Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38440 times)

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »

Recently purchased Schubreth C3 and C3W Modular Full Face Helmets for my wife and myself.  Never really rode with anything other than Half helmets and the 1 Harley Full Face helmet.   Totally sold on the Schubreth's.  Top notch and Service from North America Schubreth out of California.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59592.0;all

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

Nothing but Full Face Modular...currently the Nolan N-102.  I wear glasses, so it just makes getting everything on/off that much easier with the flip face, plus when you get stuck in stop and go traffic, or stuck at a red light in the hot summer, you can flip it up with one hand and get some fresh air, if needed.  I have worn 1/2 helmets a few times, but hated them...I actually think they are hotter because you get the full brunt of the hot air hitting you square in the face...it's like a furnace in front of your face.  But, it gets really hot here in Alabama.

But the main reason for a FF is that I'm old and ugly enough without leaving part of my face on the pavement if that ever happens (knocking on wood).  I just got through reading an article written by an intern (MD) who is also a rider, about the different kinds of road rash, which is actually a burn...it is not pleasant reading, but I can assure you that it made me fully realize the importance of wearing as much gear as I can stand, even in hot weather.  The worst kind of road rash, which is like a 1st degree burn, takes YEARS to get over, involving skin grafts, etc, and even then a person may never have feeling on that part of his/her skin.  I damn sure don't want that happening to my face...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 01:07:01 PM »

I don't wear a helmet most of the time, but when I did I had a full face. I only kept the shield down when it was really cold, or raining hard, felt claustrophobic with it closed up!

Craig

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 01:10:24 PM »

I always use full face. I worked in a trauma center. Believe me wear a full face or good modular. I use Schuberth. Very expensive, but my head content is worth it.

http://www.schuberth.com/us/home.html

Check out this thread also

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59592.0;all

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »

I like the fit, and I must have as they are $700 here in Oz....

I am thinking I will just get rid of the SHOEI on the front...  On paint, a Motorcycle Instructor sort told me they definitely do not recommend you paint them, as it can affect the structure of the helmet.  Ever hear of that?  It would be cool to match up to my 2011.5 BIG BLUE FLHTCUSE6 coming in a few months...

Cowboy, in Australia

Absolutely true, and that is also what any helmet manufacturer I'm aware of will tell you.  The various solvents used in the painting process, and the heat involved in the baking process if they bake it, can have serious unintended consequences for the integrity of the impact absorbing materials.  You might ask, how does the manufacturer paint them and not affect the safety of the helmet?  Very simple; they paint the outer shell first, then install the impact absorbing material and the comfort padding last.

If you really want to have a helmet painted, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer first to see if they offer the service or if they can recommend someone capable of doing so without compromising the integrity of the helmet.  I know there are plenty of places that will paint helmets, and there are plenty of folks on this site who have had helmets painted.  I don't know of any that have had the helmets tested afterward to make sure they still met all applicable safety standards, however.  If you wear a helmet just to be legal, and don't really care about protection, go for it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 01:42:28 PM »

Absolutely true, and that is also what any helmet manufacturer I'm aware of will tell you.  The various solvents used in the painting process, and the heat involved in the baking process if they bake it, can have serious unintended consequences for the integrity of the impact absorbing materials.  You might ask, how does the manufacturer paint them and not affect the safety of the helmet?  Very simple; they paint the outer shell first, then install the impact absorbing material and the comfort padding last.

If you really want to have a helmet painted, I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer first to see if they offer the service or if they can recommend someone capable of doing so without compromising the integrity of the helmet.  I know there are plenty of places that will paint helmets, and there are plenty of folks on this site who have had helmets painted.  I don't know of any that have had the helmets tested afterward to make sure they still met all applicable safety standards, however.  If you wear a helmet just to be legal, and don't really care about protection, go for it.

Jerry

X2

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 01:45:15 PM »

SHOEI Multi-tec all the time, ride year-a-round here. Use dark tint shield with the Fog-City dark band fitted to inside daytime and clear with pin-lock fog insert at nite. Love the helmets.

