Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: LOOKING FOR A NEW CLUTCH LEVER  (Read 11674 times)

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
LOOKING FOR A NEW CLUTCH LEVER
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:23:04 PM »

hi wondering if there is a clutch lever that would make holding clutch in a little easier on 2011
real pain when in traffic
thanks Gabe
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
Re: LOOKING FOR A NEW CLUTCH LEVER
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:34 AM »

No help from me but Thanks Gabe, for posting.  My 2011 FLTRUSE is my first hydraulic clutch.  This thing is waaaay harder to pull than any bike I've ever owned.  What the hell is the hydraulic part for anyways!

I know I'm gettin' older but Dayum!

BALIS

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:26 AM »

Maybe the VPC clutch can resolve your problem if it fit the hydraulic clutch......
www.aim-tamachi.com
AIM Corp
Huntington Beach,CA 92647
Phone 714 848 3030
E-mail info@aim-tamachi.com

I hope this will help you

My wife also is complaining about the hydralic clutch when she is in stop and go traffic or in the twisties.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

well i dont feel so bad now , there is others with the same problem  now we need to found a fix
2009 ultra black

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »

called my dealer Cox's hd Rock Hill talked to bill in service a real gear head. he was not aware of any fix for problem .
10 minutes later i get a call bill is on the phone he asked his techs they did not know of anything so he called Harley about problem  they told him because of 110 they have a heavier spring in it so there  is the answer.
2009 ultra black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »

Unfortunately, anything they could do to reduce the effort at the lever would require them to also spend money on the entire clutch system to increase the torque capacity.  So far Harley's answer to increased torque capacity, over many years, has just been stronger and stronger springs which is the cheapest way to bandaid the problem.  They are leaving it up to the individual riders to spend the bucks, which is the way they tend to deal with most of the other shortcomings of their products.  Get used to it.

One solution that allows for the use of "softer" springs is the variable pressure clutch you can find in the aftermarket (see the post from BALIS above).  That design uses centrigual force and weights to increase the clamping load on the clutch plates as rpm's increase, so the springs don't have to be as strong.  I haven't used one myself, but there are some folks on the site who have.  Perhaps they will share their experiences.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 02:31:04 PM »

That was my first complaint regarding the SERG... the clutch was STIFF considering it was a Hyd unit.

UI've adjusted.. but on the wife's '11 RK I had to install a reduced effort clutch.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 02:48:40 PM »

well i dont feel so bad now , there is others with the same problem  now we need to found a fix
thanks for information i called them the best they can do is about a 10% improvement for $300.00
 which is better but not much for the money
2009 ultra black

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 02:49:56 PM »

Maybe the VPC clutch can resolve your problem if it fit the hydraulic clutch......
www.aim-tamachi.com
AIM Corp
Huntington Beach,CA 92647
Phone 714 848 3030
E-mail info@aim-tamachi.com

I hope this will help you

My wife also is complaining about the hydralic clutch when she is in stop and go traffic or in the twisties.
thanks for information
gabe
2009 ultra black

B.A.

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 03:18:41 PM »

I put the tamachi device in my '01 SERG. Still in there.  Nice job keeping the clutch from slipping but I did not notice a differnce in the pull.  And, I didn't have to grind the derby cover.  Some do, I understand.  It was in the instructions as I remember.

Didn't know that about the 110.

Thanks!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:26:51 PM »

I put the tamachi device in my '01 SERG. Still in there.  Nice job keeping the clutch from slipping but I did not notice a differnce in the pull.  And, I didn't have to grind the derby cover.  Some do, I understand.  It was in the instructions as I remember.

Didn't know that about the 110.

Thanks!

The only way it would decrease the lever effort would be if you used a lighter spring.  If you were just looking to increase the capacity of your clutch to reduce slipping, you probably didn't use a lighter spring and therefore wouldn't have seen reduced lever effort.  :nixweiss:

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »

Jerry

Not that I know anything about clutches but it looks like there moving the point at which whatever in there pushes on the other thingy, to take advantage of leverage to make it easier at the lever. While using the stock springs.  :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:29:10 PM »

Jerry

Not that I know anything about clutches but it looks like there moving the point at which whatever in there pushes on the other thingy, to take advantage of leverage to make it easier at the lever. While using the stock springs.  :nixweiss:

You're right, one of the ways they address the issue is through leverage.  The VPC units come in three versions if I remember correctly, each different pressure plate contacts the spring at a different distance from the center of the spring.  The other method they use to alter effort and clamp load/torque capacity is through various springs, from the stock 1996 level spring to at least two heavier springs.  The current CVO110 engines use a stronger spring than the 1996 standard springs or the previous SE springs used in the CVO103.  Fine tuning the effort versus clamp load will probably require utilizing both strategies, spring choice and pressure plate choice. 

One thing that could help is a combination of a better basic clutch, like something from Rivera or Barnett with more surface area (and thus more torque capacity) along with the VPC.  I've never researched it, but for someone willing to spend the money it might be possible to make that 10-20% improvement more like a 30-40% improvement.  Just thinking out loud here.  Has anyone actually done this on a 110?

Jerry

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »

I don't like the clutch pull either. I've lost some hand strength over the years. So I notice the increased pull in heavy traffic and at long lights. Isn't gettin' old wonderful? So How much would it cost to replace the factory hydraulic clutch with a cable clutch?  I doubt I could do this myself so The labor would probably be the killer here.  My friends 09SERG was traded off because the original owner could not deal with the hydraulic clutch. Just thinking out loud.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »

I know the clutch-lever task cause of the vrod of my wife.

http://oberon-performance.co.uk/

With this lever, you can change the distance between grip and lever,
which helped out my wife.

It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.