Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: How many running Full Face helmets....???  (Read 38596 times)

HDSLK

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
Re: How many running Full Face helmets....???
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »

I always wear a full face... Had an HD full face and hated it. At 65 mph + it wanted to pull my head right off. Switched to the Suomy D20 modular and I love it. Even at high speed, it is very aerodynamic and much quieter than the HD helmet.

BH
“Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point.” C.S. Lewis

Pegus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE2
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »

I use a HD 3/4, but reading this thread motivates me to also get a FF for "out of town" riding.

Can't make my mind up what I think of the design of the BMW 6 flip-up helmet.

Opinions?

Don't postpone until tomorrow what you can do the day after that. Ride on!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2011, 04:50:21 PM »

I found the audio in that commercial disconcerting....almost modulation of the voice to the point of being distracting and hard to understand.  Trying too hard to be modern/cool.  :-[ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Pegus

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2011, 05:10:21 AM »

Agree to that, and not very informative either, but interesting design!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2011, 05:50:37 AM »

Agree to that, and not very informative either, but interesting design!
yep.  Glad that some are spending the effort to make helmets better in lots of areas, since we have to spend so much time wearing one.  Lighter is so much better  and cooler and smaller.  We'll have to see/feel it to really know.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »

Put me in the list of stuborn boneheads I guess. No helment when allowed.......plastic toy when forced. Full Face is the worst ride I have ever had.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »

Put me in the list of stuborn boneheads I guess. No helment when allowed.......plastic toy when forced. Full Face is the worst ride I have ever had.
Full face helmet is a blessing on those cold winter rides, esp. on the Interstate like a early spring ride to Daytona when it's usually sleeting or cold rain....only thing is you can't hear your tunes as well.  spyder

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »

Full face helmet is a blessing on those cold winter rides, esp. on the Interstate like a early spring ride to Daytona when it's usually sleeting or cold rain....only thing is you can't hear your tunes as well.  spyder

I hardly ever run my stereo through the bike's speakers any more...Installed J&M headsets in the Nolans.  It ain't Bose, but it's pretty decent.  I rarely have to turn the volume up past 4-5 bars, and can still hear things around me just fine.

The reason I like a FF helmet, besides the fact that it offers better protection for my old noggin', is that the helmet becomes part of the air flow when riding the bike, and in inclement weather, you just can't beat them.  The brief time I had half helmets, I never found them comfortable at speed...cruising around town, they were fine, but on the highway, they sucked.  And they seriously sucked when it rained. Not wearing a helmet is never an option for me...I never forgot the time I fell off a wall playing when I was about 6 years old and busted my head open, and that was about a 6 foot fall.  It makes my butt pucker up to think about my head hitting the pavement, even at 15 mph.

To me, the modular (flip face) helmets are kinda' the best of all worlds because you can flip them up when stopped in hot weather...you look like a goober, but it's functional.

That BMW helmet looks very interesting...I am particularly interested in it's light weight.  Wonder what the price point is?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Pegus

• Senior CVO Member

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2011, 12:33:56 PM »

That's enough to make me have to tote it into the cafe with me.   har.  spyder

You got that right, Spyd.

I'll have to take a look at one of these at the local Beemer dealership, if they've got them in stock.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »

Rode to work this morning on the freeway and 90+% of the riders I saw are riding with FF helmets. Nice to see riders reducing unnecessary risks.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »

I have been bouncing back and forth about wearing a FF vs. my half helmet. I have even gone so far as to have the FF sitting on the bike and at the last minute switched to my half. Then several weeks ago a member of my HOG Chapter went down on the freeway suffering head and face injuries and is on a long road to recovery. That was the final decision maker for me. I currently own a HJC AC12 Carbon, it is a very comfortable helmet and is fairly quiet on the road. I have a Chatterbox set up in it, but have been looking at the new FS15 Carbon, it's even lighter than my current helmet and I'll install the new XBI Bluetooth set up in mine and my wife's helmet. Carbon cost a lot more, but the weight difference is well worth it. (And it looks really cool too)
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:33 AM »

My last three rides to Daytona, Spring rally twice, and biketoberfest have been in the rain for at least 375 of the miles.

I can tell you, wearing my 1/2 I was sure thinking a full face would be much better.

Wife switched to a full face two years ago for her and her bike.  I have been thinking about it.  I just never liked them, even on dirt bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:46 AM »

My last three rides to Daytona, Spring rally twice, and biketoberfest have been in the rain for at least 375 of the miles.

I can tell you, wearing my 1/2 I was sure thinking a full face would be much better.

Wife switched to a full face two years ago for her and her bike.  I have been thinking about it.  I just never liked them, even on dirt bikes.
I was of the same opinion until I happened to find a really lightweight one that didn't make any wind noise and had a flip up shield that I could crack a bit as needed.  I still prefer a small open helmet when it's hot, but the full face is nice in cold and/or wet weather.  I've even been known to carry both on longer rides. spyder
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.764 seconds with 22 queries.