Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Surprise...Excessive Crank Runout  (Read 8645 times)

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Surprise...Excessive Crank Runout
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 04:53:09 PM »

Texas 103, If you have that much runout on your cam side, do you think you would also have a lot of runout on the primary side? And if that is true wouldn't that cause damage in the primary to the charging system etc. Would you feel it cruising at highway speeds? Just curious if someone could comment on those questions. CAHDBIKER

Probably a good point. - I didn't know i had any problems with my 131 until i decided to install a set of gear drive cams. After buying all parts needed, i got stated and tore into the cam chest. First order, measure run-out; WOW 17/1000. Motor ran fine, no vibrations never would have known unless i decided to install the gear drives. OK.. sent the motor to Jim's, they fixed on warranty, i paid extra for welded crank. When i got it back, proceded with my gear drive cam project and guess what? measured 14/1000. Leads me to believe they trued up crank on the bench and never even checked the block for damages done with the first issue much less if they even replaced the crank bearings. Just goes to show what to expect from a well known engine builder..   :nervous:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:30:23 PM by cvobiker »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »

Greg,

They always run the best right before they blow up.  :) :huepfenlol2:
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:08:47 PM »

Damn Harry, that's just mean! LOL!

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »

Greg,

They always run the best right before they blow up.  :) :huepfenlol2:

Sounds like experience speaking... :2vrolijk_21:

:huepfenlol2: :oops: :huepfenlol2:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Half_Crazy

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:31 PM »

sent the motor to Jim's, they fixed on warranty, i paid extra for welded crank. When i got it back, proceded with my gear drive cam project and guess what? measured 14/1000

I wonder what made them assume you wouldn't check it? The guys at Jims know full well what the tolerance should be. Your story gives me chills. A Jims 131 is not cheap... then you pay extra to get the bottom end beefed up/trued and end up at .014" out of the crate? I'd be in jail for my reaction to that. I applaud your self control.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »

I wonder what made them assume you wouldn't check it? The guys at Jims know full well what the tolerance should be. Your story gives me chills. A Jims 131 is not cheap... then you pay extra to get the bottom end beefed up/trued and end up at .014" out of the crate? I'd be in jail for my reaction to that. I applaud your self control.

Trust me,, there was no self control.... We'll see what happens on the third try....

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:53 AM »

Makes me wonder how a business can survive in today's economy when a THIRD try is required.  Obviously quality control and customer service are not considered important enough to deliver a quality product and to hell with repeat customer business.  What ever happened to exceeding a customers expectations?  It's now pay more & get less.

Good Luck and hope they get it right this time.

Ray G.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 03:05:31 PM »

Trust me,, there was no self control.... We'll see what happens on the third try....

That's enough to make a man freak the F out. Since it costs extra to get the crank welded I guess they don't feel that it needs welding? Evidently they don't feel that the crank spinning true is important either... Remind me not to buy anything from Jims.

I'm a frayed knot!

SuperGlideSport

• Junior CVO Member
  • Been there, done that. Time to do it again!

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 05:14:04 PM »

Started to build my '11 this weekend, pulled the cam cover off to check runout and with less than 2K miles had .006 run out. Couldn't believe it..Not going to build it on that weak foundation...Put it back together and going to ride it like I stole it... Cheap Ass Chinese cranks. Look on the bright side...it saved me about $4 -$5K.

I lucked out with mine. 2011 CVO RGU. Pulled apart with a few hundred miles on it to install Andrews 54's. I measured .0015" pinion runout and was surprised as I was prepared for disappointment. Now, I hope it stays there! I was also surprised to see that my stock camplate had a pinion shaft bushing in it! Wasn't supposed to be there. Guess they were using up their stock of cam plates.

Frank
2015 Dyna Switchback
2023 BMW R1250RT
2015 CVO RG Ultra-Sold
Burgundy Blaze & Typhoon Maroon
2013 Road King-Sold
Anniversary Vintage Bronze & Black
2008 Softail Deluxe-Sold
Copperhead Pearl & Red Hot

hornhonker

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 03:31:45 PM »

Maybe they use ones with bushing for high runout cranks, and then hope they hold together for the 2 yrs ?  :nixweiss:
2010 Ultra Limited SE110ci
90 Honda ST1100
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.