaint to them once we hear back to the fixes they are going to do.  Anyone else have any issues with their new CVO's??

Pics........ was suggested that no pics be shown till HD rep looks over both bikes.        :oops:      :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(   

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Road Glide Ultra CVO Paint Flaws
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:02 AM »

Two weeks ago I went in to pick up my Charcoal Slate / Black Twilight ride, finally after it sitting at dealership for over a month due to my work schedule and was horribly disgusted.  We were doing the walk around and found flaw after flaw in the paint.  First noticed was the tour pak, up by the latch, looked like something chewed on it, there were actual chunks missing from the edges, then looked under the tour pak and it was scratched everywhere, even had chips in the paint.  SO we decided to look over the bike with a fine tooth comb and it didn't get much better.  The inner front fairing on the glove box doors found more flaws.  The lower edges of the doors had missing paint areas and extremely rough edges.  The tank was so so, there were marks on the underside by the heads that we think will buff out.  The saddlebags also had scratches on the bottoms, which we are going to try and buff.  The front and rear fenders are ok as are the side covers.  HD is going to replace the entire tour pak and parts and inner fairing but we are going back and forth on the rest.  The only parts that didn't have flaws was the fairing and side covers.  So then I get a call last Thursday that my wifes Rio Red / Black Ember RG CVO came in, first thing I said is not to open it up till I am there so I can go over this one also.  Well I head up to the dealership and we unbox it together and begin to go over it.  WOW, where to begin, first thing we see is a huge rub mark on the front fairing right above the headlights, about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.  It's a hard rub mark but going to see if we can buff or its getting replaced.  Look down at front fender, one can see 'silver' overspray paint mixed in with the red, bummer.  Move to tank, there are two marks of where something rubbed right through clear coat, needs replaced.  Side covers, they look good.  Saddlebags, the undersides look like someone used them for bowling balls down the lane, the undersides are scratched and showing paint flaws everywhere, needs replaced.  The rear fender, looks good.  The tour pak, almost as bad as mine, right up by the latch, there is damage and the underside has chips there also.  WTF, does HD have some quality issues.  These are the first two RG CVO's of the year so it's hard to say what the problem is.  I haven't really looked that close at some other RG CVO's I have seen in other HD shops.  The dealership is having their rep go over them and complain to get parts replaced but one would think that if you spend 36K PER BIKE they better be great!!!  These are the 7th and 8th HDs purchased in just over 6 years and 3rd and 4th CVOs and only one other bike had any flaws.  I am quite upset with HD and am going to do my own complaint to them once we hear back to the fixes they are going to do.  Anyone else have any issues with their new CVO's??

Pics........ was suggested that no pics be shown till HD rep looks over both bikes.        :oops:      :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(   

I feel for you!
Good luck on the outcome.

Can I ask about,
Pics........ was suggested that no pics be shown till HD rep looks over both bikes.
What was the rationale or thought process that went into that decision by your dealer?

:nixweiss:               :nixweiss:                  :nixweiss:                 :nixweiss:               :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

mtbronco

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:12:41 AM »

Thanks, just hard to believe two brand new bikes to same dealership to same couple and all these problems, so far the motor starts and runs.........  will have to post the outcomes from HD........

mtbronco

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 11:14:27 AM »

oh on the pics, the rep wants to discuss with HD and others and we feel he doesn't want to alert the future owners of CVO's to potential problems. 

cwright2

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:33 PM »

my inner faring was all scratched up also. my keys did not fit my saddlebags. so make sure your keys that all of your locks. my dealer says the only check the ignition, They all supposed to come in sets.   He said If mine don't fit someone else's don't fit.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:22:10 PM »

No paint problems at all.  In fact the paint, fit and finish on my grey ghost in better than other harleys I've had.

Sorry for your problems.  I know the dealer and the moco will take care of it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:20 PM »

Had two issues on mine.  There were some major scratches on the inner fairing that were hidden by the tach/speedo module until you turned the bars to the left stop, then you could see them.  Also, I had what looked like to water spot rings that were under the clear coat on the top right side of the fuel tank.  Dealer ordered new inner fairing and fuel tank, both are at the dealer waiting for a nice day for me to get the bike down there to have them installed.  No questions asked and no offer to attempt to send out and re-paint.  Of course I told them that was not an option, that I would accept only replaced parts. Other than that I couldn't find any other paint issues.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CVOcharlie

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »

I also have problems with paint on the inner fairing, dirt under the paint to the right of the radio. The new fairing is at the dealers, waiting until the weather warms up to get it replaced.

Tweet

• Tweet
  • 1K CVO Member
    • WY

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:56 PM »

I thought I was the only one!  My bike came in almost 3 weeks ago and it is still at the dealer.  Inoperative heated grips/seat (keeps blowing the fuse) and a pretty significant rub mark on the fairing right above the headlights.  They suspect the left grip has the short in it and will replace it, but I am told the grips are on backorder with HD.  The bike was filthy when I first looked at it so I gave up on the inspection until the grips and seat work.  I would expect a red carpet complete with rose petals if I had purchased 2 CVOs from the dealer!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:00:56 PM »

I thought I was the only one!  My bike came in almost 3 weeks ago and it is still at the dealer.  Inoperative heated grips/seat (keeps blowing the fuse) and a pretty significant rub mark on the fairing right above the headlights.  They suspect the left grip has the short in it and will replace it, but I am told the grips are on backorder with HD.  The bike was filthy when I first looked at it so I gave up on the inspection until the grips and seat work.  I would expect a red carpet complete with rose petals if I had purchased 2 CVOs from the dealer!

Tweet,
         Your post would be funny if it weren't so sad. I've bought four CVO's from San Diego H-D plus one new  non CVO and one used non CVO since 2000 and they chased me out of the place the last time I tried to talk deal with them. We're all supposed to feel special that H-D "ALLOWS" us to purchase one of their mediocre products.

B B
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:46:22 PM by BESERKER »

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 10:47:38 PM »

My front fairing and piece below it had to be replaced due to paint flaws.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

mtbronco

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:31:04 PM »

My dealer is great, one of the best I have ever dealt with, he treats all buyers / riders with utmost respect.  He just bought another store and I have some friends that live in that town and they can't say enough about him since I introduced them all.  I have been the local HOG chapter director for two years a few years back and still active in different positions, he knows I'm upset and the service manager knows my feelings about the rides and is doing everything to replace all the parts with marks and damage.  I work out of town most of the time and its already been a long winter so I know when I want them they will be fixed.  I am surprised to hear how many others had problems with their new CVOs - is HD having QC issues....... I wonder.........

icufltrn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 fltruse
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 11:11:01 AM »

I am waiting for a new lid for my right saddlebag. There is a 1/2 scratch that I wouldn't have noticed but it was pointed out by the dealer at delivery. Haven't pushed getting it yet since I noticed I have kicked the bag a few times on dismount. Figured I'd get used to getting on and off without hitting it then get the new lid..

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.