Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheap way to get a little luggage & a backrest.  (Read 5409 times)

FergiSan

Cheap way to get a little luggage & a backrest.
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:13:55 PM »

I love my 06 VRSCSE2.  It is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (other than my wife, right sweetheart?).  However, I've lamented the lack of custom saddlebags & luggage for some time, and I've read comments from others who have as well.  I fell in love with the Beetle Bags offered by Corbin, but could find no way to mount them, and no way to buy the paint to make them match.  I had a tech at the local dealership tell me that he had a friend who could fabricate any mount I needed, but it was still risky, as if they couldn't be made to fit, Corbin wouldn't take them back, and they aren't exactly "budget" bags.  I had resigned myself to wearing a small backpack.

Well, I was cleaning the garage yesterday, and I found a H-D tailbag for my 09 XR1200, that I never use, due to the extreme height, when mounted on the already high XR.  In fact, I'd forgotten that I had it.  Well, a quick glance at the way it mounts led me to believe that it would sit nicely on the pillion of the SE2.  IT DOES!  It almost looks like it was made for it. The carbon fiber trim on the bag even vaguely matches the "snakeskin" on the seat.  And as a bonus, it makes a decent backrest for anything other than long distance touring.  It's H-D part number 90409-08, and lists at $169.95.  I did have to have a rear fender/light strap made that was about 7 inches longer than the one that came with the bag, in order to use it on the SE2, and I had Velcro sewn on the spring straps, to keep them from flapping, as the bag fits this bike a little differently than the XR.

Now for the pics!

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
Re: Cheap way to get a little luggage & a backrest.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »

Slick solution! Nicely done.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:47:26 PM »

The straps on the paint is making me cringe!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

FergiSan

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »

They don't actually touch except for near the edge of the fender.  The bag actually has a space of about 1/2 inch above the fender, because of the way it sits on the pillion.  I have certainly considered the problem, and I'm thinking of using some clear decal, such as the one at the front of the seat on the airbox cover.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »

They don't actually touch except for near the edge of the fender.  The bag actually has a space of about 1/2 inch above the fender, because of the way it sits on the pillion.  I have certainly considered the problem, and I'm thinking of using some clear decal, such as the one at the front of the seat on the airbox cover.
I bet at 70 MPH they will, I would look at another way of attaching at the rear as it looks great and very functional  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »

Great Idea looks nice. :2vrolijk_21:
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

Thundering6

• CVO1: 2007 VRSCX #66/1400
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »

X2...And I am also in agreement that at any speed they will rub and damage the paint.I seen it happen with a buddies DX and his coat covered in a spyderweb strap.....Andy

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

I bet at 70 MPH they will, I would look at another way of attaching at the rear as it looks great and very functional  :2vrolijk_21:

Ditto...Heck a backpack on my back rubbed the dye out of my seat much less this one...

bigjohn

• Full CVO Member
  • "Glorified Briggs and Stratton engine"
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 12:26:07 PM »

I'm thinking of using some clear decal, such as the one at the front of the seat on the airbox cover.
Thats a good idea. You can replace it as it gets worn. It comes off easy with a little heat (hair dryer).
Thats a beautiful bike, the bag actually looks like it was made for it.
 :2vrolijk_21: very good job  :2vrolijk_21:
Hang on Newt......she's headed for the buckwheat

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.