Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38577 times)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

How do you stop squeaking from the face shield when it is down?

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2011, 12:12:28 PM »

Right after Christmas a few years ago off of the discount table at my local HD, I bought a full face helmet that I wear when it is real cold. Otherwise I wear a HD carbon fiber half helmet 90% of the time.

I also wear the HD carbon fiber half helmet.  I appreciate how light it is and I can testify that after being thrown 20 ft in the air and landing on the pavement the helmet saved my life.  Hitting the pavement and sliding down the road my helmet outer layers were scraped down to the white fiberglass.  I know this helmet works and I hung it on the wall in my garage to remind me every time I climb on my scooter to ALWAYS wear a helmet  :innocent:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2011, 01:27:04 PM »

Shark Evoline 2 ST no longer has a dealer network in the USA... :-\
Nolan 103 giving way to the new N104 come January...  I think I can wait...

I think Pacific Powersports has picked up the distribution for Shark in the US.  I recently found a "deal" on Ebay for the Evoline 2 ST, so ordered it.  It is extremely well made and probably the most functional helmet I've ever seen.  There is an excellent review on the helmet on www.webbikeworld.com.  The chin bar gives the most space between my mouth and the front of the bar than any other helmet I've tried on...probably a function of the chinbar being able to be pulled all the way back to make it a true 3/4 helmet when you want to.  And the eye port is very large.  Well balanced, even though it's a bit on the heavy side.  They run just a bit on the large side....most size Large helmets are 58-59 CM, where the Shark Evoline is 59-60.  I'm 59 so it fits...sort of.  Nice cheek pads and if you wear glasses, it has a softer density foam where the temple part of your glasses go into the helmet...no pressure point there.  I am still trying to determine if the helmet shape fits my head, so have been wearing it for an hour or two at a time around the house to see if any hot spots or pressure points develop...the jury is still out.  I got such a deal that I can always sell it for what I paid and someone will get a new helmet for a great price.

The most difficult thing about purchasing a helmet is determining what shape your head is...Long Oval, Medium Oval, Slightly Round, Neutral (most helmets), Round, Egg Shaped, etc.  If you've got a Long Oval head and try to put it in a Neutral Helmet, it's like trying to put a football inside a basketball...you'll have pressure points either on your forehead, the back of your head, or both.  My head is somewhat oval shaped, I've discovered, so fitting a helmet is not easy for me.  The only company out there who makes helmets specific to head shapes is Arai, and they don't make a modular full face, plus they are expensive, and you can't find many dealers that carry them so you can try them on.  Another great helmet is Schuberth...their C2 is more for oval shaped heads, and the C3 is more for slightly round to round heads...but again, you can't find dealers that keep them in stock, and they are REALLY pricey.  But, the lightest, most areodynamic helmet out there in a Flip Face/Modular helmet.  Another nice helmet is the Scorpion EXO 900...it's a Flip Face, but the chin bar can be removed to make it into a 3/4 if desired...I'm not sure how often one would do that, but it can be done.  It is more for a long oval head shape though.  The Shark Evoline 2 ST is the ONLY helmet I know about that does what it does...removing a chin bar to make a helmet into a 3/4, like you have to do with the Nolan N43 or the Scorpion (there are some other ones out there too), does not seem very practical to me in actual use.  If I decide to keep the Shark, I'll write up a review when I actually ride with the helmet, install an intercom, etc.

Half helmets of any kind are just out of the equation for me...I keep getting a vision of doing a face plant on asphalt at 40 mph...not a pretty picture.  I've done face plants in the snow when skiing groomed trails, and it hurts like hell.  I'd bet that 70% of HD riders wear 1/2 helmets though.  But I'm seeing more and more wearing FF around here.  Whatever blows one's skirt up...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2011, 01:35:20 PM »

I always wear full face. I worked in the trauma center in Miami. Saw too many half faced riders coming in when using half helmet . Noway, never. My choice?
schuberth c3   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:50:41 PM by darth davidson »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »

I always wear full face. I worked in the trauma center in Miami. Saw too many half faced riders coming in when using half helmet . Noway, never. My choce?
schuberth c3   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

In all the research I have done lately on helmets, I would agree that Schuberth is probably the very best helmet on the market today.  It is one of the very lightest (they have a Carbon Fiber C3 out now), and probably the quietest helmet you can buy.  Particularly in a Flip Face...they invented it.  But nobody around here stocks them so I can try one on.

