Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: belt or chain??? again.....  (Read 1160 times)

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
belt or chain??? again.....
« on: February 09, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »

replace the belt or go chain?

i run a 96" ultra and sidecar - lots of wt, my belt has a 3/8" rock right next to the edge, not close enough to throw the rock out but right at the edge. dents in the pullys - all has to go - 15000 miles on the clock. its a major pita.

ive collected a new take off ids from a 08 with no miles for FIVE bux plus shipping to install when i take it ALL apart to change the belt. im going to install a 30 tooth trans sprocket at the same time along with a se compensator and hopefully a hyd ramp chain tensioner because the primary case gets HOT, lots hotter than my 88 primary.

so the question - would a 0 ring 530 chain be a reasonable swap while its all apart. :confused5:

cons - more vibration, more noise, more adjustment, more fiddling

pros - wont have to take the whole left side apart to change chains - just break it and pull the new one in. easy simple, used to do it every 3000 miles on my 77, as easy as a oil change and less mess.

cons - the belt vibrated and cut some wires that are way way too close to the belt - ill have to make a metal guard to protect the wires or rework where the fuze box wires go to protect them when the chain gets loose.

i used to ride 20k a year or better - now i only ride 5 or 6 k a year - one or two chains a year - no major take aparts to do it - vs take it ALL apart every 15k..........

opinions????

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 21 queries.