Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Author Topic: Baker DD6  (Read 11908 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
Baker DD6
« on: April 12, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »

Couple of quick questions. I finally bit the bullet and am going to get the DD6 installed in my 06 SEUC.

Is there a 1st gear stop? I thougth I read somewhere that there wasn't, but the Baker guys says there is??  I would sure appreciate the straight dope there.

Also, what is the gear lube capacity with the new gear set? I know it uses the same housing, but want to make sure I only need to pick up one qt of the Mobil1 75w90.  Or do they recommend the 140?  I just don't want that HD Syn3 crap anywhere near it!
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
Re: Baker DD6
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:10:56 PM »

Had a Baker DD6 in Elvis Magloo.

Can't think of a thing to complain about it

Seems to me it used an even qt of lube.

I don't recall any leftover bottles of AMSOIL Gear Lube (recommended by Baker) sitting around the garage

B B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:21:32 PM »

Thanks man - Do you recall if it had 1st gear and 6th gear stops?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:24:20 PM »

Thanks man - Do you recall if it had 1st gear and 6th gear stops?

Call me stupid, I am not sure what you mean by stops

B B

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

1st gear stop-Yes-can't go lower, you know when you hit first.
6th gear stop-No
Capacity = 23oz
DD6 comes with a bottle of Red Line Shock Proof.  Now recommended by Baker.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 04:52:10 PM »

I just talked to James over there and he said they include one 23Qt bottle of the Spectro 75w140. However, they recommend the Redline ShockProof Heavyweight which 75w250 - Whoa!  I just wonder about the fuel economy running something that thick. He did say 140 is OK.

He also said the drum has a positive stop for the top and bottom for 1st and 6th. That's great news! I read on another forum there was no 1st stop, and my heart almost dropped.

Thanks guys!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 05:39:22 PM »

6th gear stop-No
Capacity = 23oz

Well then yes my DD6 had stops. Guess they've changed their gear oil recommendation. It WAS Amsoil. Redline is good stuff though  :2vrolijk_21:

Magloo I can't say what they trans will do for you but in my 03 SERK, it changed everything. That bike was about as close to perfect for shift points etc as any I've owned. I am a huge Baker DD6 fan ! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

B B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »

Well then yes my DD6 had stops. Guess they've changed their gear oil recommendation. It WAS Amsoil. Redline is good stuff though  :2vrolijk_21:

Magloo I can't say what they trans will do for you but in my 03 SERK, it changed everything. That bike was about as close to perfect for shift points etc as any I've owned. I am a huge Baker DD6 fan ! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

B B

Thanks man - I'm really looking forward to this upgrade!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »

I just want to say that gear set is fantastic.    Smooth as anything and neutral is very easy to find too.   Yes it does have a stop for first gear.  They will recommend the gear oil to use.  It is nice and thick and is good for a year.  You will love how nice it works.  I got the one with the shorter first gear.   They told me that I could wind it out more if I wanted too.  I'd say that is the best investment I have made on my 04 seeg.    Makes me want to keep it forever.  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:02:06 PM by cvostu »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 11:06:34 AM »

I just want to say that gear set is fantastic.    Smooth as anything and neutral is very easy to find too.   Yes it does have a stop for first gear.  They will recommend the gear oil to use.  It is nice and thick and is good for a year.  Tiy will love how nice it works.  I got the one with the shorter first gear.   They told me that I could wind it out more if I wanted too.  I'd say that is the best investment I have made on my 04 seeg.    Makes me want to keep it forever.  :2vrolijk_21:

I went back and forth on that lower ratio for 1st gear option, and I decided to keep the stock ratio. With all of the motor mods, I'm putting down around 102HP/112TQ and really don't need the added leverage. First gear comes and goes pretty quickly already, and I don't do much parade mode, so I figured the stock ratio make more sense.

I do a good amount of highway cruising and getting those rev's down to a reasonable number at highway sppeds was my primary concern. As it is now, I'm turning 2600RPM at 60, 2800 at 65 and 3000 at 70, so getting another gear to pull that 3000 down to 2600 at 70 is going to be very welcome. My 1800 mile Sturgis trip is going to be much more enjoyable this year!

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »

I went back and forth on that lower ratio for 1st gear option, and I decided to keep the stock ratio. With all of the motor mods, I'm putting down around 102HP/112TQ and really don't need the added leverage. First gear comes and goes pretty quickly already, and I don't do much parade mode, so I figured the stock ratio make more sense.

