Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: LOOKING FOR A NEW CLUTCH LEVER  (Read 11668 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: LOOKING FOR A NEW CLUTCH LEVER
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »

I'm having the same problem. I'm blaming it on arthritis. A lot better sounding than just being "weak"  :P. In truth, I'm fine until I've been riding a while and my arthritis pain kicks in. I've thought that an adjustable set of levers would probably work. Until now, I haven't been able to find any. Now I see a bunch of them on J&P's website.

Here's a link:

http://www.jpcycles.com/motorcycle-parts/2011-harley-davidson-cvo-road-glide-ultra-fltruse/roland-sands-design/levers?results=100

Those adjustable levers from Roland Sands won't fit the CVO hydraulic clutch, even though the catalog fitment page claims they will.  I've verified with them that the fitment information is incorrect in the catalog.

Looking for different levers to reduce the reach is not going to be a fruitful search.  Any lever that reduces reach will also reduce travel, and that will not allow full clutch release with the hydraulic clutch.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

07FLHTCU

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide
    • Fast Cash Pawnbrokers
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:30 PM »

That makes sense. With the cable clutches you just have to keep the cable adjusted (or a bit tighter than the normal play) and they work. Because normally, there's a little extra slack and as long as you keep it adjusted, they work fine. I guess then when you pull the hyd. clutch lever, it doesn't disengage the clutch any more than needed? Ie. there isn't any extra "play"?
2011 Road Glide CVO

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 06:19:02 PM »

That makes sense. With the cable clutches you just have to keep the cable adjusted (or a bit tighter than the normal play) and they work. Because normally, there's a little extra slack and as long as you keep it adjusted, they work fine. I guess then when you pull the hyd. clutch lever, it doesn't disengage the clutch any more than needed? Ie. there isn't any extra "play"?

The difference is that a cable clutch has adjustable free play, so if you reduce lever travel and reduce freeplay at the same time you can still get the clutch to release completely.  There is no free play in the hydraulic clutch, and there is no adjustment.  You would have to change the sizes of the pistons in the master cylinder and actuator to be able to obtain the same release rod travel with less lever travel.  Btw, even if such parts were available, making the change would increase the effort at the lever, which is not what anyone here is after. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.