Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 11 SERG - larger boy "required" mods  (Read 6205 times)

DOOFUS

11 SERG - larger boy "required" mods
« on: December 24, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »

Question first - has someone on here already compiled a collection of mods that help "larger/longer" frame riders?  If so, please point me.  I'm a dainty 6'3" and 235 so this lowered FLTRUSE is saweet but will require some comfort mods.   Here are my initial needs for comfort:

1.  LOWERED ISSUES:
The 11 SERG is obviously lowered. My knee caps are higher than the fairing boxes so I'm "cramped".
POSSIBLE SOLUTION:  I'll try installing my HARTCO seat first.  But I'm betting that will put me further away from the bars.
*** UPDATE: I put my HARTCO Pro Tour on today that I had on the FLHTK - IT FITS !!  Of course big difference in leg position = comfort for me.  Once the snow melts later this week I will confirm with a ride.
YES HARTCO = my leg comfort is perfecto and my foot control is right where I want it.  So glad the HARTCO from my 2010 worked. I'll pot pix soon.

2.  SHORT WINDSHIELD:
Probably only worsened by the lowering.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I see no problem with getting a higher shield. Clearview I'm betting.
HARTCO HIGHER = a bit more wind
SOLUTION ORDERED = 2 inch higher Clearview.

3.  DIFFICULTY WITH FOOT CONTROLS:
Likely also associated with lowering.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION.  What the seat won't correct - I may have to look at lowering the boards but that is a concern for safety.
SOLVED BY HARTCO:

4.  HANDLEBAR POSITION AND COUNTERSTEERING:
I prefer pushing "forward" on bars rather than "down" on bars.
PROVEN SOLUTION:  Wild 1 Chubbby 515 - had them on 2 other FLTR - love em. Here are the pix of my 04 FLTR on the Wild 1 site:
http://www.wild1inc.com/wo515b.html
UPDATE:  I'm looking at the likely possibility I'll need to put on Wild1 Chubby 513 to give me more rise & pullback -- but - methinx the HD GPS mount will not work on the 1.5 bars -- that HD mount looks curved to fit on the 1 inch stock bars on the CVO.  Opinions?  AND - HAS ANYONE ELSE INSTALLED WILD1 ON YOUR 11 SERG??

5.  FORWARD LIGHTING:
I prefer brighter and more lights.
PROVEN SOLUTION 1:  I enjoy the PIAA H4 Extreme White to replace the HD stock headlight bulbs.
PROVEN SOLUTION 2:  I also like having some amber lights to use especially when I'm on 2 lane country roads = Motolight 50 watt ambers.

Other solutions and recommendations MOST WELCOME -- thnx, DOOFUS
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:52:16 PM by DOOFUS »

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: 11 SERG - larger boy "required" mods
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

I see you are wasteing no time getting started on the mods!! Have fun!
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2010, 03:05:05 PM »

Kuryakyn has brackets that move your floorboards out one inch and forward one inch.  That'll help a little.  You'll need to get a seat or mod yours to place you further back in the saddle and maybe raise you up an inch oe so. 

That, in combination with moving your boards out and forward with the WO 515s should do the trick.

DOOFUS

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2010, 07:20:30 PM »

Kuryakyn has brackets that move your floorboards out one inch and forward one inch.  That'll help a little.  You'll need to get a seat or mod yours to place you further back in the saddle and maybe raise you up an inch oe so. 

That, in combination with moving your boards out and forward with the WO 515s should do the trick.

Yup. I have my HARTCO from the 2010 FLHTK so I will see if that fits.  If not, Mark will be happy to make me my 7th seat!!!!  LOL

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »

At 6'4" and 220 lbs. on a 2010 SESG (same as the 11 SESG for this conversation) I can tell you what I've done.  Corbin Classic Solo (with Touring Passenger Pillion if you ride two up) will move you back a couple inches.  I also have the HD Touring Pullbacks....they're 2" up and 2" back.

The HD website or catalog will tell you that you'll need to change brake lines, and that they're polished stainless steel.  Both are not true.....they're chrome plated and none of us that have made the change had to change any cables or wiring.

Or you can just click on this link for 46 pages of all the photos and comments you'll need for any mod you have in mind.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.0  **Note the first pic......my wife will tell you that you may need a case of 5 Hour Energy to help you through this 46 pages. ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 09:52:19 PM »

Almost forgot the 8" dark tint Windvest windshield  #61-8040..........   http://www.windvest.com/products/products.html
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DOOFUS

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2010, 09:24:31 AM »

At 6'4" and 220 lbs. on a 2010 SESG (same as the 11 SESG for this conversation) I can tell you what I've done.  Corbin Classic Solo (with Touring Passenger Pillion if you ride two up) will move you back a couple inches.  I also have the HD Touring Pullbacks....they're 2" up and 2" back.

The HD website or catalog will tell you that you'll need to change brake lines, and that they're polished stainless steel.  Both are not true.....they're chrome plated and none of us that have made the change had to change any cables or wiring.