I do a good amount of highway cruising and getting those rev's down to a reasonable number at highway sppeds was my primary concern. As it is now, I'm turning 2600RPM at 60, 2800 at 65 and 3000 at 70, so getting another gear to pull that 3000 down to 2600 at 70 is going to be very welcome. My 1800 mile Sturgis trip is going to be much more enjoyable this year!

Magloo, you're running about the same numbers I had in Elvis. I'm not a big wind it up in 1st gear guy, get me into 2nd and I start cranking and I can say that 2nd through 5th always put a big smile on my face. And shifting into 6th was so cool, the tone of the engine was like perfect running down the highway at 75- 80 all day long. I miss Big E more than any motorcycle I've owned in 40 + years of riding. I made a stupid decision to part with it while recovering from knee replacement surgery and stoned on percocet. Since I don't usually do dumb things where motorcycles are concerned, my wife thought I knew what I was up to. I wish she'd said something cause she loved Elvis too. Anyway, one of the things that made that bike so fricken perfect man was that Baker DD6.

OK, one caveat. You need to ensure that the tech doing the install is like THE BEST in the business in your area. While we've trumpeted the virtues of Baker Trans here on your thread, you should be aware that they have to be installed exactly perfectly perfect or you will spin gear shaft bearings and have other issues. They are machined to very tight tolerances and as such have to be installed to very tight tolerances. They are NOT a plug and play kind of thing. None of this should alarm you cause as you've seen here we love our Baker Trannies. Just wanted you to be aware of the caveat.

B B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 01:40:43 PM »

The local Harley Dealer is doing the install, so I gotta hope they know what they are doing. They claim they've done a number of them, and Burt was just out doing a seminar show in March (primarily to drum up some business) so all I can do is cross my fingers. I will however be standing over their shoulders, so I hope things go well. if not, I'll just ride out to Michigan and let Baker sort it out.

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »

I'm turning 2600RPM at 60, 2800 at 65 and 3000 at 70, so getting another gear to pull that 3000 down to 2600 at 70 is going to be very welcome. My 1800 mile Sturgis trip is going to be much more enjoyable this year!

With the DD6, at 3000, I'm hitting just north of 80.  70 is around 2500.  You're gonna love it.  While you are doing the upgrade, add the Baker high torque bearing kit

http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=189-56&type=4

and the Baker spacer

http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=33344-94S&type=0&eq=&key=it

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »

Are those two items included in the full kit? It's getting installed Friday morning.

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 04:56:57 PM »

No, they are extras (of course).  The Bearing is highly recomended for higher tq motors.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »

Welp, I told Burt what I was running, and asked if I need to go with the OD6 and he said no, just go with the DD6 kit and I'll be set. He never brought up anything else. Not much I can do about it now, as it took 2 weeks just to get this opening.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »

Magoo.  Not to worry.  The DD6 is a great unit and you will love it.   I do 70 at 2500 and 80 at 3000.   My exhaust is just right and I gear my stereo at half volume.   I do have an amp tho.   Shhhh... Will make you feel you are on a new bike.   Don't forget, you will have to program your speedometer.   That pc comes with the kit I think and stays on the bike in the side cover.   It's fun setting it too.   let us know what you think once it installed.   :2vrolijk_21:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »

I trying to reach the Baker techs this morning to discuss the HT Bearing and Spacer concern.

I did do some searches last night and found this link that seems to suggest that at least the HT Bearings come with the Builders Kit, so I might be set.

http://www.bikernet.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=6765

However, I'm trying to confirm this is indeed the case. If not, I'll see if they can overnight the parts. Nothing like a last minute panic attack!   :orange:

Thanks for the heads up Matt!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:04:36 AM by mrmagloo »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2011, 11:06:35 AM »

While you are doing the upgrade, add the Baker high torque bearing kit
http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=189-56&type=4

and the Baker spacer
http://store.bakerdrivetrain.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=33344-94S&type=0&eq=&key=it

I would highly recommend you do this, put the instal off.

6th gear stop-No
Capacity = 23oz

1st gear yes
6th gear yes

Kit comes with whomever Baker feels like promoting at the time. Mine came with BelRay. Red Line in it now.

I am happy with mine, but doubt I would do it again. I'm sure whatever bike I buy next will already have a 6 speed.

The nice thing about eh DD6 is you can order it with an optional 1st or leave it and just fine tune with a comp sprocket.

Stock the trans offers about a 400 RPM drop at 70 mph.

I changed the comp sprocket to one less tooth (Baker item, $150). I am now about 200 RPMs down at 70 over stock.
But my entire gear range is down a bit so the bike seems a bit more "lively". And it puts me at a good RPM at 70 for cruising.

