Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wiring question  (Read 1697 times)

jemattingly

• Junior CVO Member
Wiring question
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »

2003 SERK...I have looked at wiring diagrams...probably would help if I had the right one...

The two switches on the nacelle:  one has two grey and black wires that control the highway lights...the other has two orange....

I can't get any power to them.  I am looking for them to be hot with either the accessory on or the ignition on.  Anybody know when they are supposed to be hot or what I can wire a switch to that will be hot in those two conditions?

Thanks,

Eric

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Wiring question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

The right side switch is for the spotlights; if the bike had them.  Should be hot when the switch is on.  Left side switch is on/off for the accessory connector in front of the battery.  Should also be hot when the switch is on.

You said neither are hot.  Don't mean to sound pedantic but how are you checking them?

Have seen people check for power at the connectors below those switches by probing across the two wires in to and out of the connector.  Remember that the two wires on each connector are not the + and - of a circuit.  They're the same wire just broken by the switch.  So it wouldn't show hot with a test light or a meter that way. 

jemattingly

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:30:39 PM »

Makes sense.  My hiway lights are hot on the switch.  I was checking for power at the back end of the switch...still may be checking wrong.  I need to tap in on that switch.  I have some previously installed frame lights I want to run off of it.  Where?  How can I tap in to that switch?

Thanks for the help...I am not a body man or an electrician!  HA!

Eric

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »

Makes sense.  My hiway lights are hot on the switch.  I was checking for power at the back end of the switch...still may be checking wrong.  I need to tap in on that switch.  I have some previously installed frame lights I want to run off of it.  Where?  How can I tap in to that switch?

Thanks for the help...I am not a body man or an electrician!  HA!

Eric

Were you checking across the two wires at the back of the switch?  If so that's the same issue mentioned before.  That's the same wire on both sides of the switch.  So putting a test light or meter across them won't show anything. 

You need to test from either wire to ground.  With a multimeter put one probe on one of the wires and the other probe on a good ground (preferably negative battery post just to be sure).  If the switch is turned on the wires on both sides of the switch will be hot.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:00:14 PM »

+1...always check a potential hot to a good ground.  A clean ground, like a clean bolt to the frame will often work, but the sure fire way is to the neg terminal on the battery.  Whether the switch is bad or not can also be checked in the same manner.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:38:41 PM »

2003 SERK...I have looked at wiring diagrams...probably would help if I had the right one...

The two switches on the nacelle:  one has two grey and black wires that control the highway lights...the other has two orange....

I can't get any power to them.  I am looking for them to be hot with either the accessory on or the ignition on.  Anybody know when they are supposed to be hot or what I can wire a switch to that will be hot in those two conditions?

Thanks,

Eric

There is a plug behind the nacelle that the wires run in to, I think if you look you will see that its unpluged.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 07:42:17 PM »

+1...always check a potential hot to a good ground.  A clean ground, like a clean bolt to the frame will often work, but the sure fire way is to the neg terminal on the battery.  Whether the switch is bad or not can also be checked in the same manner.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.