Or you can just click on this link for 46 pages of all the photos and comments you'll need for any mod you have in mind.....   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40248.0  **Note the first pic......my wife will tell you that you may need a case of 5 Hour Energy to help you through this 46 pages. ;D

U R THE MAN !  Will do.  Are those 46 pages for "large boy" mods or all mods???  Will take a look -- many thnx,

RoadGliderX70

• This Space For Lease

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - Rio Red/Black Ember
    • Advanced Automotive - SW Florida's FULL SERVICE Speed Shop!
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »

I like the HarleyGoodies footboard extenders, which move the footboards out about 1" (I'm 6'3" and it makes a HUGE difference in comfort!).. had them on my 07 RG, and they're already on the way for my '11.
2011 FLTRUSE - Rio Red/Black Ember

(gone but not forgotten)
2001 FLTRSEI2 - Sinister Blue
2007 FLTR - Mirage Orange Pearl

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »

U R THE MAN !  Will do.  Are those 46 pages for "large boy" mods or all mods???  Will take a look -- many thnx,

Those are all the mods that are on my 2010 SESG.

Oh yea, and the EZ Brake extended shifter rods are worth their weight in gold if you wear a size 11 or larger!  http://www.heelguard.com/ez_products.asp

West Coast GTG   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 12:41:07 AM »

Doofus I believe you are mistaken that the 11 SERGU is lowered?  There is only .3 inch difference between the SE Roadglide and the SE Ultra and the SE Roadglide seat is taller than a standard Ultra as well.    Please see the spec sheets below.  Also note all have the same ground clearances of 5.1 inches  Looks like the type of seat they each have determines the height difference  :nixweiss:

Light Choices:  Might look at xtralight or Xenonlink they seem to be the front runners atm for SERG's.

Friend is playing with a Clearview Shields atm.  Stock if measured by Clearviews numbers is 12"  Greg has the 14 and is liking it and he is about 6'4.   They also have some discounts in vendor section.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 01:11:15 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:08:38 AM »

SE Ultra 2011
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »

2011 Ultra Classic

DOOFUS

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 08:33:44 AM »

Copy.  I was comparing to my 08 FLTR and my 2010 FLHTK.  The 11 SERG is definitely lower than those 2.  But I will find a way to make it work. Thnx, DOOFUS

Doofus I believe you are mistaken that the 11 SERGU is lowered?  There is only .3 inch difference between the SE Roadglide and the SE Ultra and the SE Roadglide seat is taller than a standard Ultra as well.    Please see the spec sheets below.  Also note all have the same ground clearances of 5.1 inches  Looks like the type of seat they each have determines the height difference  :nixweiss:

Light Choices:  Might look at xtralight or Xenonlink they seem to be the front runners atm for SERG's.

Friend is playing with a Clearview Shields atm.  Stock if measured by Clearviews numbers is 12"  Greg has the 14 and is liking it and he is about 6'4.   They also have some discounts in vendor section.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 10:53:41 AM »

Doofus,

Looks like the "seat" you choose is going to be the answer.   The 10 FLHTK was 31.7 and the 08 RK was 29.9.  What is really odd is this years FLHTK is much lower than the 2010 with the new seat at 27.3.  They all have the same ground clearance and rake.  Good Luck on the fitment please let us know what you find as this has been a challenge in the past for myself as well especially on my 09 never did find a seat that worked. 

DOOFUS

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »

Doofus,

Looks like the "seat" you choose is going to be the answer.   The 10 FLHTK was 31.7 and the 08 RK was 29.9.  What is really odd is this years FLHTK is much lower than the 2010 with the new seat at 27.3.  They all have the same ground clearance and rake.  Good Luck on the fitment please let us know what you find as this has been a challenge in the past for myself as well especially on my 09 never did find a seat that worked. 

I did get the Hartco to fit yesterday.  So far, in the garage, it feels MUCH better and my leg room is greatly improved. Fingers crossed, I hope to get out on FRI and will provide feedback.   Thnx, DOOFUS

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »

For your floor boards, I put the extentions on from harley goodies,(size 13 boot) they work well but more chances of hitting the floor boards in a turn.(I have) I am trying something different and taking off the extentions and going to a toe shifter only. (took off the heel) Just some food for thought. 

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 07:07:45 AM »

That heel shifter is the first thing that comes off the bike and gets tossed in the tool box!  Hate' em!

DOOFUS

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »

Here I am on my HARTCO pro tour -- notice my hip bone is just a bit higher than my knee -- that is the most comfortable for me.  Also, my foot control is right where I like it - and - I dont feel cramped up like I did with the stock seat.

DOOFUS

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »

I'm looking at the likely possibility I'll need to put on Wild1 Chubby 513 to give me more rise & pullback -- but - methinx the HD GPS mount will not work on the 1.5 bars -- that HD mount looks curved to fit on the 1 inch stock bars on the CVO.  Opinions?  AND - HAS ANYONE ELSE INSTALLED WILD1 ON YOUR 11 SERG??
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 22 queries.