The best helmet, of course, is the one that fits you so well that you forget you've got it on, even on an 8-10 hour ride.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »

In all the research I have done lately on helmets, I would agree that Schuberth is probably the very best helmet on the market today.  It is one of the very lightest (they have a Carbon Fiber C3 out now), and probably the quietest helmet you can buy.  Particularly in a Flip Face...they invented it.  But nobody around here stocks them so I can try one on.

The best helmet, of course, is the one that fits you so well that you forget you've got it on, even on an 8-10 hour ride.

I bit the bullet and bought it online from revzilla.com. They do have a very comprehensive return policy. I do know that the BMW dealers here in Orlando have them in stock, so if you have one close by you might want to give thema a call and find out. I put on the bluetooth collar and works great.

sleepybare

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 CVO ULTRA
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2011, 05:58:10 PM »

My wife and I both have 3/4 and full face helmets by Arai. All of the communication was installed by JM prior to purchase. They are both great helmets and comfortable on the long ride. I have been riding over 40 years and never wore a helmet, but now with the law change I figure if I have to wear a helmet it may as well be of some value. Now after miles on the road I do not mind the helmet thing and even find them somewhat comfortable...

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »

Now after miles on the road I do not mind the helmet thing and even find them somewhat comfortable...
....except in the Summer down South.  :sunny: :divers009: :cool26: :vrolijk27: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:26 AM »

There's a lot of good info here so I hesitate to start a new topic.  I'm looking into getting a fullface helmet for long rides (no windshield here) and can get a deal on the Bell Star helmet. 

http://www.bellsports.com/powersports/helmets/street/star

Does anyone ride with this?  Can you offer a review of it? 

Thanks!

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »

I run half helmet when I can, and full face in the cooler months.  I have been wanting to get a light weight, as cool as can be full face to extend the time I feel like I can survive down here wearing it in the heat.  Love all the information people have been posting.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »

I run half helmet when I can, and full face in the cooler months.  I have been wanting to get a light weight, as cool as can be full face to extend the time I feel like I can survive down here wearing it in the heat.  Love all the information people have been posting.

I'm the same way.  This would be my first fullface and of all the reviews I've seen of fullface helmets in this price range, the Bell Star appears to be the coolest (as in airflow) and on the lighter weight side.  Interested to hear someone's take on this from the site. 

fos41

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2012, 09:24:43 PM »

I wear a Bell full face, wearng Bell full faced since the 70`s both dirt and street. I have been considering getting a open face helmet, but seeing a lady and here husband today at a resturant in Texas think they had been to Sturgis or heading there both of them had terrible wind and sunburn!

That alone helped sway my desision on that topic!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

I wear a Bell full face, wearng Bell full faced since the 70`s both dirt and street. I have been considering getting a open face helmet, but seeing a lady and here husband today at a resturant in Texas think they had been to Sturgis or heading there both of them had terrible wind and sunburn!

That alone helped sway my desision on that topic!
Yeah, and not just the sun & wind....I got a bee sting on my temple the other day....went up under my glasses and the strap of my 1/2 helmet.  The full-face is hot, but doesn't hurt that much. :'(  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HHP

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Street Glide Ruby Red
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 03:14:06 AM »

Hi all. Check the Shark Evoline Series 3. I bought mine 10 weeks ago (1000 miles) and I am very much satisfied. It is the best of both worlds. You can drive full or 3/4 and you can change in seconds. Just IMHO.

Ride safe and have fun.
Sportster 883 / Dyna Super Glide / E-Glide Standard / Heritage Springer / Heritage Classic / Night Rod / Softail Deluxe / CVO Street Glide

2013SERG

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2013, 10:33:03 PM »

Yesterday is the 1st time in years that I used a Full Face, I did back in the 80's when I rode sportsbikes, I really enjoyed it alot.
I can deal with it, I just have to shave off my Goat so it doesnt get pinched and pulled by the helmet, Im getting tired of the Goat anyway :)

Cheers.
2013 SERG Longhorn Burnt Orange
D&D Fat Cat
Power commander
Fueling 574 Reaper cams
C&C custom gel seat, pillion and tour pack rest.
Buky custom made these 12's x 1'&1/2
Custom paint done by Doug Starbuck in Riverside CA.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 21 queries.