Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Pull Back Bars  (Read 5750 times)

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 Rio Red FLTRUSE (Sold)
    • CVO2: 15 Autumn Haze and Carbon Dust FLTRUSE
Pull Back Bars
« on: December 24, 2010, 09:27:11 AM »

Does anybody know if there are any pull back bars for this bike that support the heated grips.  They are just a little too faraway and it is killing my back. My local dealer is "looking into it," but it has been over a week.  My chiropractor says I have to do something.

DOOFUS

Re: Pull Back Bars
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »

I have had great luck with Chubby 515 on 2 FLTR - and indeed it looks like I need to do them on the SERG too.  Here is the link to the Wild 1 site that shows the pics of the 515 on my 04 FLTR http://www.wild1inc.com/wo515b.html

Your brake line shld be ok but you may require a longer clutch cable.  And don't forget - ONLY an HD dealer can re-connect your ABS.  Let me know how it works for you, DOOFUS
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:36:18 PM by DOOFUS »

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 11:54:27 AM »

Looks good.  Do they support heated grips?

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »

Yes they will support your heated grips although you may need to buy wire extensions for the grips.  I chose WO 517s and they pull much further back than your stock bars.  I put them on my 09 SERG for the same reason you need more pullback but they were too far back for me...excellent for highway but a little too far back for twisties.  They might be just the ticket for you though.

The WO 515s don't pull as far back but they have more rise to them.  This would allow you to roll them back to get them closer to you. 

It'd be nice to check out a SERG with both but that's not easy with the rarity of these bikes.

Here is a couple pics of my 517s, one from the side and another from the back.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 02:55:58 PM »

WO 517s from the back

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 02:58:49 PM »

Here is another site member (Crusty) with WO 515s...they are kind of like a mid-ape type bar.

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 05:37:38 PM »

Beemer, thanks for the info and the pics.  It really helps.  I am 5'8" but have short arms. Do you think that the 517 would be too far back for me?  There are a lot of nice twisties here in the mountains.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »

I have a friend in Ohio that put Beach Bars on his, a little hard to get used to but once you do he loves them.  I will see If I can get a picture.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

DOOFUS

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Looks good.  Do they support heated grips?

Sure do.  And, The Wild 1 site has all the bar measurement info too -- so IMHO be sure to measure your needs.  You'll love the difference.  DOOFUS

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »

I have the WO 517's on mine.  At first I really hated them and was very uncomfortable with them.  Then one day they clicked and felt right.  The only issue I see with them is on a tight turn you loose leverage and have to be very careful.

The factory brake and clutch lines will work and if you install Heat Demons they will have to be reamed out.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »

Beemer, thanks for the info and the pics.  It really helps.  I am 5'8" but have short arms. Do you think that the 517 would be too far back for me?  There are a lot of nice twisties here in the mountains.

At 5' 8" and short arms the 517s should be perfect for you.

As Charles says above, if you want Heat Demon heated grips, you'll have to ream out the right bar to 7/8s inside diameter.  I did that but wasn't satisfied with the Demons performance.  They took too long to warm up, were a PITA to install and I don't like the fact that they have to heat through the handlebar and grip to get to your hands...they tend to lose a lot of energy (heat) getting there.  I also don't like the fact that your plastic electronic throttle receives direct heat from the metal heater and soaks up the most heat of any part.  Plastic tends to degrade from intense heat.

I went with the factory heated grips installed by my dealer.  Yup, you hear a lot of bad press on this site and other forums but as was stated by others, you only hear about the ones that go bad!  I put a set on my Road King in germany and put 20K without any problems with the grips.  Plus, the heater elements are in the grip so they're more efficient than the demons.   Also, since the dealer is doing the install...they're covered by warranty :2vrolijk_21:

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »

I have to agree with Beemer on the Heat Demons.  After hearing raves about them I had them installed with my new bars.  I have found them useless.  Like mentioned before, too long to heat up, not hot enough, and direct contact with the TBW assembly.  I don't know if the issue with the Heat Demons might be due to a f**ked up install by the dealer.  They did not listen to what I told them about having to ream the bars first.

BTW, I am 5'9", 210 lbs, and 32" inseam.  I found the OEM bars pulled me forward about 6" and it became uncomfortable after an hour or so.

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »

Will I have to get the bars teamed out if I use the Harley grips.  This bike came with the heated grips.  Never thought I would like them but I do.  Having had a Classec with hands behind the fairing I could wear lighter gloves even on cold days.  On the RG my hands are outside the fairing and the heated grips come in handy.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »

Will I have to get the bars teamed out if I use the Harley grips.  This bike came with the heated grips.  Never thought I would like them but I do.  Having had a Classec with hands behind the fairing I could wear lighter gloves even on cold days.  On the RG my hands are outside the fairing and the heated grips come in handy.

No, you won't have to ream out the bars for your stock heated grips.  You may need to have the wires extended just a little bit but your dealer should be able to do this.

Winhawk

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »

Thanks Beemer ;D

Ordered the bars today.  Should have mod done by Saturday.  Hopefully it will ease the back strain.

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »

Was gonna say.. be careful to make sure they work. I just upgraded to the Yaffy OEM Monkey Bars for my FLTRUSE. It was an extremely tight fit according to the tech at my dealer. You have to take into account;

Fly by Wire
Heated Grips
Control Wiring
GPS Wiring and
Hydraulic Cabling can be a concern too.

Good Luck,
DesertHOG

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 12:01:46 PM »

If you ever pull the wiring out of the bars...for any reason, I suggest you cut off the original HD black/shiny wire sheathing and replace it with heat-shrink.  It is as strong if not more than the original and gives you all kinds extra of room to run either the stock HD heated grip wires or the Heat Demons. 
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.