And with the Baker - if you sell the bike or don't like it you can easily revert to the stock gear set. Can't do that with the SE kit without replacing the trans case.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 11:08:09 AM »

You might have seen somewhere that 1st gear can be picky - that is typically an adjustment issue.

I did my adjustment by the book, had my issues, tweaked it a bit and now it is fine.

MV 2013

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Thanks Duane,

Well, I found that I had to special order the HT Bearing, Spacer, and the Recalibration box too. not sure how that was missed, but it's going overnight, so it'll all be there by noon tomorrow, so I'm set.

I went with the stock 1st gear and compensation ratio, as I was primarily interested in the ~400 rpm drop in 6th. 1st - 5th, will be the same, which is fine with me. I'm pushing 102HP/112TQ so it's got enough oomph with the stock ratio's, so no need to swap to the 27, imo.

I hope everything goes smoothly tomorrow! Bad thing is, it's supposed to rain cats and dogs, so I'll be a little moist on the maiden voyage. Sacrifices we must make...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2011, 09:42:33 PM »

My question of the day is,,, what are you guys using for gear oil in your DD6?   I'm need to add, change , what's the best choice?    Thanks. 

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 10:11:31 PM »

Redline shockproof, which I think is what Baker recommends now.

hogasm

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:31 AM »

Redline shockproof, which I think is what Baker recommends now.

Guess it is whoever Baker is getting the better deal from as to what oil comes with their kits

Mine came with Amsoil 75-140 back in 05........and i do not recommend it....a 6 speed upgrade...waste of money

Porthole's came with BelRay

and now Redline :nixweiss:

who next week :huepfenlol2:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 07:30:47 AM »

Mine came with Amsoil 75-140 back in 05........and i do not recommend it....a 6 speed upgrade...waste of money

So.......you're saying the 6 speed upgrade is......a waste of money?  The 400rpm's that you drop your crusin' speed is just not worth it or why?  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 09:55:17 AM »

Guess it is whoever Baker is getting the better deal from as to what oil comes with their kits

Porthole's came with BelRay

and now Redline :nixweiss:

who next week :huepfenlol2:

I had a 2003 SERK I bought new with the standard H-D five speed trans in it. I totaled that bike and replaced it with a used 03 SERK that the previous owner had installed a Baker DD6 in. To say there was no comparison would be an understatement. The DD6 complimented the slightly massaged 103 CVO motor perfectly. That motorcycle did everything I wanted it to. I now have an 2007 Road Glide with the standard H-D Cruise Glide 6 speed trans. It is cheap junk compared to the Baker DD6. About the only good thing I can say is that 6th gear at 75 mph produces good mpg.

So there you have two opinons 180 degrees from each other. I have never understood what Brian's issues with the DD6 are/were except that I always had the feeling somebody somewhere had not gotten the orginal install correct and he paid the price over time with other issues. OR, perhaps I am not sure what he wanted out of it. For me, riding my 03 SERK with the DD6, it felt as though I was always able to find the exact correct gear for every riding situation. I never felt like I should be one gear higher or one gear lower or somewhere in the middle. The trans shifted positively, I never had any issues with gear jam or anything like it. The only issue with the Baker is that for whatever reason they wear out the big bearings on the main shaft and counter shaft. I think I got 20,000 miles out of the orginals. I believe Brian's experince was quite a bit worse. So that's the downside. Having said that, Baker makes a variety of 6 speeds. You can buy a Baker six speed with over drive vice the direct drive of the DD6. What's the difference ? Direct Drive is 1/1 in 6th gear. Overdrive is .86/1 or some other number that represents the final drive sprocket turning more than one revolution for each revolution of the engine. And of course then there's the Baker seven speed which I don't have a clue about but seems like there must be an awful lot of shifting invovled with seven gears.

B B

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2011, 12:40:17 PM »

Regarding the gear oil, I always use Mobil1 on everything (easy to source locally), and seeing Mobil1 wasn't listing on their recommendation sheet, and seeing some references to certain types will corrode any brass present, I called Baker to get their advice. I was told that Mobil1 is perfectly fine, that the 75w90 or 75w140 is great stuff to use, and I went with the later.

That said, 5,000 miles later, I'm loving the trans. That extra 400 drop on top is the bomb. The ratios are well situated for my warmed over 103, and a cruise at 75mph is perfect.