GMAN SERGU

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2011, 05:54:50 PM »

Being riding since I was 8 y/o, minibike, real cool :2vrolijk_21:. Had many brands after and always wear a full face helment. Right now have an Arai quantum 2 and my wife wears a shoe FF also.  :drink:

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 12:44:05 AM »

I have riden in a full face helmet for a few years now. I have a Arai and a Fulmer both work out good. I agree they offer more lower jaw protection but visability can be obscured some. I use them because I require Glasses to see clearly.  Lost my glasses wearing a 1/2 helmet on the hiway so I switched. Missouri is a helmet required state.
I got used to them.Rick

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »

I have not been wearing a full face but this new one from Bell looks like a nice modular helmet for the price.  I tried it on at the shop and felt a little claustrophobic but most likely due to the fact I am normally in a half or 3/4 or not one at all. 

http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/revolver.html

If anyone is using this one your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:10 AM »

I would wear a flip-face helmet (don't like a full face with glasses) if I could only find one that fits with my broad jawline. I have tried a 3XL modular and it still crushed my jaw. Wish they made more helmets to fit a broader face.

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »

Harley Davidson 98211-10VM which my dealer threw in after my $crew#%g on my last bike purchase. I am happy with it, I too have glasses that I like to wear and being a modular, it makes it possible and easily so! I also have done the face plant riding without a full face and had wired jaw and broken/chipped teeth...... It still hurts in weather changes nearly 40 years later... And a few years ago I hit a dog and I did a face plant on asphalt w/ Shoei and without it God only knows what would have happened, it distroyed the helmet but surely saved my face at a minimum.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/mcm_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448773796&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302285451&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302285451&bmUID=1301320855408&bmLocale=en_US

« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:05:41 AM by petewerner »
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »

Hello Guys,

Great response on this... Before I paint my Shoei I wll certainly email them to see if I can and just not bake it.....

On this Harley Helmet show above: Petewerner, I AM very interested but how good is it?
I like this option because of two things: Loyalty to the Heritage of HD, where I do not like the Shoei idea Honda thing... You know... :nixweiss:
Secondly, this helmet would HAVE to be made to wear with the Harley supplied intercom and Bluetooth for my new FLHTCUSE6 BIG BLUE coming to Australia for me in July....   
I miss a lot of calls, and this HD helmet would go with Bluetooth for my phone, right?  And intercom or other communications, right?

So, how do I tell how good the F/F is.... Shoei has the strongest toughest reputation from Professionals...   Besides beating up the Shoei and the HD F/F with a sledge, how would you rate the HD helmet in comparison?

Regards from Australia, where my head has enough scars already...  :pumpkin:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 12:42:17 PM »

ALL HD helmets are made by somebody else, and not all of them are made by the same company.  To my knowledge, none of them are made by Shoei.  I have not thoroughly researched this, but as a general rule, modular full face helmets do not pass SNELL standards because of the modular feature, but there may be some out there that do now.  However, if you wear glasses, the tradeoff is worth it to me.

The HD Boom Headsets, which will come with your bike, will clamp to most helmets with a STRAIGHT lower lip on the bottom side of the helmet.  They will NOT clamp to a helmet design like Nolan, which has a curved bottom.  I can't answer your question about the Bluetooth stuff, as I do not want to talk on the phone while riding.  One thing I do is pair the phone with the GPS so that I can tell when a call comes in, and then decide if it's important enough for me to pull over and talk to someone, which is rarely the case.  But, I'm not a big talker on the phone, and I don't have a business, etc.  If my Sister calls (which is rare), then I'll probably pull over and call because something is up if she calls me.  Everybody else can leave a voice mail.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 08:33:57 PM »

OK,
Thank you,

Brothers, how do we tell if the HD F/F is a good helmet??  Besides me buying one and giving it a 6'1" Overhead slam dunk to the concrete to see if it breaks...   :nixweiss:   Like the looks, but like my noggin better...   :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 21 queries.