Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38605 times)

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 08:57:37 AM »

I've ridden with a full face since the 80's .. frequently get flak about it but I just tell it's my choice.   I have a Shoei RF1000 , next year probably an RF1100 . I has 2 Schuberts before , both great
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 09:47:07 AM »

Hey Nidan, I would strongly recommend the shoei qwest. Very quiet and comfy.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »

I hate to admit to the very safe FF helmet riders that I use a half helmet most of the time. I was brought up on dirt bikes in the seventies and we rode with 3/4 shells and face shield. I do use one of those on the Dyna for wind noise and possible rainy days. I really do not like it as much especially on a hot simmer day. Most Harley dider in this part of the country use the half style with quite a few using the non DOT ultra thin skull caps, barely better than a ball cap. In the neighboring state of KY they use no helmets at all, even in the cold winter months. My head would freeze to death and that is when I enjoy more coverage.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »

I hate to admit to the very safe FF helmet riders that I use a half helmet most of the time. I was brought up on dirt bikes in the seventies and we rode with 3/4 shells and face shield. I do use one of those on the Dyna for wind noise and possible rainy days. I really do not like it as much especially on a hot simmer day. Most Harley dider in this part of the country use the half style with quite a few using the non DOT ultra thin skull caps, barely better than a ball cap. In the neighboring state of KY they use no helmets at all, even in the cold winter months. My head would freeze to death and that is when I enjoy more coverage.

I had 1/2 helmets, along with my Nolan N102's back a few years ago.  Personally...and this doesn't make good common sense...I found them to be hotter in the summer than my FF modular.  There was something about getting that blast of hot air right in my face that was uncomfortable for me, plus I didn't care for the air getting under the helmet and making it feel like it was a parachute attached to my head.  On top of that, the wind noise was awful at speed.  They were OK when just riding around town, but with the Nolan I can flip the front up and get almost the same result...look like a conehead though.   ;D I had them attached to the TP on a trip to Hot Springs a few years ago with one of those cargo net things...the helmets fell off somewhere in Memphis and I never replaced them.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

Terry you subtly hit on the other factor and that is cosmetics. For some reason the half helmet represented the Harley image and the FF is for crotch rockets. I do wonder if helmet choice is not influenced by rider age or maturity with most of our members being in the more aged, affluent and educated and that may place safety above cool. ;)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2011, 12:14:14 PM »

Terry you subtly hit on the other factor and that is cosmetics. For some reason the half helmet represented the Harley image and the FF is for crotch rockets. I do wonder if helmet choice is not influenced by rider age or maturity with most of our members being in the more aged, affluent and educated and that may place safety above cool. ;)

There is some truth to that.  Where I live, most of the people riding Harley type bikes (that includes Jap bike wannabes) wear half helmets, or even the skull cap (tupperware bowls) type, while nearly every crotch rocket rider has a FF on.  For the crotch rocket riders, it's probably not only the "look" that they are after, but also the fact that you're not getting much wind protection on those bikes, as your head is generally hanging out over the gas tank.  Demographics would probably support the assumption that most CVO owners are older, with more disposable income...that being a generalization, of course.  I certainly fit into the "older" catagory.  My reason for a FF helmet is pretty simple:  I get this visual of my face impacting either another vehicle or the pavement, and it's not a pleasant visual.  Not only am I vain enough not to want half my face torn off or disfigured, I don't heal as fast as I used to, so don't want to take any more chances than are necessary in riding a bike when it comes to gear.  Skin grafts or rebuilding my nose and chin is just not something I want to even think about having done.  If I could stand it, I'd wear leather chaps and a leather jacket year 'round, but summer temps just don't allow that where I live.  40-80 degrees are my favorite riding temps, 'cause it allows me to wear all my good gear.  When I was 22 years old and immortal  ;), I didn't think about this kind of stuff, but being 59 now, I'd like to maintain my mobility for as long as possible...and what looks I have left.  I actually cringe every time I see someone riding with shorts, improper foot gear, etc. :nervous:

TTS Mastertune

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2011, 04:01:52 PM »

TC I do not like talking to you about this. >:( Because you make valid points and expose my juvenile behaviors. :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2011, 04:45:42 PM »

TC I do not like talking to you about this. >:( Because you make valid points and expose my juvenile behaviors. :huepfenlol2:
Dr.D, just dive into your denial phase.....you don't have to deal with common sense & reality on this site. :jester:  har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

cyril

• I
  • Elite CVO Member
  • If it ain`t broke keep fixin it till it is !
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2011, 05:34:18 PM »

Scuberth C3 smoth flip front with internal sun visor & good venilation. JMO
If it aint broke keep fixin it till it is

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »

Dr.D, just dive into your denial phase.....you don't have to deal with common sense & reality on this site. :jester:  har.  spyder
I hear ya and will driving down that road. When people ask me how I am I tell them I think I am OK and if they know any better don't tell me.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

The wife and I just bought n90's with blue tooth and used them on the Tahoe trip. Very happy with them and were especially nice when riding in the rain. Only issue was as I flipped up mine leaving a gas station the small piece at the bottom of the chin flew off and I later found it melted to my pipe. I actually didn't miss it riding and access to the flip up is easier.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »

The wife and I just bought n90's with blue tooth and used them on the Tahoe trip. Very happy with them and were especially nice when riding in the rain. Only issue was as I flipped up mine leaving a gas station the small piece at the bottom of the chin flew off and I later found it melted to my pipe. I actually didn't miss it riding and access to the flip up is easier.

That little piece is something to keep an eye on...it's actually better not to have it on in the warmer months, but it's really nice in colder weather  :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

Arwyn

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:07 AM »

That little piece is something to keep an eye on...it's actually better not to have it on in the warmer months, but it's really nice in colder weather  :2vrolijk_21:

I have the same helmet. That is the chin stop to keep air from coming up from under the chin. It does cut down some noise, but in the summer, its not really that big of a deal to leave it off.

I agree though, it does come off very easily, and its annoying to try and get it back in. Other than that, the helmet is pretty nice. I dont have the bluetooth system on mine yet, too paranoid to put one in yet. :)

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #73 on: June 20, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »

FYI...I talked about this in another post but worthy to say again, I bought the Shoei Qwest and can't say enough GOOD things about it. Comfy, quiet, good vents ect. Highly recommended.

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »

Schuberth C3 with bluetooth SRC.  IMO this is one of the best helmets made and the bluetooth feature allows for 2 other intercom units in addition to GPS.  Just finished a 1500 mile ride (West Coast GTG) and myself and bsr very happy with the helmet.  As with any helmet purchase, try it on first.....all makes fit your head a little differently and some just feel better due to the shape of the head and the design of the helmet.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 22 queries.