Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38551 times)

Onewheat

Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2011, 11:29:27 PM »

I have been wearing full-face since I started riding in '83 - first Bell, then Arai, now Shoei.  I think the Arai Profile fits my head shape best, but the almost $500 for a solid color helmet got me into a Shoei, that fits almost as well - very comfy and cool paint with a spare shield for much less $$.  I got tossed over a guard rail several years ago in a highside that left a nice deep gouge up the side of my helmet from the guard rail I-beam post in the cheek to temple area - a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet wouldn't have helped me much in that situation and in addition to the collarbone injury, I would have been bleeding profusely and not sure I would have been able to ride myself to help.

rheston

• Charlton
  • Charlton

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2011, 07:09:53 AM »

I tend to wear FF helmets in the winter, when it's threatening to rain and on cross country trips.  My wife does the same when she's on her bike.  We both lean toward the Shoei.

I was on a x-country when I totalled my '05 FLSTC three years ago when a deer wanted to ride on the front of my bike as I was pushing 55mph.  I too had some rash but my leathers and helmet took the brunt of the damage.  I was never so thankful for that FF!  :2vrolijk_21: 
summa vi vehere, celeritate vehere, procul vehere
2008 FLHX
2005 FLSTC
1999 FLHRC-I

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25:08 PM »

JCZ has made quite a few suggestions here over the past few years....mods (more than quite a few), shoes, sun shirts, etc.  After reading his post on this thread 3 weeks ago, Viv and I have now gone to FF helmets.  It took 3 weekends to find one that fit comfortably.....now its just getting use to the difference in vision compared to the old 1/2 helmets.  Hope we never need these things but just in case............."thanks in advance"...........Russ
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 05:44:09 AM »

Just bought a Schuberth C3 for all the reasons noted above. Half my face hanging out just started to bother me. To each his own.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2011, 03:52:20 PM »

Just bought the new Shoei Quest after reading reviews on how quiet they are...  LOVE it. Rode for a week in the rain and it seals up very nicely and keeps wind/rain/noise out. Most comfortable FF I've ever used although I've spent most of my life riding 1/2 this one is a keeper.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2011, 04:11:49 PM »

When you have time a report on what you think will be appreciated.
Thanks Thinking of getting the C3 myself..

Look at this thread

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=59592.0

rdk

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2011, 07:45:58 PM »

I currently ride with Shoei X-Eleven, or Multitec, both are FF, and are some of the best I have ever worn.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2011, 08:12:29 PM »

JCZ has made quite a few suggestions here over the past few years....mods (more than quite a few), shoes, sun shirts, etc.  After reading his post on this thread 3 weeks ago, Viv and I have now gone to FF helmets.  It took 3 weekends to find one that fit comfortably.....now its just getting use to the difference in vision compared to the old 1/2 helmets.  Hope we never need these things but just in case............."thanks in advance"...........Russ

Just saw this for the first time.  Just sharing my personal experience Russ.  I was always a knucklehead Russ.....I could never learn from somebody else' experience.....always had to learn it the hard way.  Then I always look back and tell myself "man, why didn't I listen to him when he was telling me?" :nixweiss:

Like you, I hope you never really "need" it but you have them if you do. 

An added feature.....full face with a dark tint shield your head is actually cooler than with a half shell or beanie.  Of course I didn't believe it when I read it......but when I experienced the first summer when it got into the triple digits.  Not saying it's cool inside when it's 105F out.....but cooler (because the sun is not beating directly on you) than without the full face and UV protected face shield. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »

Just saw this for the first time.  Just sharing my personal experience Russ.  I was always a knucklehead Russ.....I could never learn from somebody else' experience.....always had to learn it the hard way.  Then I always look back and tell myself "man, why didn't I listen to him when he was telling me?" :nixweiss:

Like you, I hope you never really "need" it but you have them if you do. 