That said, the only thing I have noticed is, you can't pussy-foot the shift or it will grind lightly a bit.  The stocker seemed to 'suck' the shift in if you went a little light with the shift, but the Baker doesn't. If you hear the grind, it'll revert back to the last gear and you have to try again. I'm not sure why that is, but it only happens when I'm not paying attention.

hogasm

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »

I have never understood what Brian's issues with the DD6 are/were except that I always had the feeling somebody somewhere had not gotten the orginal install correct and he paid the price over time with other issues. OR, perhaps I am not sure what he wanted out of it.

B B

BB I finally had a little quirk with the DD6 starting last week. Removed the side cover and the c-clip on the trap door had broken causing the gears to slide and not allow 1 and 2 to work properly. It would jump from 1st to 2nd without me shifting. No biggie, and this was after 55k miles

What I have seen around here is that many riders want a 6th gear to lower the engine rpm's while cruising. Problem is is that they are riding at such low rpms that they are beating the piss out of the crank and then blame someone or something else for this. The money one will save by installing will never be recouped during the life of the bike. At $4 gallon and a price of 2K for the gearset it will take 200K miles to break even......but how many cranks will that person go through to get to 200K miles :nixweiss:

Most will sell the bike way before 200K miles so it is just like pissing good money away. Why do you think the EVO motor with a 5 speed lasted so well after so many miles......the motor was run in the torque of the motor and not lugged.

Yes I fell for the 6 speed have to have mentality back in 04. Won't waste good money again on one :coolblue:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

Firstly, I agree that if someone is lugging the engine, they are doing a tremendous amount of harm.  That said, while I also agree that from a purely ROI basis, you'll never come out ahead with this 'investment', the fact is, buying a CVO in the firstly place is probably worse, if you're playing bean counter!

I mean, I knew upfront that if I happened to get any better mpg out of the swap, it would be minimal, but the real value comes in with the comfort level that 400 rpm drop brings. With the 5 speed at 75 mph, I was running around 3200, which is very buzzy, and when you're doing a long run - say 920 going to Sturgis, that same speed at just under 2800 rpm makes a world of difference. It's quieter, smoother, and makes the ride enormously more enjoyable. That alone is worth the price of admission.  Seeing Harley finally came to the plate thanks to Burt, this is a non-issue for the newer bikes, but seeing I plan to keep mine until I croak, why not?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:09 PM »

Sounds as if the Bakers don't have the longevity that the harley units have.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

Sounds as if the Bakers don't have the longevity that the harley units have.  spyder
What makes you say that?  Have you seen the gear sets side by side?  I'd put my money on the Baker as being more reliable any day.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2011, 11:20:34 AM »

What makes you say that?  Have you seen the gear sets side by side?  I'd put my money on the Baker as being more reliable any day.
Only referring to the previous expressions in this thread of problems with the Baker that I don't hear with the stock trannies.  :-\ spyder

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »

Personally, I absolutely LOVE my Baker, I don't think anything could convince me to ever go with any other trans !

I've permanently said goodbye to an excessively tall 1st gear, mushy shifts, clunking & whining, difficulty finding neutral,and all the rest of that H-D trans nonsense.....

......as for my stock six, it's not even a worthwhile doorstop
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

hogasm

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2011, 12:23:21 PM »

Only referring to the previous expressions in this thread of problems with the Baker that I don't hear with the stock trannies.  :-\ spyder

The DD6 doesn't fair very well when installed behind a stock motor like mine :coolblue:

but

After over 50k miles only one small glitch :huepfenlol2:

still

should have never bought the thing to begin with

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2011, 07:05:59 PM »

I love my DD6. I haven't had one issue with it.  It's everything the HD isn't.  Easy to find neutral and very smooth.  I'm doing 70 ar 2600 and 80 at 3000   And it's pretty quiet too.   What else could I want from a gear set? :nixweiss:

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 01:00:36 AM »

HOGASM's full of hogwash - he talked me into putting one in my bike  :huepfenjump3:

MV 2013

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 12:03:57 PM »

HOGASM's full of hogwash - he talked me into putting one in my bike  :huepfenjump3:

Like how he jived MJZ about those three big Merc 300's on Mark's 38ft Donzi and he's runnin Merc's himself on his Donzi.

Seems to me us Brians are all a bit "off"    :D

B B

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

I still think mine was and still is worth it.  The trip to MV made me appreciate it even more.  I was averaging almost 38 mpg and we were cruzing back pretty good.   I would do it again.  I just met up with a guy with an 09 SERG  and he was complaining how noisy his transmission was in 4 and 5th gears.  He noticed my Baker and did mention that he was familiar with Baker products.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »

I didn't do the 6 for mileage, and is hasn't helped anyway. But what I do like is the extra gear range for when you are not in either 1st or 6th.
I also changed the comp sprocket (baker item) to one tooth less. This makes the final drive gearing similar to what was offered back before the change in 01-02.

