Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Average motor rebuild cost?  (Read 79526 times)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Average motor rebuild cost?
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »

Harry, only one thousand miles so far. I had 8k when it went the first time. I was trying to decide whether to reinstall the 131 or tear down the 110 and build it right when Mrs. R asked Doesn't the 131 have everything you would do to the 110? And I answered the 131 is going back in. I still have more faith in the 131 than I did with the 110 and I still have the 110 in a box so I could completely redo it if I choose. And JC you are still older than me. :huepfenlol2:

131fun

« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »

No offense guys, even if a rider is an old geezer, it doesn't matter. There are old geezers who have more energy than young guys. I'm glad I wasn't on JIMS recall. There are a lot of JIMS riders out there who haven't had any problems with the engine. I've talk to them, but I just speak from my experience. A few guys said they snapped the belt on their belt drive and switch to chain drive. That's torque, dude. JIMS is on the national race circuit... A lot of pros run JIMS.

Rooster you're making a good move by sticking by the 131. People might envy your build cuz the 131 is such a huge build. I'm sure the rush that you get with the 131 is well worth it. Your 131 is a whale against a stock motor of tic-tacs.  :2vrolijk_21: What's the average cost of your beast?

Are the rest of ya'll still interested in talking average cost for a build? I think the 117 is a hot build to have. Any feedback on the 117 from any name brand?

If you wanna have fun, get a 131... JIMS baby....and kick the competition where the sun don't shine...

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2011, 11:44:51 PM »

What ride is that in Tahoe in June? What dealership do ya'll hang out at. Depending on my funds, I might slip Tahoe in. Maybe I should hold onto the funds just in case JIMS break down on me. LOL.Rock on guys!!

[/quote]

Here is a link for the info on the GTG in Tahoe. Don has picked a very affordable hotel  :2vrolijk_21:. Seriously, if you can make it to one of the CVO GTG's you'll have a great time, and meet some awesome people.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52512.0

As far as dealership's I hang out in.....2 hours away don't get to hang out much.....Latus Motors in Gladstone Oregon.
Where are you from?

131fun

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2011, 12:55:15 AM »

Beaverton. Just a little NW of Gladstone. Sounds like fun ridin'. We'll see how much ridin' I'll get under my belt this year.

I look forward to my discussion with ya'll..

Cheers

Half_Crazy

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2011, 08:38:16 AM »

When you roll with the big dogs and buy the works, it's not just the motor that you have to buy. You have to buy new exhaust, clutch, TB, Tuner, hi-tq starter... and yes, labor for the install and tune.
Is it a lot of money? Yes! Could I have bought another bike? Yes! I think a lot of you understand that you have to pay to play. Could you get a nice build for cheaper? Yes! But my bike knows how to party...

+1 and 100% agree!

If you wanna dance, you gotta pay the band. Big horsepower is not cheap... and if you go cheap... you'll learn that you get exactly what you pay for.  :soapbox:

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »

If you wanna' be quicker, stick with Zipper's.  Ain't seen a Jim's 131 pass Ol' Maudie so far.  I know there's always a first time, but all things considered, especially the empty weight of Ol' Maudie being 970 lbs, the Jim's 120's and 131's up here, just ain't got it.  They run good, but not like a Zipper's in a flat out, WFO long run on the Interstate.  As said, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"  To each his own, IMHO.  ;) Later--HUBBARD   
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

Harry, only one thousand miles so far. I had 8k when it went the first time. I was trying to decide whether to reinstall the 131 or tear down the 110 and build it right when Mrs. R asked Doesn't the 131 have everything you would do to the 110? And I answered the 131 is going back in. I still have more faith in the 131 than I did with the 110 and I still have the 110 in a box so I could completely redo it if I choose. And JC you are still older than me. :huepfenlol2:

Damn.....how'd I get drug into this?  I'm pleadin "not guilty, yer honor!" and I'm stickin to it!

Now back on topic........Terry, you still have time in the down season to get that 110" built and keep it stand by so that you don't miss any of the riding season this summer.  Justsayinzall. ???
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Half_Crazy

« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »

As said, "Speed costs money.  How fast do you want to go?"

My engine builder says "The only limits are MY imagination and YOUR wallet". LOL

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42:36 PM »

That's a great saying Half Crazy! All i can say is i hear people say i just don't see why people want to modify their engines...it's so stupid! They don't know what riding a Harley is all about...it's not the speed it's the ride and besides they will void their warranty! Then when were following a truck through winding roads for ever and i jump out and pass while they keep following for ever and ever the next time we stop it's like i wish my bike was as fast as yours! I give up! I'll eventually tell them i'm one of those idiots that spend thousands on my engine and their all quiet. It's not just the engine cost the rest of the drive train has to anti up! Then i'll say all said and done with my fancy oil cooler suspension parts etc i'm at $8,500 they almost faint.If you want to play you have to pay. So in my opinion the 13,500 for the Jim's is justified.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:46:17 PM by fatboi1959 »
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

SandS RESTOS

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTDSE2 Cobalt Blue/Starlight Black
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2011, 11:29:45 PM »

Is 2 still better than 1? I'd keep the bike I have and buy another one for $13,500.00. Split the mileage between them so's not to where either them out so quickly.
Live to Ride, Ride to Live!!

Half_Crazy

« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2011, 05:37:47 AM »

i hear people say i just don't see why people want to modify their engines...it's so stupid! They don't know what riding a Harley is all about...it's not the speed it's the ride

I get those same comments all the time! "It's a CRUISER" -- "If you want fast, buy a 'Busa" -- "Why spend big bucks to make a slow bike fast?"-- "The speed limit is 65" -- "You spent WHAT???"      People think I'm bat-sh!t-crazy.

Then there's guys that say "It's all about the torque. These things make 80 ft-lbs at 2400 RPM". They're right, it is all about torque, that's why I make 100 ft-lbs off-idle... and that's why my bagger will run 11s thru the 1/4 mile with the ol' lady on the back.

As the guys here have found out, under warranty they will put the bike back to stock. How'd that work out for ya? The warranty will still cover everything but the drive train... and I don't want the dealer workin' on the motor anyway, so I'll take my chances.

I wish I had been smart enough to do it right, all at once. That would have cost me around $6800. But no! I did it in steps and didn't listen to the right advice, and it ended up costing $10 grand! No matter. This will be one FUN riding season!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 05:48:22 AM by Half_Crazy »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »

Damn.....how'd I get drug into this?  I'm pleadin "not guilty, yer honor!" and I'm stickin to it!

Now back on topic........Terry, you still have time in the down season to get that 110" built and keep it stand by so that you don't miss any of the riding season this summer.  Justsayinzall. ???
I hear ya JC ;D

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 08:22:34 PM »

:vrolijk27: :vrolijk27: :vrolijk27:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.