Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38446 times)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »

Right after Christmas a few years ago off of the discount table at my local HD, I bought a full face helmet that I wear when it is real cold. Otherwise I wear a HD carbon fiber half helmet 90% of the time.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

rydwHim

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate
    • CVO2: 2008 XL1200C Black/Orange (wife's)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 11:01:09 PM »

OK,
Thank you,

Brothers, how do we tell if the HD F/F is a good helmet??  Besides me buying one and giving it a 6'1" Overhead slam dunk to the concrete to see if it breaks...   :nixweiss:   Like the looks, but like my noggin better...   :2vrolijk_21:

Cowboy, I believe what TC says is true.  The HD helmet is a branded product made by another helmet manufacturer, I don't think it's Shoei or Schuberth.  If another F/F helmet got consistently great feedback it would be worth the time to investigate and see who made the HD.  Since I've never heard of another helmet that consistently gets as high marks as the Shoei, I wouldn't even investigate it.  I've worn Arai modulars and Bell modulars before, but now wear a Shoei Multitec modular after hearing others sing their praises.  I have found it to be the best for wind noise, venting, visibility, rain, cold/hot weather, glasses, visors and the latching system still works "good as new" after many flips up and down. 

I believe that many lids will protect your noggin, it's how well it performs in a variety of conditions that adds true value over the long haul. 
"Always be prepared for the unexpected"
"Surprised Eddie? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now"  Clark W. Griswold

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2011, 12:37:50 AM »

My options just ground to a full halt...

The HD helmet shown is not legal here in Oz (Australia).....  No one has paid for the ADR testing to make it legal tender...

Not seen Bell here either...

Guess I am stuck with my Shoei, but that is OK, it is a very good helmet and fits me like a second skin...

Without the Australian Design Rules approval sticker, in an accident you can get in trouble with your medical insurance...  :nixweiss:
That is the quick end of that one...  And I really liked the look of that HD helmet...  :pumpkin:  Oh well , maybe next year or so it will come in.

Cowboy..

Luigi

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2011, 07:15:47 AM »

On trips we both wear Shoei f/f with scala intercom. Had a dismount around 50 miles per hour on a dirt road( dual ride bike) Arai f/f saved my life, broke a bunch of ribs took the helmet down to the core but lived to ride another day. Hate the full face but wear everyday. Catch hell  from my bro's but I always tell them I do not want to finance my wife's next husband. Ride often-ride straight!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

On trips we both wear Shoei f/f with scala intercom. Had a dismount around 50 miles per hour on a dirt road( dual ride bike) Arai f/f saved my life, broke a bunch of ribs took the helmet down to the core but lived to ride another day. Hate the full face but wear everyday. Catch hell  from my bro's but I always tell them I do not want to finance my wife's next husband. Ride often-ride straight!

:2vrolijk_21:     ;D

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mwg

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG "Beast"
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 09:32:32 AM »

I have an older modular style HD branded helmet that I used for years. It was/is a pretty good helmet. It is definitely a Chinese made helmet; if I recall it is  a re-branded HJC Helmet. Most of the HD helmets I have seen are either a HJC or KBC  helmets. I have since bought a Shoei X11 that I use most days although I admit I often use a half Helmet.

RLTW

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

Here is a great source for all things related to gear, and they do a really good job on their helmet reviews:  http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

jiml53

• 1K CVO Member
  • Silent Service

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 blk #535
    • CVO2: '02 FXDX-T
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »

I'm a big fan of full face helmets been wearing them for years. My last four have all been Arai. Really like the way they fit.

jim   :coolblue:
Deep Silent Fast Deadly

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2011, 11:03:49 PM »

I wear a full face most of the time although in the Florida heat there are times i will use my half helmet.  This past December I was that the PRI show (Performance Racing Industries) in the Orlando Convention center and I spoke with the people from Bell.   they have a new line of helmets coming out up to 4x they said.   Might be worth the inquiry if you wanted a Bell.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »

Have Shoei Multi-Tec, Shoei 3/4 & Harley.  Wear the Harley 1/2 when it's really hot and the FF or 3/4 the rest of the time.  The 3/4 seams to be the most quiet.  For some reason the FF seams really loud??
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

I think the FF is louder because the sound in the helmet has no where to go. If I open my face shield it helps to quiet the helmet a little.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

I wear a full face most of the time although in the Florida heat there are times i will use my half helmet.  This past December I was that the PRI show (Performance Racing Industries) in the Orlando Convention center and I spoke with the people from Bell.   they have a new line of helmets coming out up to 4x they said.   Might be worth the inquiry if you wanted a Bell.

4X , that's what I call a big melon !!! :drink:

KKM

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2011, 05:50:07 PM »

I am now... Nolan 43 Trilogy.
Kevin

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »

Wear an Ikon full face on long trips and various half helmets around town and once I get to my destination. Found a Ikon in the same red as my bike and had my painter do the gold leaf flames and graphics and apply clear coat. Won't effect the structural safety of the helmet.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=36404.30
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:09:17 PM by Buy early »

NW Glider

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 VRSCSE (Sold)
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »

Been using full face helmets since the 80's all of them have been Shoei helmets.

After an idiot kid in a VW bug cage knocked me down with his drivers side front fender and door (said he didn't see me...), I recieved some road rash and the helmet was a mess, but my head and face were fine. Don't settle for less than "full face coverage".  :soapbox:

John
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 22 queries.