So a little more lower end and more gears to chose from. Doubt I would do it again though, most likely any new bike I get will come with a 6 from the factory.

MV 2013

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2011, 09:56:10 AM »

I installed one in my old 02 Ultra glide and loved it. I hated the way the stock Harley transmission shifted. The Baker DD6 was silky smooth and shifting without the clutch was my norm. I wish I could make my 2011 shift like it. If the 7 speed would shift like the DD6 I would buy it in a heartbeat just for that reason. It has to be something in the shift drum and selector mechanism that is the secret.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »

I would have to say mine is not silky smooth. Getting first can be a real trick sometimes, and it doesn't like the rapid downshift through the gears with un-clutching, as in coming to a quick stop and just downshifting 5-4-3-2-1.

But it will shift fairly smooth without the clutch.

The 2-3 shift is a real rattler on mine. Will probably take it out this year and send back to Baker to have it checked.

MV 2013

hogasm

« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »

So a little more lower end and more gears to chose from. Doubt I would do it again though, most likely any new bike I get will come with a 6 from the factory.

Yea those BMW's are nice aren't they :huepfenlol2:

hogasm

« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »

Had a c clip on the trap door break which made the shift paws to wear. Replaced them before MV

While riding some of the twisties and downshifting....it would find neutral.....quite a few times actually....which is scary when you need to power through some of those turns and the bike is in neutral :nervous:

Back apart to take some measurements :soapbox:

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 09:24:43 PM »

Hi,
 I have FXR4. It has high gearing stock on a 5 speed. 3000 RPM @5th gear is 80MPH. It has a 34t tranny and 65t rear pully. It dont like 55mph high for 4th and lugs in 5th.
There seems to be a big jump from 4th to 5th as if not even spaced. If I get a 6 speed I will need to change some pullys as not ge geared to tall in 6th gear.
  My question is, does the gearing seem evenly spaced 1st through 5th or 6th ? I will be running a 100" Fatso motor with about 110hp/110 tourque. Baker said I should run a overdrive tranny with a big motor that the DD6 was for stock Harleys. I would like a tranny with evenly spaced gears without big gaps, Any suggestions on tranny gearing options?
     Can the DD6 use the N1 shift? I know the OD6 can use it and can be ordered when ordering the gearset that they would swap out the shift drum when shipped.
 How does the DD6 handle the high horsepower in you motors? I prefer the DD6 over the OD6. I don't think the DD6 can use the N1 shift drum.
Finall question. Now that you have the bugs worked out, are you happy? Is it worth the money?
Thanks,
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 07:21:32 PM »

I am thinking about selling my Evo motor from my FXR4 that had 24k miles to help pay for a Baker DD6. Hope to get about 15 hundred bucks for it.  I started the 100" Fatso motor but got a great deal on a S&S V111 Evo motor for $4,550. Took the TC parts and hopped up my son's 88 TC to 95" he loves it. I now have alittle over 5k miles on the new motor and I love it.
 The gearing on my FXR4 bike is stock 5 speed 25 motor/36 clutch and 32 tranny/65 rear wheel. It runs 80 mph at about 3k. Running 55 t 70 sucks. 4th gear 3k rpm  5th gear 2.2k rpm  chugs motor. Running 55 to 70 I am constantly changing gears. I looked at the Baker site. Thinking about the DD6  and use the stock 25 tooth motor sprocket and not use the the 28 or optional 27 tooth motor sprocket/chain. The 6 speed will give  me more gears too pick from but still have top end gearing that I have now.
If I use the stock 25 tooth motor sprocket do I still neeed a speedo recal unit? I just bought a Barnett Scorpian Clutch too.
Will the DD6 handle the S&S V111 116HP/122 ft.lbs torque? Baker tried to get me to buy a OD6 instead because it handles mor power.
Should  I sell or keep my original motor?
Ltank

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »

I contacted Baker.  My motor is too powerful for the DD6 they recommended the OD6. My stock gearing is too tall to use with the OD6. I will change the motor from 25 to 24 and the transmission from 32 to 30.Then change the rear wheel puppy from 65 to 70 and then the stock 5 speed to the Rivera Promo Powerdeive 6 speed. This will give a 3.50 fivth and a .86 overdrive. It should be fun in a FXR with a S&S V111.
Ltank
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]

Page created in 5.13 seconds with 22 queries.