Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Average motor rebuild cost?  (Read 79527 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Average motor rebuild cost?
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »

Glad you have no problems and wish you many trouble free miles, to bad we all didn't have that luck even with the new motor.   Although you are mistaken in regards to problems with Jims they are not a thing of the past they are unfortunately still current and real.

How do they run now, Harry?  It's been a few years back, '07 or '08, but Ol' Maudie went by a Jim's 131 like it was sittin' up on jack-stands.  ;) It had big dyno numbers, too, but just didn't put the HP to the pavement, IMHO.  :nixweiss: Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 12:32:23 PM »

A large motor doesn't make you any faster if you don't have the skills to run WFO. Hubbard seems to be well in tune with Ol Maudie and also knows how to get all he wants out of her.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »

A large motor doesn't make you any faster if you don't have the skills to run WFO. Hubbard seems to be well in tune with Ol Maudie and also knows how to get all he wants out of her.

Thanks for the vote of confidence there, Rooster, :2vrolijk_21: but I guess I'm sorta' like the Fox that mated with the Skunk.  I may not get all I want out of Ol' Maudie, I just get all I can stand!  I do come to my senses, somewhat, when the Ol' Girl starts to lift.  That ain't no warm and fuzzy feelin', if you get my drift.  :o :'( Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »

Hubbard,

How they run is a subjective question to what they put out, and who is at the helm and how far they will twist the throttle.  "Mine" ran fairly well when it was driveable vs. visiting it in the shop which was more than I had it at home.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

Hubbard,

How they run is a subjective question to what they put out, and who is at the helm and how far they will twist the throttle.  "Mine" ran fairly well when it was driveable vs. visiting it in the shop which was more than I had it at home.

OUCH!! Later--HUBBARD  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:05:14 PM by HUBBARD »

131fun

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »

Guys,

Performance builds have problems, period. We're pushing the envolope here. That's why we are in this forum. This isn't a JIMS forum of problems. This is a forum for bikes with problems, suggestions, and good fortunes. I'm telling ya'll what I learned from JIMS. Not what I heard. JIMS Rock!! I'm partying like a SOB on mine...  :guitarist:  Whoohoo... Whacking that throttle is a frickin rush!! I'm spreading the good fortunes that I'm havin...

R&R has a 5 piece crank that went tits up.. What's the price on this 5 piece crank? It's expensive as hell.. What's that about? I still think R&R makes good products though. Sh$t happens... Gee whiz...

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »

131fun,

You are right performance has its issues, been there done that and broke my fair share of parts along the way, but these issues imo aren't performance related.  I am not telling you what I heard I am telling you what I saw, documented and went through not what Jim's told me.   Anyone interested in buying a Jim's motor should have both sides of the story to make an informed decision to purchase or not purchase.   

In Jim's defense even though it took many many months Jim's stood behind their product and made it right, which is more than some companies would have done.   

Cam plates with soft metal issues and/or alignment problems, flywheels that hit the cases, heads that leaked oil through the intakes, oilers,  Power Glide II lifter issues, low initial compression (153 ccp) from the factory these are not performance issues, but what I would consider Q/A, Q/C and Assembly problems.

In the end they replaced my cases, flywheels, cam compartment and even kept my original heads and sent the new ones to Dave Mackie to be inspected and Q/A'd for my motor.   I now have a completely refurbished (new) motor sitting in a box in the garage .   8500+ dollars I wish I had spent with S&S.   :soapbox:

I agree to disagree and move on. 

Enjoy twisting the wick and hope yours stays together better than mine.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

131fun

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

Wow, that’s a string of bad luck. I never heard of JIMS having that many problems. Dang sure hadn’t witnessed it with mine. Sounds like your motor was on the recall. Even cars have recall, but that doesn’t mean all cars are crap. Heck, even airplanes have recall parts. We still get on planes, though.

