Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 14850 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Front End DECELL wobble!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

I got to stay off these forums.... This sounds scary- luckily Ive never experienced this and hopefully never will. I quit reading the twin cam section on this forum because of all the " my engine blew up" threads.

Yep.....gotta sell that Road Glide and get a much better handling batwing fairing.  I ride without hands often, even in curvy roads, in the wind, etc.

On the serious side......the high speed wobbles  on decel was happening to another member of this forum.  He'd already had it to two other dealerships to check the fall away.  They both told him it was within specs.  We were on a weekend ride and stopped at the dealership in Carson City (I was getting scared for him and her).  Told them the symptoms and that two other dealerships said it was within specs but that something clearly wasn't right.  They took the bike in (it was closing time) and spent an hour with it (had two service guys back there on it)......came out and said it wasn't within specs but that it is now.  No more problems.

So this may lend to the idea that the bearing races weren't seated from the factory and eventrually dropped down in like they belong and then set the correct fall away toleraence. :nixweiss:

I kept trying to tell him he should have just bought a batwing fairing bike and he wouldn't be having handling issues. :)
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 10:00:39 AM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is/was a known issue with Alcoa rims being out of round on the 09 SERGs. Not sure the problem has carried over but thought it worth throwing it out there jic!!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned but there is/was a known issue with Alcoa rims being out of round on the 09 SERGs. Not sure the problem has carried over but thought it worth throwing it out there jic!!
Was that the only model that had the out of round rims, GH? :nixweiss:  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

I don't know what the issue was, but there was a recall on the back wheel, early on.  As soon as I swapped my wheels for the Blade wheels, I had the changing dealership check and they said it wasn't on the recall list.  Then I got a copy of the bullitin and checked myself, when it came time to change the tire.....that dealership also said it wasn't on the list (due to misinterpreting the wording on the service bullitin).  I contacted the MoCo and they called me back in a day or two and said that it is a recalled wheel, to take it back to the dealership that was going to put the tire on it and they'd arrange for a wheel swap.

I believe it was something to do with the welds, not being out of round.  Sure wasn't any kind of vibration on the old wheel.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »

Was that the only model that had the out of round rims, GH? :nixweiss:  spyder
Not sure to what extent the problem existed, Spydy, sorry. Maybe someone in the know will chime in! But aside from the rear tire recall JC mentioned my front rim was replaced for being out of round. It took many attempts to find why my rotors were warping. Turned out to be the rim. The MOCO covered rim, rotors and pads under warranty.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »

Not sure to what extent the problem existed, Spydy, sorry. Maybe someone in the know will chime in! But aside from the rear tire recall JC mentioned my front rim was replaced for being out of round. It took many attempts to find why my rotors were warping. Turned out to be the rim. The MOCO covered rim, rotors and pads under warranty.
I know that some new wheels are hard to balance.. :-\..really out.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jcd520

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 12:24:20 PM »

Had my third customer, this morning, with a potentially violent "headshake" only when decelling from anything above 50mph. All three cases the same symptoms. 2010 and 2011 (today was the first 2011) FLTRSE, less than 3000 mi., one with stock windshield, two with Klok Werks. 4th, 5th or 6th gear, roll off throttle to slow down. As speedo reaches apx. 45mph, slight wobble begins and increases until apx. 35 mph, then quits. Found strg. head set at 3-4 full swings, adjusted to 1 1/4 swings. Bikes will still set up a headshake at same conditions, BUT only if hands are not on bars. Better, but I know there is still a geometry issue not addressed yet. No such irrepairable complaints from "Batwing" fairing owners, only fixed fairing bikes. Already investigated the more obvious/traditional points: tires, air psi, runout, alignment etc... Hard to believe in frame flex, but is the new frame TOO rigid? Does the "Batwing" fairing act as a spoiler to mask the condition?  ??? I've seen this condition as far back as 2001. I can't come up with a solution until I understand the cause. ANY help? Anybody? :nixweiss:

My 2011 flhxse2 does this exact same thing at approx 35mph--------batwing fairing!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 01:16:28 PM »

My 09 SG doesn't wobble when slowing down. But, a couple of times while crossing the centerline into the other lane, I hit a ridge where one lane's pavement was slightly higher that the other lane. The bike went into a crazzy death wobble that almost threw me off every time. When I took the bike to the dealer about the front tire cupping issues, the mechanic said that the front bearings did not feel right, so he replaced them along with the updated front tire. Since then I have tried to hit the uneven centerline on the pavement at the same place in the road and had no issues. I think my issue was partly due to the cupping, but greatly exagerated by a defective front wheel bearing.

I am only guessing, but I think HD needs to take a look at all of their bearing installation procedures. I'm guessing that races are not being seated properly.

JMO, jb

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 09:23:49 PM »

Loose neck bearings
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 11:46:17 AM »

My 2011 flhxse2 does this exact same thing at approx 35mph--------batwing fairing!

Had the same thing happen to a buddy's batwing bike.. brought it over, tightened it up to just 1 swing..problem solved..I'm more convinced than ever that fallaway method just isn't close... 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »

Had the same thing happen to a buddy's batwing bike.. brought it over, tightened it up to just 1 swing..problem solved..I'm more convinced than ever that fallaway method just isn't close... 

i concur, especially on a TR. service supplement attached.

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2011, 05:46:44 PM »

i concur, especially on a TR. service supplement attached.

TN

Cut that in half and you may have something...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »

Cut that in half and you may have something...

my 08TR does good to make it 1 swing on the fall away test, smooth as silk. :orange: the 09 serg does just over 1 swing. when i brought the serg home it tested out around 5+ swings.  :nixweiss:

as far as a batwing bike..............................nevermind   :drink:

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 07:05:15 PM »

Had the same exact problem on my 09 SERG. Hands off the bars from 45 - 35 and she did an extreme dance. Hands lightly on the bars, she still danced upon slowing down or coasting but not as bad. Explained situation to dealer and was told never to ride with hands off the bars. One of the techs took her for a spin and came back and approached the shop manager and said, he's right - the bike shouldn't do that even if he takes his hands off bars. I veleive it shook him up a bit.

He tightened the neck bearing to the specs of the 08 (I think that's what he said) and I have been problem free for 12,000 miles (hands off or on bars at any speed). This occured when my SERG had 3,000 or so miles.

BryantH

Same here on my 2011. Just spoke with the tech yesterday and he said even thought the previous dealer claimed to adjust the neck bearing, he liked it a little tighter than what the swing test provides. I think he said 1 1/2 swings. That waywhen it wears a little it will still be in spec. He said not to tighten it down too much so that it wears the bearing or race (sp).

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 02:28:53 PM »

from experience...I'd check to make sure a wheel weight wasn't thrown. 
There is also a heavy spot in the tire AND a heavy spot in the rim. 
If by chance those get mounted together, you now have a very heavy spot that weight may not take out. 
Heavy spots should be mounted opposite from each other and are often marked at least on the tire. 
Often a weight gets thrown and immediately people begin tightening things. 
Could also be a warped rotor or worn tire. 
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.