Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True-Track  (Read 2372 times)

CarlD1965

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 CVO Road GlideĀ®
True-Track
« on: August 25, 2011, 05:21:52 PM »

Has anyone installed a True-Track on their CVO.
http://www.true-track.com/index.html

I am trying to eliminate the steering wobble at highway speed cornering.

Regards
Carl

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Re: True-Track
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »

Imho, they help alot on the older bikes, but the '09's and above really don't need them. Also, they are not compatible with center stands, if you've ever considered one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:11:18 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:45:39 PM »

Your problem with that wobble is probably because of the steering neck bearings and fall away is not set up properly.  Find a dearler that know how to make these adjustments and have it done.   Finding the right shop my be a chore.  Most dealerships suck at this.  Really don't think a True Track will help you on your bike.    Road Glides are prone to his problem. There are lots of posts on here about your situation.   Good luck.

CarlD1965

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 CVO Road GlideĀ®
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply cvostu,

After a few searches, this does appear to be too common an issue:-
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65401.0

Just one of many threads on this.

I have booked the 09 SERG in to have the steering neck bearings and fall away checked, only one week after a 30K service. I shall update this thread with any work undertaken, and if it worked or not.

Regards
Carl

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 03:09:48 PM »

Thanks for your reply cvostu,

After a few searches, this does appear to be too common an issue:-
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=65401.0

Just one of many threads on this.

I have booked the 09 SERG in to have the steering neck bearings and fall away checked, only one week after a 30K service. I shall update this thread with any work undertaken, and if it worked or not.

Regards
Carl
Sure, why not?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »

I'd like to know if someone has installed one of these on their FXR2/3/ or 4.  At 50 mph and going into a corner, the front end steers one way and the rear goes wherever it wants.  It's scary.  We're getting one anyway, along with some real bushing to replace the H-D Cleveblock set-up.  It would just be interesting to hear of someone else who's done it and to know what they've thought of it.  FXR as the "best handling Harley ever" may be true, but it's no ZX-6.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »

FXR as the "best handling Harley ever" may be true, but it's no ZX-6.

Your right, KBB says a FXR 4 is worth $9,565.00 as opposed to a 2000 ZX-6 being worth $2,420.00.
It's like comparing Rice a Roni to a good steak.
YUP, there is no comparison.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »

To me, it really doesn't matter how much a ZX-6 is worth.  It's faster, handles better, more reliable, parts don't randomly fall off (two different parts in two days), more fuel efficient, etc.  We could compare equal cc's and it would be the same points.  I worked for a H-D dealer for a few years and saw many pre-04 Sportster mirrors snap off due to vibration. 

The point I was trying to make is, for how much an H-D costs, everything about them should be perfect...especially for how long many of the parts and components have been around.  They should have adjustable compression and rebound damping.  They should've had self adjusting primary chain tensioners from the start...or almost close to the start of the Evo's...not well into TC territory.  For as long as they've been making V-twin bikes, there should be zero vibration felt by the rider and there shouldn't be a need change so much for so much money, just to make it have decent horsepower and ergonomics.  For a company that's been around so long, the only thing they do well is paint, chrome, styling (which it's starting to become carbon copies of previous models) and selling clothing.  I'm sorry, I just expect more out of a company that's been around so long, a company I've put my time into.   

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 09:32:02 AM »

My 07 SERK has a True Track on it. She handles great. Unfortunately I didn't ride it before the install to give a comparison.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 11:04:44 AM »

Not sure this is your problem, but I used the bagger brace, I like the design better, it's on an 05. Attached down both sides of the pan instead of stanchions at the back like the Tru-Track. I think these stanchion put more pressure on the threaded holes, have heard of a couple people having these holes go egg shaped after the Tru-track install, not sure if it was the design or a installation issue.

http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/bagger-brace/

Craig

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 12:39:32 PM »

That Bitchin' Bagger Brace looks way more heavy duty than the one from Tru-Track...too bad they don't make one for an FXR.   :(

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »

To me, it really doesn't matter how much a ZX-6 is worth.  It's faster, handles better, more reliable, parts don't randomly fall off (two different parts in two days), more fuel efficient, etc.  We could compare equal cc's and it would be the same points.     

I'll bet these guys care more than I do....  http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/   :2vrolijk_21:

These guys - http://www.zxforums.com/forums/zx-6r-forum/ - also have thread after thread of all the problems that exist on their ZX-6 bikes - just like we do about our bikes.

Grass is always greener elsewhere - until you get there...  ;)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

Take a look at the Glide-Pro website. The owner says the swingarm on the newer frame bikes
can still move and give you a wobble because it is mounted the same as the older bikes. I put
this system on my bike and it fixes the wobble. It feels solid in a turn now.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

To me, it really doesn't matter how much a ZX-6 is worth.  It's faster, handles better, more reliable, parts don't randomly fall off (two different parts in two days), more fuel efficient, etc.  We could compare equal cc's and it would be the same points.  I worked for a H-D dealer for a few years and saw many pre-04 Sportster mirrors snap off due to vibration. 

