Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: YES - REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULBS FROM FRONT???  (Read 11019 times)

DOOFUS

YES - REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULBS FROM FRONT???
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

Is it true we can replace headlight bulbs from the front on the 11 SERG -- no need to remove fairing??? I dont have the maint manual yet -- thnx in advance, DOOFUS
UPDATE:  Well, yes.  On page 197 of the owners manual it details how to replace bulbs WITHOUT removing the fairing !!!  HA-LAY-LU-YA !!!  Finally!!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 06:09:25 PM by DOOFUS »

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
Re: REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULBS FROM FRONT???
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:45:45 PM »

i know i had to on my 07 Road Glide, doubt it if it's any different?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: YES - REPLACE HEADLIGHT BULBS FROM FRONT???
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 07:30:50 PM »

let us know if that advise is real                 
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

DOOFUS

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 08:08:15 PM »

My PIAA H4 are on the way this week -- I'll see if page 197 in the manual speaks the truth !!!

let us know if that advise is real                 

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:58:22 PM »

i just took my fairing off to do the bulbs.. didnt look like it was possible.. let alone prying off the bezel
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

DOOFUS

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 07:39:23 AM »

i just took my fairing off to do the bulbs.. didnt look like it was possible.. let alone prying off the bezel

Did u look at page 197 in the OM?? DOOFUS

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »

I saw the page saying it can be done. It also tells you to (pry lightly) to get bezel out.. It looks easer to take off fairing. done in ten minutes, and I didnt have to (pry lightly) on anything..
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »

I will tell you this as a previous Road Glide owner, and this goes for all that are 1st timers on a Road Glide.  If you must remove the fairing, plan it wisely.  In other words, change your speakers bulbs, amp.....or whatever at the same time.  If HD was smart, they would have molded some sort of brass or stainless steel threaded fitting in the fairing.  If you remove that sucker too many times, eventually you will losen up the threading and have a difficult time getting a tight fit.  The black weather strips will start to peel back at prolonged highway speeds.  I have had mine off so many times for stupid chit that eventually i had to use a bigger screw to get a tight fit, and eventually i had to fill the holes with hard plastic filler and re-tap them.  I don't know if they changed the design since 2007, but i thought i would offer this advise?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

DOOFUS

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »

You are braver and smarter than this DOOFUS -- go forth my friend -- you have the midas touch --

I saw the page saying it can be done. It also tells you to (pry lightly) to get bezel out.. It looks easer to take off fairing. done in ten minutes, and I didnt have to (pry lightly) on anything..

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

I will tell you this as a previous Road Glide owner, and this goes for all that are 1st timers on a Road Glide.  If you must remove the fairing, plan it wisely.  In other words, change your speakers bulbs, amp.....or whatever at the same time.  If HD was smart, they would have molded some sort of brass or stainless steel threaded fitting in the fairing.  If you remove that sucker too many times, eventually you will losen up the threading and have a difficult time getting a tight fit.  The black weather strips will start to peel back at prolonged highway speeds.  I have had mine off so many times for stupid chit that eventually i had to use a bigger screw to get a tight fit, and eventually i had to fill the holes with hard plastic filler and re-tap them.  I don't know if they changed the design since 2007, but i thought i would offer this advise?

I would rather have a root canal then try to get that fairing back in place
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

That is what torque specification's are for....... :coolblue:
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 09:32:46 PM »

A little dish soap on the screws helps i have had my fairing off not less than 10 times in a couple of months no problems less than a drop
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

The main reason getting the fairing back on is a PIA is that HD doesn't stow the wires properly.  To fix this, you need to cut all the wire ties and unplug many of the connectors to reroute them out of the way.

Once you've done this, untangle what wire bundles you can and start with the largest bundles first.  There is an indentation/cavity just aft of the fairing hooks...this is where the two main wire bundles should tuck away.  You can also fit in some of the smaller ones as well.  The idea here is to go slow and be as neat as you can.  

#1 rule in aircraft wiring/tubing etc...it bodes well for any vehicle

EVERY WIRE SHOULD BE TIED DOWN SO THERE IS NO ROOM TO FLEX.  If it flexes, it will eventually chafe through or break from constant moving back and forth.

Once all is tied back out of the way, the fairing is much easier to get the hooks engaged.  

I would never try to remove the light surround for fear of chipping the paint.

P.S.

If you strip out any of the fairing mount screws, just clean out the hole with MEK on a q-tip...mix up a small amount of JB Weld and use a toothpik to swath the hole around the sides first and then fill it.  Then spray the screw with a parting agent like WD-40 and install the screw using a twisting back and forth movement to make sure the JB Weld fills the threads.  Use masking tape to hold the screw in the hole because the JB Weld will try to push it out.  Wait overnight and after you remove the screw, use a die grinder or dremmel to clean up the excess JB Weld from around the hole.  It'll be better than new.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:38:44 PM by Beemer »

sblair

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:54 PM »

the fairing is a non issue.  Really easy once you know how its done but...    getting to the headlights from the front, now that a bitc-!  Tried that on my 06.  Wanted to clean the clear lens.  You either chip the paint or break the tabs.
CVO1-2009 Silver SERG
CVO2-2011 Rio Red RUSE

DOOFUS

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 03:10:11 PM »

That's why I like the 2011 new design to make access so much easier.  Sure was a pain the old way.  DOOFUS

the fairing is a non issue.  Really easy once you know how its done but...    getting to the headlights from the front, now that a bitc-!  Tried that on my 06.  Wanted to clean the clear lens.  You either chip the paint or break the tabs.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.