Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Rain gear  (Read 28016 times)

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
Rain gear
« on: April 25, 2006, 03:21:56 PM »

I'll be doing some long distance riding this summer and am sure will need some good rain gear. Dont want HD all over it, whats a good set?
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: Rain gear
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 05:37:33 PM »

Hey CVOwner, one thing you may want to consider when shopping for rain gear to ride in is visibility.....in a bad thunder storm it's dark and/or that blinding 'white-out' kind of obscurity that puts you at even greater risk of being run over by others dealing w/ poor visibility (wiper/fogging windshields/etc).....I've found while riding w/ others that had dark or light-colored rain suits on, that you could hardly see them and their bikes under these conditions...even w/ the tail lights on.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 05:39:55 PM by spydglide »
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 05:51:13 AM »

Yep - visiblity pretty important when those cages are driving around in the rain!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 09:06:13 AM »

According to all the test comparisons of various rain suits, the Tour Master Elite II (two piece rain suit) came out on top.  I've had mine for about five or six years and haven't had any problems.  They come in assortment of colors.....I have the red, white and black for visability during the rain.  

They have the Nomex on the inside of both pants legs to keep them from being burned on the exhaust.  Also have a corduroy coller that's very comfortable on the neck and they are lined with a netting fabric to keep them from sticking to you.  They have very large flapped pockets so you can get into them even with your gloves on.  They are light weight but very sturdy and can be rolled up very tight and small.  About $80 for the set.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 11:41:42 AM »

According to all the test comparisons of various rain suits, the Tour Master Elite II (two piece rain suit) came out on top.

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 04:15:55 PM »

Froggtoggs are the way to go. I really like mine. Used them a few just times this weekend. They dry quick, they dont make you sweat. I even use mine on hot sunny days, they keep the sun off but still lets me breath.
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

Froggtoggs are the way to go. I really like mine. Used them a few just times this weekend. They dry quick, they dont make you sweat. I even use mine on hot sunny days, they keep the sun off but still lets me breath.

I'll second that endorsement. Best raingear I've ever owned ... no sweating, keeps all rain out!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

mhjimh

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »

My wife and I like our h-d gor-tex it is blight orange and it doubles for cold weather gear. We've riden to daytona for bike week in 35-40 degrease and was warm. and the hole suit rolls up as small as a pair of chaps.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 05:59:51 PM »

My wife gave me a new set of H-D rain gear for Christmas, to replace the one's I wrecked coming home from Biketoberfest. She had given me the Paclite set (98306-05VX and 98307-05VX)  but I thought it was a complete ripoff for the price ($470) so I exchanged it for The Overpass Set (97059-01VX) $150. IMO a lot sturdier construction and a great value at that price.

SCRM-R

• Elite CVO Member
  • It's Only $Money$...And I Can Make Some More!!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 07:32:45 AM »

Froggtoggs are the way to go.....
Yeah, they keep the rain out, but just don't let them touch your hot pipes...they melt like butter. Don't ask how I know. [smiley=oops.gif]
2003 Screamin' Eagle Road King with Custom "Real Fire" Paint Scheme
Zipper's 117" Kit, Including:
   H-D Race Tuner
   Zippers 54MM Throttle Body
   RedShift 647 Cams

Diamond Cut Cylinders & Heads
Custom Engraved Front Lower Legs, Primary Inspection Cover & Saddlebag Latch Covers

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 07:50:21 AM »

Yeah, they keep the rain out, but just don't let them touch your hot pipes...they melt like butter. Don't ask how I know. [smiley=oops.gif]
Fun to remove from the pipes to!
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 10:09:24 AM »

The Tour Master Elite two-piece works fine for us...can get a little warm when the sun comes out, but great for a riding jacket on days that the weather turns cold on you when you're 100 mi. from home.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 10:23:42 AM »

Were do you find these at?

Here's a link to the pants with Nomex in the legs and the jacket (mine is black, red and grey, for visability.....I guess the yellow would offer that, too)  ...........  http://www.kandpleather.com/details.asp?prodid=TM100-5

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »

A couple of years ago my wife bought me the H-D cyclone set. It is expensive and is the Harley orange and black. The best part about this set is that it is Goretex and I don't sweat in it. On those warm rainy days, it is a great improvement over the set I had before. I'm sure there are more economical sets out there but it was a gift and I do like it.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 09:15:59 PM »

Maybe I can get some help here, This morning on Good Morning America Show (I believe it was) an episode on the new cruise ship Freedom of the Sea was being shown.. within that they did a segment on a lightweight waterproof under garment that gets warmer when wet - I got the name as [highlight]Mizuno [/highlight] but couldn't get anywhere on the site regarding the clothes.. Anyone ever heard of this stuff?
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.