Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Which is better for and 09 road glide CVO- power commander or race tuner  (Read 9713 times)

agagliar

I own an cvo road glide 09, I am planing on changing the headers to a true duel V&H power duels, and they tell me i need a fuel management system to go along with it. I have heard good and bad things about both and i am torn, I like the fact that the race tuner is not something that has to stay plugged into you bike but also i hear great things about the PC,

I am not a guy to play around with the maps, I want harley to put it in and I want to be done with it,  Any suggestions  on which way to go?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Which is better for and 09 road glide CVO- power commander or race tuner
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 11:27:34 PM »

If you're wedded to the choices of either Power Commander or Race Tuner there's no reason to really let it be your decision.  Ask whomever the dyno operator you've selected what his preference is and go with that.  You're paying him to use whatever he's best with.  So let the choice be his. 

If not wedded to either might also consider a relatively new tuning product called EMS from Revolution Performance.  I've used it and liked it as have a few others here.  No dyno with this product.  Just put it on and go.  It's the engine management packagement for those of us too old, impatient or just bored to spend hours dialing them in ourselves when there's an option that can have the whole task done in less than an hour.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »

I own an cvo road glide 09, I am planing on changing the headers to a true duel V&H power duels, and they tell me i need a fuel management system to go along with it. I have heard good and bad things about both and i am torn, I like the fact that the race tuner is not something that has to stay plugged into you bike but also i hear great things about the PC,

I am not a guy to play around with the maps, I want harley to put it in and I want to be done with it,  Any suggestions  on which way to go?

There is a new product on the market by Revolution Performance called EMS and as Twolane pointed out, many of us here have tried and used the system and very happy with it. The system does exactly what your are seeking. The installation takes less than an hour and your on the road with a tune as good or possibly better then professional Dyno Tune. In fact, you can pay for this product with the $$$ you would spend on your first Dyno Tune. The EMS is a true self-optimizing system, if you ever change cams, exhaust, throttle bodies, etc. the system instantly self adjusts for the change. You dont have to mess with laptops, no cumbersome data runs and logging, you just plug and go... here is there site if you want more info.. and if you purchase from Jenni with Tri County HD you can save you 20%.. Also, if you purchse direct from Revolution Performance and mention you are a CVOHarley member, they will give you a 10% discount.  http://www.revperf.com/Precision/index.html
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:02:33 PM by cvobiker »

agagliar

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:32:03 PM »

thanks for the info both of you guys, i will look into that one.

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »

You opened up a can of worms and its very likely that this blog will reach a count of at least 50! :-X  All I can tell you is that there are several fuel management systems.  Everyone has a preference or a favorite much like your local football team.  A HD dealer will not promote anything outside of a HD product.  You can go the easy route and you will get a ton of opinions here and make a choice, or get on the internet and start doing your own research.  If that's all you plan to do to your bike, it shouldn't be very complicated.  I like ThunderMax and a lot of others do as well that are members of this site.  However there are alot of others to choose from and everyone has their preferences.....keep in mind what you are trying to accomplish and what your need are.  These guys are great at spending $$$$$ and they know their CHIT!
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »

..... The EMS is a true self-optimizing system, if you ever change cams, exhaust, throttle bodies, etc. the system instantly self adjusts for the change. .....
Could be wrong... have been before... but I thought it was stated if/when you make changes to your bike you had to send the ECM back to Rev and have them reprogram it... Is that correct or am I mistaken? TIA.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 05:40:21 PM »

only if you change the size of the injectors or change the displacement over 10 percent. - other than that - they say bolt on what ever you want and go ride it will adjust to suit right away. you could put on a huge air cleaner to go hot rodding with the buds and then put on a stock one for a long trip in the rain - and it will just adjust.

long ago i know a guy who had two manifolds for his car - a two barrel manifold and a dual quad - change the manifold and go racing. with efi thats harder to do - but IS possible if the computer program is set up to see the change and adjust.

obviously a racer will be happier with tts etc - but for a guy in his garage - no laptop? thats a big bonus for ems.

to

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »

This is just me speaking here and my personal experiences as compared with close bros. I've had several H-D's with SERTs on them and am a huge fan. I've seen my bros use PC's and have them go haywire after a couple years. Yes, the PC"s run real sweet when new, but seem to develop electronic flu or something as time goes by. The SERT on LD is now going on 5 years old and has not had a single glitch. I have no idea what H-D has done to them since I bought the one in LD in Oct 06 so I may be speaking of days gone by. What I can say is the two 03 SERKS that had them, the 05 SEVROD that had one and LD my 07 Faux CVO RG all have run like bulls in heat. 