An added feature.....full face with a dark tint shield your head is actually cooler than with a half shell or beanie.  Of course I didn't believe it when I read it......but when I experienced the first summer when it got into the triple digits.  Not saying it's cool inside when it's 105F out.....but cooler (because the sun is not beating directly on you) than without the full face and UV protected face shield. :2vrolijk_21:

FF is great.. if you arent  stuck in afternoon traffic.... one of the main reasons I use a modular for my commutes into town. Its so humid here it gets freaking HOT in the afternoons... glad I dont have that commute too often now.

Gonna go take a look and see what the local bike shops have... might try the Shoei... the KBC I have now looks exaclt like the HD helmet with the exception of the color scheme.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »

FF is great.. if you arent  stuck in afternoon traffic.... one of the main reasons I use a modular for my commutes into town. Its so humid here it gets freaking HOT in the afternoons... glad I dont have that commute too often now.

Gonna go take a look and see what the local bike shops have... might try the Shoei... the KBC I have now looks exaclt like the HD helmet with the exception of the color scheme.

Actually, it's modular that we wear (Nolan N-103), also. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2011, 11:24:58 PM »

Actually, it's modular that we wear (Nolan N-103), also. :2vrolijk_21:

yeah.. the thread title is a little misleading unless you read the whole thing...

I'm about to undergo change which may effect the way a helmet fits, so should wait till thats over and done with....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 05:14:27 PM »

I run full face. I dont have a windshield on my bike, so its mandatory for me. I hit a cicada at 70mph once, on the knee, and I have zero desire to have one smack me in the face. Add to that, dust, dirt, the jackass in front of me he likes dumping cigarettes/ash out the window.... honestly I dont know how you can ride a windshieldless bike without one.

I have a Harley branded HJC, which has been ok. Its not the safest helmet on the market, and while its comfortable, its loud and the airflow is pretty weak up top. So, in the Texas sun it heats up awful fast.

Just ordered a Nolan N90 this weekend, and should have that in a day or so. Looking forward to the change in lids.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »

Just ordered a Nolan N90 this weekend, and should have that in a day or so. Looking forward to the change in lids.

Let us know what you think of the N90, i have looked at them a few times and it seems like a decent helmet.

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2011, 01:17:39 PM »

Let us know what you think of the N90, i have looked at them a few times and it seems like a decent helmet.

Very impressed with the N90 so far. Ventilation is a LOT better across the top compared to the HJC I had been running. The HJC had good chin ventilation, but the top was poor. The Nolan gets a lot more airflow, and is far cooler in the hot Texas summer. :)

Fit on the helmet is excellent, and while it snug, its comfortable. I actually put the helmet on and wore it around the house when it showed up, just to looked for pressure points and squeeze. I had no issues whatsoever.

The noise is SUBSTANTIALLY better than the HJC. Despite both having intergrated sun shades, the Nolans system is side mounted with a much small button. Still no issues moving the slider with gloves, but no rattle like I have with the HJC. The Nolan has an airdam that mounts under the chin that cuts down the wind noise from under the chin. Very quiet helmet in comparison to the HJC or even my buddies Shoei.

Tab on the faceshield is centered, so you can operate it with either hand, as opposed to left mount only on my HJC. The Nolan has about the same weight as the HJC, but its smaller in profile, and doenst feel heavy at all.

Most importantly for me, the Nolan has a pretty good rating from SHARP, and most importantly the chin bar stayed locked through 100% of the impact tests. There were only a couple of helmets that met that number, and the Cabergs aren't available in the US.

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 07:45:10 AM »

It would be hard to argue against that a full face helmet offers the maximum protection available.  I wear one sometimes (Harley flip face).  In the rain or cold, they are beyond compare. But we do give up some things when wearing them.  IMHOP vision is somewhat reduced, so is hearing and smell. The trade offs are personal, but if the weather looks good I wear a half helmet (note: I live in Florida, a NO helmet State, {for now}).  If I'm going on a trip, I use a helmet sized cargo net for the full face, if we run into a storm the change is made. 

Owl
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.