Just goes to show the improvements JIMS made over the years. Nowadays, JIMS crank is welded is standard—not an option like older days. The case is much stronger than stock cases so you can go much greater than a 131… but I’m not gonna create a list of cool stuff about JIMS. I’m just saying no need to fear JIMS motor no more than you have to fear HD oil leaks of the past. Just think there are bikers who bad mouth R&R and S&S as well. Heck, there’s bikers that bad mouth every damn part out there. Whatcha gonna do? You gotta buy somebody’s sh$t unless you can make all of your own parts.

This thread was seriously jacked, so indeed we must move on in discussing JIMS.   :jack:

I know other JIMS owners who haven’t had any problems either, but I only speak for me.

My advice, if you really want to party, get a JIMS… 131 to be exact…

Wish you the best with all of your biking project, Unbalanced

Cheers

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2011, 11:57:10 PM »

I was in the same boat as Harry. Jim's took care of my motor as well even shipping back and forth. I decided to give it another try and so far so good. Only time will tell, I had 8k before it went the first time.

131fun

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:34 AM »

Ha! Ha! Ya’ll make for fun reading! Everybody is coming out the woodwork about their JIMS. Gee, this engine is more popular than I thought.  One minute nobody had this motor cuz it’s too expensive. Now everybody has one that’s broken.. Hey Bubba, how's yers JIMS doin? LOL

Anyway, I would consider Axtell’s products if I were to go with a build on a stock case. The cylinders are beefy! They are good folks too. Just right off the bat, you prolly can get a nice 117 kit for under $3K. I would prolly do a 117 over a 120. The 117 is really popular and run with the best of them.

Someone here could do a better job than me on 117 cost including tune. It’s definitely a force to be reckon with.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »

I really like the 131. That is why I put it back in. There is talk of 120's and 131's back in the archives. 131fun I see you are relatively new to the site. It sure is great to hear you are enjoying yours and have no issues. The rest of us are just hoping for the same.  :2vrolijk_21: Come on out to Tahoe in June and ride with us it's going to be a great time.

131fun

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 12:25:03 PM »

I really like the 131. That is why I put it back in. There is talk of 120's and 131's back in the archives. 131fun I see you are relatively new to the site. It sure is great to hear you are enjoying yours and have no issues. The rest of us are just hoping for the same.  :2vrolijk_21: Come on out to Tahoe in June and ride with us it's going to be a great time.

Yep, I'm a newbie to ya'll folks. I noticed that some forums favor one product over another. It's sweet to know someone on this forum likes JIMS too! The motor is such an animal, people don't know weather to love it or hate it.  ;D My goodness, thank you for help making my point. JIMS motor problems in the archive section. Sounds like the old motor. In the archive section cuz it's older info, but still good info, by the way. Model A had problems too, I heard. Just a little humor on the Model A.  ::)

I would like to say that the average cost depends on how many ponies you want. I would think up to 120cubes, the kit would be around $3k, but at some point you'll have to reinforce other parts of your bike like the clutch, T/B, exhaust, etc. at some point. So just getting a $3k kit is just the beginning. All the other parts have to keep up with the new hp and tq.

What ride is that in Tahoe in June? What dealership do ya'll hang out at. Depending on my funds, I might slip Tahoe in. Maybe I should hold onto the funds just in case JIMS break down on me. LOL.

Rock on guys!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:33:04 PM by 131fun »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2011, 06:01:13 PM »

Rooster how many miles you have on the rebuild of the motor after your Jim's problems?   Yours nor mine were old motors lol.   131fun Archives just means past posts there really isnt an archiving per se.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2011, 06:03:51 PM »

Rooster how many miles you have on the rebuild of the motor after your Jim's problems?   Yours nor mine were old motors lol.   131fun Archives just means past posts there really isnt an archiving per se.

Whew.....I thought it meant Terry (Rooster) is getting really old. :)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »

JCZ,
Had to go back and check getting old ya know, but I did say motors not units  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 21 queries.