Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: WHY I LIKE TO DO MY OWN WRENCHING AND OIL SERVICES  (Read 4341 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
WHY I LIKE TO DO MY OWN WRENCHING AND OIL SERVICES
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:02 PM »

Well I predict that this will be a popular thread because I know I am not alone!!

I bought my new CVO Street Glide like many of you here.

I have worked though a few "punch list" items over the last year but my latest discovery really pisses me off!!

I made my annual trek down to Daytona over the last weekend. As is customary for me when I return from "Main Street Parade Duty" I change all of the fluids. So what did I discover when I did the project today?

I found that the primary fluid was nearly 8 ounces low and real dirty. The tranny fluid was very dirty as well and the fill plug was real loose.  All 3 drain plugs were not at torque spec.

The oil filler cap was loose as well.

What is really disappointing is that I am doing this 2nd oil service at 3,800 miles not 5,000 miles and AFTER my local dealer completed the first oil and fluid service at 1,000 miles AND charged me for them.

So class in summary, more loose plugs and 2 fluid changes that I was charged for but were not done.

Now I'll only have myself to blame if something goes wrong.

Regards

Jerry
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:39:35 PM by CVOStreetglide »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: WHY I LIKE TO DO MY OWN WRENCHING AND OIL SERVICES
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »

Well I predict that this will be a popular thread because I am no alone!,

I bought my new CVO Street Glide like many of you here.

I have worked though a few "punch list" items over the last year but my latest discovery really pisses me off!!

I made my annual trek down to Daytona over the last weekend. As is customary for me when I return from "Main Street Parade Duty" I change all of the fluids. So what did I discover when I did the project today?

I found that the primary fluid was nearly 8 ounces low and real dirty. The tranny fluid was very dirty as well and the fill plug was real loose.  All 3 drain plugs were not at torque spec.

The oil filler cap was loose as well.

What is really disappointing is that I am doing this 2nd oil service at 3,800 miles not 5,000 miles and AFTER my local dealer completed the first oil and fluid service at 1,000 miles AND charged me for them.

So class in summary, more loose plugs and 2 fluid changes that I was charged for but were not done.

Now I'll only have myself to blame if something goes wrong.

Regards

Jerry

All to common a situation, and an excellent reason for people to "cut the cord" with the dealer and just do the service intervals themselves, or find a good independent they can trust to do things right.

Consider this; after you see the sloppy half-azzed way they do the simple stuff, what do you think happened on all those checklist items like critical fastener torque checks and adjustments that they point to as justification for the $400 price?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »

At least it wasn't empty...happened to a buddy's F-250 at a Ford dealer.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2013 FLSTFB
    • CVO3: 2016 MOTO GUZZI
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 05:58:57 AM »

YEP!  if you have the saavy to do it, no one will take care of your ride like you do.  Used to be the thing in the old days.....whose bike ran and looked better amongst all your riding buddies.  So many times these days I hear "I just wanna ride" from people that don't know the starter from the oil filter.  Times HAVE changed.
W  A  L  S  T  I  B  S  F..................................

what a long strange trip its been..........SO FAR

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 06:49:01 PM »

YEP!  if you have the saavy to do it, no one will take care of your ride like you do.  Used to be the thing in the old days.....whose bike ran and looked better amongst all your riding buddies.  So many times these days I hear "I just wanna ride" from people that don't know the starter from the oil filter.  Times HAVE changed.

Yes I agree, no one will care for your stuff like you will. Had dealer change oil once as they had a  oil change special and I took advantage of the price.. I've done the rest as just did the 30,000 mile service last night. It may take me allot longer than dealer but I know what was done and how it was done..
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 06:52:16 PM »

X2
HOGMIKE

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:58:08 AM »

What Jacksonville dealer do you deal with? Mine is scheduled to go in on tuesday @ the Wells rd. location. I'm changing all my fluids tomorrow, before I take it in for the 1000 check up. Do you have any advice for me before I take it in. Thanks!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »

Very well said, for someone that charges 80+ an hr and do crappy work and think they are doing you a favor working on you bike.  I get a lot of enjoyment on working on my own bike and friends bikes as well(never a charge for a friend as long as he has beer).  Sure cuts the cost of a service down.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »

What Jacksonville dealer do you deal with? Mine is scheduled to go in on tuesday @ the Wells rd. location. I'm changing all my fluids tomorrow, before I take it in for the 1000 check up. Do you have any advice for me before I take it in. Thanks!

