Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Winter riding is NOT recommended...  (Read 8405 times)

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
Re: Winter riding is NOT recommended...
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:50:01 AM »

He wasn't cool enough either, he had to have been cold, but he wanted to show all his friends how cool he was with his video camera, not sure I would be sharing stupid chit like that with everyone!
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »

:oops:Learn from the mistakes of others. You will never live long enough to make them all yourself.

great seeing you here Lisa.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 02:52:03 PM »

He wasn't cool enough either, he had to have been cold, but he wanted to show all his friends how cool he was with his video camera, not sure I would be sharing stupid chit like that with everyone!
Or maybe he realizes his mistakes and is swallowing his pride to share in hopes others learn from his mistakes as Schmoopy indicates above. :-\  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:09 PM »

Saw two nuts in the past few weeks. While in Denver I was a guy on a bile with a side car, it had snowed the night before and melted, the road was wet, and had a bunch of mag chloride on it about 34* out, I had to keep windshield wipers on just to see and he's riding down I70! The next one was a week later, had been showing on and off for the entire day 24* out and in the afternoon I was a guy coming the other way on his bile with no windshield and he was covered in snow. Not sure that they are thinking?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 03:14:13 PM »

Saw two nuts in the past few weeks. While in Denver I was a guy on a bile with a side car, it had snowed the night before and melted, the road was wet, and had a bunch of mag chloride on it about 34* out, I had to keep windshield wipers on just to see and he's riding down I70! The next one was a week later, had been showing on and off for the entire day 24* out and in the afternoon I was a guy coming the other way on his bile with no windshield and he was covered in snow. Not sure that they are thinking?
Isn't medicinal marijuana legal out your way now Talon?  Prolly going for 'munchies'.   ::) har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »

over here we got - since lately - a law: you need appropriate tires in winter times.

As there are no "winter tires" for bikes this nonsense stopped like a button was pushed  ;D
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »

Unfortunately the poor guy's biggest screw up wasn't the loafers and cold legs as a fashion choice.  He also didn't know what he was doing. 

Either he never ever considered the wet spot might be slick or was obvlivious to the circumstances.  Only chance he had of riding through was coming off power and letting the wheels roll evenly over the slick spot.  Throttle never released though.  Engine sounds the same until he landed.  Back wheel under power hit the ice and slid right out from beneath him.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

Unfortunately the poor guy's biggest screw up wasn't the loafers and cold legs as a fashion choice.  He also didn't know what he was doing. 

Either he never ever considered the wet spot might be slick or was obvlivious to the circumstances.  Only chance he had of riding through was coming off power and letting the wheels roll evenly over the slick spot.  Throttle never released though.  Engine sounds the same until he landed.  Back wheel under power hit the ice and slid right out from beneath him.
I was expecting him to slide when he went through those 'shaded' spots, not knowing if there was ice or whatever there....with snow on the roadsides and that elevation, I'm riding on edge anyway. :nervous:  spyder

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 08:58:34 PM »

I was expecting him to slide when he went through those 'shaded' spots, not knowing if there was ice or whatever there....with snow on the roadsides and that elevation, I'm riding on edge anyway. :nervous:  spyder

That's the same reason I won't use the cruise control on the bike in the rain.  Some slight difference in bite to the road and the cruise control can drive the back wheel out from underneath you.  On four wheels you shimmy a bit.  On two wheels you're on your ass.  In cold weather when a patch of anything might be out there unexpectedly the cruise is never an option. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »

I was expecting him to slide when he went through those 'shaded' spots, not knowing if there was ice or whatever there....with snow on the roadsides and that elevation, I'm not riding on edge anyway. :nervous:  spyder
I changed your post to what you and I would really do. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »

I changed your post to what you and I would really do. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
yeah, well, since we're not talking about my stupid past/ idiot judgements...Correct !!  :2vrolijk_21: har.  spyder

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37:44 AM »

Was a nice ride up to 1:46!

Definitely lucky he didn't get tore up worse in those shoes!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 04:34:31 AM »

Saw two nuts in the past few weeks. While in Denver I was a guy on a bile with a side car, it had snowed the night before and melted, the road was wet, and had a bunch of mag chloride on it about 34* out, I had to keep windshield wipers on just to see and he's riding down I70! ...

Sidecars are an entirely different story: they were built for winter riding: click  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »

How about the chopper  .... less than 30 seconds in

fast96

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide Mako Shark
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 11:16:37 AM »

Or maybe he realizes his mistakes and is swallowing his pride to share in hopes others learn from his mistakes as Schmoopy indicates above. :-\  spyder
Hey Spyder you are correct I was being a little critical, Donna and I have done that ride a bunch of times and always wait till mid march only because you can start up the hill and its mid 70's and then all of a sudden you are freezing your but off! I am glad the guy didn't get hurt could have been alot worse! Chris     
Any day Racin or Ridin is better than workin!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.