Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38438 times)

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
How many running Full Face helmets....???
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:38:31 PM »

I have the top of the line SHOEI full face, hate it because it is Japanese and looks a bit big, BUT WHAT A SAFE HELMET...

Leaning on 60 now, 40 years with Harley.  I would like a BELL because it is American, but not available here.  In accidents, something like 35% got major jaw/facial damage without a full face.   Leaning on 60, I am partial to keeping my lower jaw, plus the full face is good in the stinging rain and bugs time... I ride with sunnies and the face sheild cocked up full, only to pull it down in the rain or at night with no sunnies...

I like the Nolans, but again no lower face and jaw protection...

Just curious, how many ride with the full face helmet these days????  Maybe I am just getting old...  ???

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:25 PM »

OK I have ridden with full face for years, I love my Shoei but I also have a few others. By far the two Shoei's I have are the most comfortable and they are top rated. Helmets should not be about where they are made but their safety rating and they fit, Have it painted to match the bike, then it will look cool.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 10:29:28 PM by duranh »

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »

Shoei are good helmets.  I'm just too cheap to buy one.

I now own a Scorion EXO 900.  The one J&M sells with the headset built in.  It's a modular, so it's a little heavy, but I like it on long trips.  It has a flip down sun shield that's not dark enough for me so I went to Walmart and bought some window tint and applied it to the sunshield.  Now I can ride directly into the Texas sun without squinting.

Most of the time I wear a half helmet

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:29:54 PM »

I've been wearing a helmet since the early 1970's, and a full face helmet since the early 1980's, Arai initially and Shoei most recently.  As far as I'm concerned, if you're going to wear a helmet, it should be one that provides the maximum protection.  To me, that means full face and Snell. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

After doing a face plant into the back of a van in San Francisco six years ago and a shattered jaw......I now wear a full face.  Well, actually it's a flip face.....Italian made.....Nolan N-103.  The wife wears the Nolan Trilogy.....both helmets are N-COM.  Since she rides her own bike, we're able to talk to each other going down the road.  Sure makes it a lot more convienent than hand signals and sign language. :2vrolijk_21:

By the way, I also don't follow so closely anymore.....well, most of the time. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

TBird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG O/B
    • CVO2: 08 SERK Annie (Traded)
    • CVO3: 05 Springer Classic
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 09:59:42 PM »

Just bought a Nolan N-90, haven't tried it yet still waiting for the snow to go. I usually wear a beanie but my hearing is getting too bad, I need more wind protection.
"We might be divorced but your still my sister"

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 10:15:45 PM »

When I first started riding I used a 3/4 helmet with a snap-on shield. Then I rode for several years without a helmet for comfort reasons in the hot SW sun.

Now I use both 3/4 and full face. 3/4 in the summer, Z1R ACE and a full face Shoei in the wintertime.

Looking into the HJC CL-Max. It's a modular/flip-up helmet and may buy one of those soon. Finding a helmet that fits me is a challenge, since I were a 3x. A lot of manufacturers don't even make anything larger than 2x.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 10:27:24 PM »

I always wear a fullface modular on the open road warmer quieter and keeps the windburn/sunburn off and switch to beanie once I get where Im going
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:43:45 PM »

The wife and I regularly use a Arai 3/4 with flip shields. Hd Boom audio headsets. Rode 7000 mile last august with them to the west coast and back. Wouldn't leave home without them. Most comfortable helmets I have ever worn.
I also wear Arai Full face on my softail rather than a windshield.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:07 AM »

I like the fit, and I must have as they are $700 here in Oz....

I am thinking I will just get rid of the SHOEI on the front...  On paint, a Motorcycle Instructor sort told me they definitely do not recommend you paint them, as it can affect the structure of the helmet.  Ever hear of that?  It would be cool to match up to my 2011.5 BIG BLUE FLHTCUSE6 coming in a few months...

Cowboy, in Australia

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 08:59:35 AM »

I've always been a fan of full face helmets as most of my riding is at highway speeds. Had one unscheduled dismount on a corner that the full face showed its worth many times over. Been a consumer for Bell Helmets for a long time although my latest is a carbon fiber light weight helmet that the dealer sold me on, at this point I not using a windshield or have a fairing and am enjoying the light weight aspect very much. Also, since this is my first Harley I will probably wear a helmet more frequently until I have more miles in the seat (and get the detachable windshield).

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »

Looking at em...Arai with headsets...maybe??

The one I hafta wear now is a carbon fiber beenie, super light. NXT I think...

http://www.nexlsports.com/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:30:08 AM by miker »

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:13 AM »

Ever since watching a buddy hit the pavement without a helmet all the guys in our group ride with F/F helmets. I find that flipping open the visor just a bit reduces the wind noise and adds a little fresh air. Besides, what is your head worth is what you put on it.  :2vrolijk_21:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 11:34:28 AM »

FF modular most of the time.
Can't get my glasses on with the non mod
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »

I run with a FF Modular as welll... esp if its raining!

No helmet law here and daily commute speeds are boring, as LEO have a nother federally funded speeding campaign going on...

I try to wear one all the time.. but my ponytail gets in the way!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.