Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: LED's on the ConV - Headlight, Tail & Turn Signal  (Read 23333 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: LED's on the ConV - Headlight, Tail & Turn Signal
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »

Well I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get a HID ballast in that small 5 3/4" nacelle on the ConV. I was also concerned about how HID's need a second to come to full brightness especially given there are occasions where a second is all you have to react in a tight squeeze. Then I saw this and it was the perfect solution. This is no LED bulb on a string - once you see the module you will see where your money goes. It is a solid well engineered piece with a big heat sink and multiple polished lenses. Sure the price may come down in time as these become more mainstream but for the added safety and visibility it is money well spent IMHO. Geez, I have spent more on chrome that did nothing to increase the odds I get home in one piece.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »

I agree.  I still have a set of pipes for the heritage that have 1 month of use....price?  $700.  what did they do for the safety of the bike and rider???  Zip!  I thought the light was more like $500+ but if it is $400 and is easily installed and doesn't involve soldering and splicing wiring together and the help of an HD tech...........I'm in.  Pork.  Now, does that light fit inside the stock fairing??????

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:11:21 AM »

Pork,

It literally takes 5 minutes to install, no different than changing the headlight bulb. The part # is 73273-11 and it lists for $399.95 (subtract the 20% from one of the on-line discount dealers and it's only $320). The larger 7" version does cost more. As to fitting with the windshield, it fits in the stock headlight housing so no worries there.

One thing I did notice about the light output that I like is not just the quantity but the quality. Anyone who has switched to HID's will know that it's not just more light but where and how it throws it that makes them special. There is a dark twitchy piece of road along one of my favorite local runs that is under construction. It has lanes shifting over and back again and lots of steel grate and cracks that are patched with tar. It used to be hard to distinguish where you needed to be and all those shiny tar patches in the crack repairs made the surface conditions hard to judge (it's right by the ocean and damp more often than not).  So that is the first place I rode after installing the light to see how it did on a tough road. The improvement in visibility was so much better that I never thought about the $$ again.

Look it's not a miracle light just an alternative to HID's for those that want a much brighter, whiter and more focused light that draws less power is really simple to install. There are a few very minor downsides. Besides the cost it's heavy and that weight is all at the front of the headlight. On the ConV the nacelle is soft mounted so when you are at idle that weight hanging out in front shows up as slight jitter at the stoplights but disappears once you are rolling. It's no big deal but worth mentioning. Also, it's not a "traditional" HD look so some may mistake you for a non HD when you are coming at them. If you care about not getting an occasional wave from a fellow rider that will only give the nod to another HD, then stick with a traditional light.
For me I have seen the :sunny: light and there's no going back to the dark side.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 10:43:32 AM »

We don't ride much at night but wifey has gotten complaints from other lady riders  :gossip:  complaining that they can't she her headlight in their mirrors so now I need to fix it :furious:

Next time you're out riding with your buddies, find out how it looks to them if you don't mind tailgunning for a bit.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:49:39 AM »

Gamma,

Honestly I am more worried about the really bright LED's in the turn and brake lights. The headlight has a very specific cutoff and if it is aimed correctly will not bother other riders which has been the case with me so far (I have had it in for a few months now). The bright turn signals however are pointed higher as they are meant to bee seen by other drivers and I think they will be more annoying than the headlight. I'll report back the next time I am out with the boys but given the NY road conditions and more snow on the way this weekend it may be some time before the verdict is in.

MikeV

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:01:27 PM »

Mike, just watched that video and the light may not be a miracle but it sure seems amazing.  Even much more than when I switched from the stock bulbe and went to the PIAA 4 bulb.  Like night and day difference.  and though this bulb is many more times the price of the PIAA bulb, it seems it may be worth it.  thanks for the info.   Pork

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:51:04 PM »

MikeV,

Thanks for the info and pics. I am thinking hard about the headlight now. What are the parts name and numbers for your front and rear turn signal lights?

I agree with you on spending that much on chrome alone...lol...it is a HD. We have to find something to spend money on! Might as well be safety!

Kisscorky
Live To Win!

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:54 AM »

MikeV
What are the parts name and numbers for your front and rear turn signal lights?

Etudguy

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 08:19:19 PM »

Sorry for the delay in posting the part numbers guys as it has been another one of those weeks... Here is the link to the page on the Custom Dynamics site with the turn signal kits. When you order call them and make sure you let them know it is for the CVO Convertible as the connectors and the load equalizer are specific to that bike. I waited all summer for them to finish the load equalizer that worked with the alarm system and it works perfectly.

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley_turn_signal_retro.htm

MikeV

etudeguy

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »

MikeV
Thanks for info on the LED front and rear turn signals.  I'll contact Custom Dynamics tomorrow.

I did purchase and installed the HD headlight and it is really amazing. The cost is high but I think it is worth it for the safety factor.  The housing doesn't quite fit the larger headlight so there is almost a quarter inch gap underneath the headlight. I see in your photo the same gap.

Thanks for all of your info that you've posted, it is very helpful.

Etudeguy

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

Yeah that gap bothered me and I cranked it down as much as I dared and could not get it closed. I plan to trim up a small piece of hard rubber and use it as a grommet to fill the gap.

MikeV

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2011, 12:56:53 PM »

Well after reading all this I decided this is something I must have, ordered the headlight and turnsignal kit.  :)  Now I wait. :bananarock: Thanks for all the info.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 03:47:47 PM »

Well after reading all this I decided this is something I must have, ordered the headlight and turnsignal kit.  :)  Now I wait. :bananarock: Thanks for all the info.

Well that wait is the easy part compared to the wait to get out and test out the new lights. Waaay too much winter here in Long Island to even think about getting out even for a short blast. Sand, salt and ice against my chrome and nice paint with no hope for a wash until spring? No way Jose!

MikeV

RidgecrestCVO

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2011, 04:52:43 PM »

LED from Custom Dynamics due for delivery today,  :orange: unfortunately I have to work late tonight so I'll see them tomorrow.  :( Haven't heard anything on my headlight yet. :confused5:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »

Don't you hate it when that happens?  My guess it will be a late night for you... :-)

By the way when you get to the "training" section for the load equalizer you have to blink it back and forth 3 times - don't worry if it does not take after 3 - do it 7-10 times and it will work (it makes more sense when you read the instructions.)

MikeV
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.