B B

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:02:07 AM »

only if you change the size of the injectors or change the displacement over 10 percent. - other than that - they say bolt on what ever you want and go ride it will adjust to suit right away. you could put on a huge air cleaner to go hot rodding with the buds and then put on a stock one for a long trip in the rain - and it will just adjust.

long ago i know a guy who had two manifolds for his car - a two barrel manifold and a dual quad - change the manifold and go racing. with efi thats harder to do - but IS possible if the computer program is set up to see the change and adjust.

obviously a racer will be happier with tts etc - but for a guy in his garage - no laptop? thats a big bonus for ems.

to

An air cleaner change it will be fine with.....According to the company, if you change cams then you will need to send your ECM back to them for re-programming--but they will do it for free.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:16 AM »

This is just me speaking here and my personal experiences as compared with close bros. I've had several H-D's with SERTs on them and am a huge fan. I've seen my bros use PC's and have them go haywire after a couple years. Yes, the PC"s run real sweet when new, but seem to develop electronic flu or something as time goes by. The SERT on LD is now going on 5 years old and has not had a single glitch. I have no idea what H-D has done to them since I bought the one in LD in Oct 06 so I may be speaking of days gone by. What I can say is the two 03 SERKS that had them, the 05 SEVROD that had one and LD my 07 Faux CVO RG all have run like bulls in heat.  

B B

The Revolution Performance EMS is a brand new system, i think less the 6 months on the market, so we havent had a whole lot of time to really make a good evaluation beyond all the good things we've seen and heard so far. I will say the EMS system is very similar to the Daytona Twin Tech TCFI using proven Bosch wide band O2 Sensors. and according to Brian of Revolution Performance, Chris Schroeder (owner of DTT) was involved with engineering the EMS product. So with that being said, I have no doubts at all that the EMS system will be nothing less than a superior product. Chris Schroeder is one of the industries best when it comes to designing and engineering electronic controlled EFI systems and combine his knowledge with the expertise the Revolution Performance folks have, thats makes a damn good recipe. So far the EMS is showing good reviews and i have not read or heard of one dissatisfied user. In fact, I read on another forum where a few Dyno runs were done comparing the EMS against a popular cumbersome data log tune and the EMS came out equal or better on the Dyno comparison results.  That in-itself is enough to sell me. Especially when i consider all the damn time I have wasted trying to get 'that perfect' tune with a SERT or TTS... i think the guys & gals at Revolution Performance have an awesome product and it's just a mater of time for this to catch on.... .. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:  
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:43:11 AM by cvobiker »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »

An air cleaner change it will be fine with.....According to the company, if you change cams then you will need to send your ECM back to them for re-programming--but they will do it for free.
Thanks, I knew there was something I'd heard about it having to go back for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 11:41:22 AM »

Thanks, I knew there was something I'd heard about it having to go back for.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

dood - i read on anther forum that you can do a cam change without a re-flash then read here you can't.. I sent a PM to Rev Performance and asked them to explain.. If i threw missinformation on this thread,, i apologize.   :2vrolijk_21:  in any case,, i'll make sure to correct when REV explains. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »

dood - i read on anther forum that you can do a cam change without a re-flash then read here you can't.. I sent a PM to Rev Performance and asked them to explain.. If i threw missinformation on this thread,, i apologize.   :2vrolijk_21:  in any case,, i'll make sure to correct when REV explains. 
No worries... I don't have a dog in this fight either way... just wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken on what I read/heard.

Do let us know what you find out from Rev so it will clear it up for all. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 12:54:59 PM »

I would be interested in hearing the answer as well.  Who knows....maybe the guy gave me the wrong info......

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:47 PM »

No worries... I don't have a dog in this fight either way... just wanted to make sure I wasn't mistaken on what I read/heard.

Do let us know what you find out from Rev so it will clear it up for all. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Got an email back from Brian at Ref Performance tonight, he said No re-flash is necessary for a cam change, the EMS will self adjust.   :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 2.754 seconds with 21 queries.