Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Banana Has Better Paint Than Cherry Bomb  (Read 2280 times)

SPIDERMAN

Banana Has Better Paint Than Cherry Bomb
« on: April 28, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »

As those of you with SEEGs who follow the site know, Screamin_ Beagle bought a complete Banana Paint Set. Here's the thing, He and I think the Banana has way more clear coat on it than his Cherry Bomb. He's been getting a lot of dings and scratches in the Cherry Bomb lately (one I made - sorry bro) and we've been wondering if the paint is not as hard or what. After researching this (sittin around drinking beer) we believe the answer lies in the Banana's superior clear coat. I've been checking out pics of both the Cherry's and Bananas posted on the site and the Bananas look like their paint is holding up better.

What say you SEEG owners ?  

Sorry to leave you Teal guys out, but no one ever seems to post any pics of their (do they have a nickname?) Teal SEEGs

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Banana Has Better Paint Than Cherry Bomb
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 03:50:28 PM »

Well Spidey, that certainly explains why the cherries are faster--less paint weight.
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 03:51:10 PM »

(do they have a nickname?)

They were most often called jalapenos  [smiley=jalapeno.gif] .

Yeah, I know, I can see why it wasn't real popular either......

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:42 PM »

As those of you with SEEGs who follow the site know, Screamin_ Beagle bought a complete Banana Paint Set. Here's the thing, He and I think the Banana has way more clear coat on it than his Cherry Bomb. He's been getting a lot of dings and scratches in the Cherry Bomb lately (one I made - sorry bro) and we've been wondering if the paint is not as hard or what. After researching this (sittin around drinking beer) we believe the answer lies in the Banana's superior clear coat. I've been checking out pics of both the Cherry's and Bananas posted on the site and the Bananas look like their paint is holding up better.

What say you SEEG owners ?  

Sorry to leave you Teal guys out, but no one ever seems to post any pics of their (do they have a nickname?) Teal SEEGs

I don't know about the bananas, but I know that my cherry is getting chipped up pretty good and it's really aggravating.  One good sized chip in the fender, and a lot of little dings in the fairing... >:(
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

WaSEEG

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 05:04:44 PM »

My paint scratches or gets a ding in it if you look at it wrong.   I've got dings on the bags, front fender, lowers and tank.  Nothing major but I know they are there.  When I had my fairing repaired I also had my rear fender repainted.  The painter said the same thing; very little clear and very little paint.  They put on extra clear at my request and it does seem more durable.  By that I mean no chips in the fairing after a couple of thousand miles where before I'd discover one or two every time I rode the damn thing.  This is especially true of the lowers.  I firmly believe the stock Harley paint on non-CVO bikes is superior to our paint.

Dan
'05 SEEG
PC III usb
SE Air Filter
Freedom Pipes
Freedom Cam
SE 6-speed
VPC
Wild -1 575's
Garmin Zumo 660
Traxxion AK-20's
300mm Bitubo's

'06 Tiara S/4300

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 06:03:17 PM »

I don't know about the bananas, but I know that my cherry is getting chipped up pretty good and it's really aggravating.  One good sized chip in the fender, and a lot of little dings in the fairing... >:(

That's cause you ride it Ernie.  My blue and black has it's fair share at 17k miles.  Maybe I follow too close? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  If I never follow anybody again I should be good. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »

I was thinking it was just me. This last year I've got more than the year before. I blame it on my city and county. They oiled and chipped every road around here and they put the rock on thick. But, my riding buddy says I follow too close too. But like you've already said, If you ride em it's gonna happen.

MYCVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • Live to plumb/plumb to ride
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 08:02:21 PM »

That's cause you ride it Ernie.  My blue and black has it's fair share at 17k miles.  Maybe I follow too close? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]  If I never follow anybody again I should be good. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

My thinking is right with yours JCZ!! You ride it, if not it will be all nice and chip free, and low mileage, and no fun!! And you will always be following someone till you pass the sucker that's in the way!! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
04 SEEG / 05 1200 C / 99 FLSTC / 70 TRIUMPH TROPHY
 ** IT'S A PASSION** NOT A HOBBY**

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 08:55:47 PM »

My paint scratches or gets a ding in it if you look at it wrong.   I've got dings on the bags, front fender, lowers and tank.  Nothing major but I know they are there.  When I had my fairing repaired I also had my rear fender repainted.  The painter said the same thing; very little clear and very little paint.  They put on extra clear at my request and it does seem more durable.  By that I mean no chips in the fairing after a couple of thousand miles where before I'd discover one or two every time I rode the damn thing.  This is especially true of the lowers.  [highlight]I firmly believe the stock Harley paint on non-CVO bikes is superior to our paint.[/highlight]
Dan
Dan,

No doubt about it, the regular production paint from H-D is among the best.  Unfortunately, the extra cost "semi-custom" paint tends to suck.  Maybe they need to just go back to the idea of exclusive colors for CVO's, without the fancy graphics, and paint them in the regular production process.  IMHO, it is past time for the MoCo to either bring all the paint in-house, or at least find a better outside vendor.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 09:01:23 PM »

Dan,

No doubt about it, the regular production paint from H-D is among the best.  Unfortunately, the extra cost "semi-custom" paint tends to suck.  Maybe they need to just go back to the idea of exclusive colors for CVO's, without the fancy graphics, and paint them in the regular production process.  IMHO, it is past time for the MoCo to either bring all the paint in-house, or at least find a better outside vendor.

Jerry

AMEN BROTHER!!!!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 09:10:14 PM »

Brian,

I can't speak for anyone else, but my Cherry seems to have plenty of clear.  In fact, like the black & crimson folks on the 'CUSE, I believe they put too much on the parts with multiple colors.  The dark cherry looks flat, with no real metallic sparkle.  The inner fairing, with only one color, shows plenty of metallic.  It's not something I intend to bitch about, since it isn't obvious like the 'CUSE, but someone with a sharp eye for color would pick up on it.

I've found that my biggest area for chips is the lowers.  So far (knock on wood), the fairing has come through the first year unscathed.  Maybe the 20 coats of carnauba helped???

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

70_GTX

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 09:36:02 PM »

My one chip on the fairing came from a riding lawn mower close to the highway. I saw the rock coming and it was like in slow motion. Like on CSI when they show the bullet coming towards the body. It was small and a bit of touch-up paint makes it hardly noticeable. You kind of think it is just another dead bug.

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 11:16:54 PM »

My  [smiley=pumpkin.gif] seems to be holding up good. Only 1 small chip on the batwing in the silver stripe. I had a rock fly up and break the headlight though. Thank goodness it wasn't the fairing! I tend to adjust my following distance depending on road conditions though.

But when your on the  [smiley=pumpkin.gif] you tend to be more in open air... WFO  8-) [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] ;) ;D.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 12:55:22 AM »

Spidey, I think you got it right. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] I have no dings on my banana that I have not been able to rub out. None have made it thru the clear coat. Now that certainly is not true about the paint on my tour pak. It must have been on the cherry line.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 10:23:35 AM »

Not to re-chew everything said here,  But....the Bananna boats do have more clear.  My cherry bomb is getting more eff'd up by the hour (Glad I bought that Bananna set).   I'm making plans to swap over and send the Cherry parts to my favorite painter to get straightened out.  I agree that the factory should do something to straighten this out.  We spend way too much on these bikes to get inferior paint finishes.

BTW,   I had a Fatboy with a factory custom color ('97).  It was a real crazy red (I think they called it DDR RED ((Drop Dead Red))), which didn't hold up much better.  Maybe the factory should look into this???

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.