Sounds to me like you are planning to do pretty much most of what the typical dealer does on a 1000 mile checkup anyway, so why not just complete it yourself?  Other than adjusting the drive belt, which usually does need a small adjustment after the first 500-1000 miles, and checking the fasteners that shouldn't be loose after Harley and the dealer both got paid to make sure they were already tight but often aren't, there isn't much else on that checklist. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 11:42:28 AM »

What GRC Said,,If your changing all the fluids your already doing more then many dealers do, Its basically an inspection that anyone can do. if it makes you feel better to pay an exhorbitent fee go over the bike visually so when you get it back you will be able to spot your new scratches and blemishes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 11:44:57 AM by dartman »

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 02:17:53 PM »

Harley has a checklist on their website.  Type in your VIN and mileage, and up comes a checklist of maintenance tasks to be completed:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Owners/service_checkup.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

I have a service manual for every bike I own, but this really makes record keeping a snap.  YMMV

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 05:18:32 PM »

"Let me fix it Boss, I always wanted to work on a Harley Davidson"
Jesus is Lord

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »

I like to reinvest the money I saved back into the local brewerys, I do my little part to help keep the economy going!!!  :2vrolijk_09:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 09:07:52 PM »

What Jacksonville dealer do you deal with? Mine is scheduled to go in on Tuesday @ the Wells rd. location. I'm changing all my fluids tomorrow, before I take it in for the 1000 check up. Do you have any advice for me before I take it in. Thanks!

DANNER55:

Yup you have the right dealer but wrong location.  BM is where this issue started. See Rick or Jon At OP to get your ticket written and ask for Jan to do the work over there---ALL VERY GOOD PEOPLE!!

As the others stated, you should go ahead and finish the rest of the 1k service youself.  ALSO, change the transmission and primary fluids as well. HD doesn't require it but It is worth the extra $$$.

Be sure to get the Formula Plus oils for your transmission and Primary. Also get the primary inspection gasket and 3 drain plug  "O" rings. It's a kit. There are debates on this but you will need one 32oz bottle for the tranny and one plus about 8 ounces of a 3rd bottle for your primary.  The torque specs for the plugs are 18-21ft lbs. Be sure to change the plug "O" rings and lube them with clean fluid before installing them.

IN MY EXPERIENCE, The Plus fluids are far better for the primary and transmission than other products including Syn 3.

This topic is always debatable but I find that Syn 3 doesn't do as well as Plus does.  Also I was talking with some of the techs and they said that Harley is starting to see tranny mainshaft and bearing failures in medium to high mileage bikes where Syn3 was used regularly in these areas. It's too slippery and causes the roller bearings to slide instead of roll.

The other confirmed "rumor" is that using Syn 3 in some motors before the rings have seated will delay that process and contribute to excessive oil blowby. The "fix" is easy if you experience this issue--convert back to "dinosaur oil" until the rings seat and then convert back to Syn3 or other synthetic of your choice.

I too bought the FL Service Manual and the CVO Service manual, parts manual and electrical manual and plan to use them regularly.

I agree with the recommendation to get the service check list on line for your bike. Be sure to fill it out and keep both an electronic and a paper copy of the completed services with the dates they were done. That way if a question arises about how the bike was maintained, you can produce copies of your work on the official HD forms.

Murphy, I CAN'T AGREE MORE WITH REINVESTING THE MONEY SAVED IN A FEW COLD BEERS!!

BTW: I asked why CVO's don't seem to experience this issue and their answer is that the 110's are "run in" before installation.  

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 01:47:18 PM by CVOStreetglide »

walstibsf

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 02:12:48 AM »

"Let me fix it Boss, I always wanted to work on a Harley Davidson"

So, what are you trying to say? Oh, and by the way, what type of laws do you suffer from?  In-laws, outlaws, the LAW itself, or, perhaps LAWYER-ISM?  Most of these can be cured with a 44 Magnum.

Laters.......

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.