The point I was trying to make is, for how much an H-D costs, everything about them should be perfect...especially for how long many of the parts and components have been around.  They should have adjustable compression and rebound damping.  They should've had self adjusting primary chain tensioners from the start...or almost close to the start of the Evo's...not well into TC territory.  For as long as they've been making V-twin bikes, there should be zero vibration felt by the rider and there shouldn't be a need change so much for so much money, just to make it have decent horsepower and ergonomics.  For a company that's been around so long, the only thing they do well is paint, chrome, styling (which it's starting to become carbon copies of previous models) and selling clothing.  I'm sorry, I just expect more out of a company that's been around so long, a company I've put my time into.   

Cool Hank.
a company I've put my time into.
Help me here Hank, I'm trying to get the facts in proper perspective.
Working as a parts guy and as a service writer back in the day, almost ten years ago,
Reading that, I take it you worked at a dealership and not for Harley Davidson and then that was almost 10 years ago.
We all would like to believe that everything about our Harley's should be perfect but unfortunately we know better.
They should, they should, they should, but they don't, facts prove to all of us daily that our bikes are not perfect.
That's why we buy the top of their line product and then spend another $5K to $10K on it after the sale to get them to our satisfaction.
Until my father bought his bike and wanted to make changes to it, I really never had a need to look for anything Harley.

Your father is lucky. He owns a FXR 4 and IMO the value of that experience is worth much more than any thrill a ZX-6 could give me.
Hopefully, some day soon you can also experience that thrill (and agony) of Harley ownership.
As some have said, "it's a love/hate relationship" but it's cost we have earned because we paid the price.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hank Hankerson

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:29 PM »

Cool Hank.Help me here Hank, I'm trying to get the facts in proper perspective.Reading that, I take it you worked at a dealership and not for Harley Davidson and then that was almost 10 years ago.
We all would like to believe that everything about our Harley's should be perfect but unfortunately we know better.
They should, they should, they should, but they don't, facts prove to all of us daily that our bikes are not perfect.
That's why we buy the top of their line product and then spend another $5K to $10K on it after the sale to get them to our satisfaction.  
Your father is lucky. He owns a FXR 4 and IMO the value of that experience is worth much more than any thrill a ZX-6 could give me.
Hopefully, some day soon you can also experience that thrill (and agony) of Harley ownership.
As some have said, "it's a love/hate relationship" but it's cost we have earned because we paid the price.

;)

SBB

SBB,

Yes, I worked for the Harley Dealership here in Rochester, MN.  I worked parts, then as a service writer, and also as the warranty guy.  Not for the company directly, but it still brings the same amount of love/pride for the company...and the same dislike issues as well that most people on here share.  It's been seven years since I've left the shop.  In my opinion, there have not been a lot of major advances, just some minor upgrades; self adjusting primary chain tensioners, ABS on certain models, FI on all models, standard larger displacement x2 on most models (you know, 96 and now 103ci...we'll keep the 110 separate because it's not across the board...yet.)  In my opinion, the biggest and most welcome improvement is the new FLT frames in 2009.  While working at the shop, I've ridden hundreds of bikes for short sprints.  Now that I get on one for hundreds of miles, I don't know what everyone's raving about.  

I guess I just expect more in the ride department, because that's what they should be able to do the best.  Going in a straight line is all well and good, but on a CVO bike where everything should be standard, don't you think the handling should match the rest of the bike?  Even in 2000, cartridge forks should've been standard as well as adjustable compression/rebound damped rear shocks.  On the FXR, the front and rear are sprung like a Sporty...for a couple hundred pound more bike.

It's also true it's my father's bike.  I've never said it's mine, just ours as it's something he likes to share with me.  He knows I love the bike too.  He also knows that I hate certain aspects of the bike.  He's so upset because he can't ride it in standard form that he's let me bring it home to Rochester for the remainder of the summer so he doesn't have to see it in his garage...constantly reminding him he can't ride it.  The 100 mile trip from La Crosse for him was enough.  In his words "It's a classic looking Harley, and that's why I like it, but it's one miserable riding b#*$h."  I don't disagree with that.  It runs like a top, "sounds" like a Harley with the Samson's, and I think it looks great.  So yes, it's not my bike and the only thing I put into it are love, miles, and gas.  He's buying the accessories to make it what he thinks it should've always been...the model that H-D riders always seem to say is the greatest handling/riding model ever built.  

He's going to put the Traxxion set up front and rear, ride it, then take it to his few H-D friends' house to show them how he believes an H-D should ride.  After that, it's getting a Screamin' Yellow Pearl sidecar and will be a cruiser with utility.  When I do buy an H-D, it will most likely be this one as I'll be either the one person he'd sell it to or it will be by default because it's willed to me.

Just so you know, I just used ZX-6 because it's something I've ridden for quite a few miles in the past and had a ton of thrills on.  120mph in what seemed to be two blocks is quite the rush.  Not taking the FXR4 anywhere remotely close to that...to many irreplaceable parts.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:47:16 PM by Hank Hankerson »

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 22 queries.