Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD 12 inch mini Apes on! Got the tach on too.  (Read 3887 times)

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
HD 12 inch mini Apes on! Got the tach on too.
« on: March 17, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »

Well I have had the stock bars, and after trying the Bombay bars(which are for sale ;D)  I finally went to the dark side and put on some HD 12inch mini apes.   :bananarock:  I wasnt sure if I was going to like them or not.  And  its a big investment for the whole setup.  I am not a real big fan of super tall apes, they are cool for some people just not me, so dont take that wrong if you have them.  I got a great deal on some brand new  bars on FLEBAY.  :2vrolijk_21:  I bought new diamond braided cables, I found the place that makes those diamond braided cables for Harley, so I ordered a custom hyd clutch line.  Its a dead on perfect match.  I had to extend the wires, no big deal, got a great deal for a kit off of Flebay again.  Had to also get the bars mounts, again brand new off of Flebay.  Here is where the problem started.  The bolts go in from the bottom. Very clean look, but no way to mount the tach.  After watching that thing for 5 years I really wanted it on the bike still.  Looked in the HD catalog for something but it said nothing would work.  I have learned this just cause the catalog says it wont fit, doesnt mean it really wont.  The only tach mount  that might  of worked was $104.95, and the dealer said it wouldnt work no if's, ands or buts about it.  I looked in JP, flebay you name it no luck.  I rode the bike all last year with no tach, might not be a big deal to some, but after installing a 6 spd in my bike I was curious to see the drop in my rpm's on the highway in 6th gear.  And I think it just looks cool.  So I found one of those 104.95 clamps brand new on flebay that didnt sell.  I offered the guy $35.00 total for it.  Figured it was worth a shot.  At 35 if I messed it up no real loss.  It said it was for the 1 inch bars, I have the 1.25 bars.  I got the clamp and I can tell you this the bar diameter made no difference, other than you will need some need bolts.  I got new chrome one's and some chrome spacers at Sears.  The clamp actually fit right in, but I couldnt adjust the tach  to where I like it.  All I had to do was grind a very small part of each side on both clamps, and I can adjust it all around now.  You will need some extra slack in the wires cause the clamp does mount right by then, I just ran both of the wires on either side of the spacer making sure not to crimp the wires in the clamp. I took some clear coat touch up paint and painted the sides where I grinded the clmap.  You cant see it when its installed.  The bars are very comfortable, I should of done it years ago. If anyone would like pictures let me know and I will try to put some up.  They look really good on the bike and are much easier to ride on long trips that either of the other bars I had on. Just thought I would pass the info on incase someone esle wanted these bars on thier bike.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
Re: HD 12 inch mini Apes on! Got the tach on too.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »

:worthless:

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »

Here is a tach pic

flynhigh205

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »

Here is a cell phone pic of my bike, I will get a better one, and some of the spacers.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.